Shipping companies from Canada to Sydney

Cegor

I realize this forum is mainly for UK citizens...but i'm gonna throw it out there in the hopes of getting help/guidance as i'm at a loss with how things have unfolded out our end when it comes to shipping companies and finding a 3rd party insurance company.

total companies contacted = 6 (googled international shipping and filled out a form and I guess it got sent to the 6 companies who contacted me). 

companies that can't come to the house to see in person what we are shipping= 2 (so I guess these two are out)

We decided to have one guy come to the house last night. Everything went ok but after he left I googled the reviews for his shipping company and they were NOT good. So i'm now in panic mode. He happened to mention his company also dealt with lo and behold the other company we were going to have come by (which has better reviews online)....so how does it all work?

does one guy work for 3 different companies hoping to land the gig? We never mentioned to him we were scoping out other companies or having someone else come by.....

I soooooo wished I could name the companies on here, it would make things much easier. :(

2 companies with good reviews are super expensive so we are at a loss of who to trust our belongings to and ultimately our money.

So this is that for the shipping side. As per the insurance side....well I have not been able to find anyone local (be it in the city where I live or country wide) that can help me. I contacted one only to be told they only deal with big moves (as though my move wasn't  :|) meaning dealing with corporations only. I got asked if the move is personal or if my company is moving us. Seems if it's a company move they are sooooo willing to help

I'm frustrated and flat out disappointed. I can't stop hubby's move as he is set to leave in 3 weeks to go to Sydney and I'm left to deal with this whole mess. From the purging, selling, packing and cleaning,  renting the house, etc....I'm left to handle it all.......a week is now gone and we are no further ahead than we were before. Still no moving company and no insurance company.....

this is a bit of a vent too....

Can anyone recommend a shipping company? are you able to name them on this forum? please pm me if possible. I'm truly having a melt down here....:(

Are you wanting a whole container to ship everything or something like a self pack/load Move cube more for personal effects and the odd item of furniture? 

Tbh I think most on here will be pretty clueless about how it works in Canada. 

1 minute ago, snifter said:

Are you wanting a whole container to ship everything or something like a self pack/load Move cube more for personal effects and the odd item of furniture? 

Tbh I think most on here will be pretty clueless about how it works in Canada. 

20 ft container. and yes, I thought so but worth a try posting on this forum in the event people from other parts of the world can chime in :( 

You can mention company names on here. What you can’t do however is name and shame type things naming them. That’s a big no for legal reasons. If people post a reply slating a company, the company name will be removed. 

@MaggieMay24 can you help on this one at all? 

How it works in Canada for shipping is perhaps not how it works in the UK or Aus.

Companies working with each other in same country for international shipping is a new one on me (as opposed to destination country company the other end). Get the other company out and ask them how it works in relation to if they work with this first company or not and why and if they do, if you can opt not to have them involved. Take charge a bit, ask those questions and go from there. 

With regard to insurance, it may be you are stuck with shipping companies own. 

1 minute ago, snifter said:

How it works in Canada for shipping is perhaps not how it works in the UK or Aus.

Companies working with each other in same country for international shipping is a new one on me (as opposed to destination country company the other end). Get the other company out and ask them how it works in relation to if they work with this first company or not and why and if they do, if you can opt not to have them involved. Take charge a bit, ask those questions and go from there. 

With regard to insurance, it may be you are stuck with shipping companies own. 

we will try to get the company to send someone home but have the feeling might end up being the same guy that was here last nite!...with our luck thus far....wouldn't be far fetched

8 minutes ago, snifter said:

You can mention company names on here. What you can’t do however is name and shame type things naming them. That’s a big no for legal reasons. If people post a reply slating a company, the company name will be removed. 

@MaggieMay24 can you help on this one at all? 

thank you Snifter.

Here are the names of the companies but I can't find much more than one or two reviews online so my judgement is limited based on such little info on them.

6 companies that got back to me 

1) Euro-Transport- quote given but can't send someone to view items. have not been able to locate online any reviews on them. mid range price.

2) Intra-Globe- quote given but can't send someone to view and can't find reviews or people bragging about them. Mid range price

3) Starline Overseas- quote given (pretty pricey), is able to send someone to the house and has good reviews online

4) Quality Move Management- seems to be a sister company of Allied International-  quote given (pretty pricey) is able to send someone home and has good reviews based on Allied Int'l not so QMM

5) Europack- quote given, low end of all 6 quotes. guy was at our house last night. poor reviews found online. he mentioned Brytor when we were talking to him

6) Brytor International- quote given. able to come to house. not sure if same guy from Europack will come to the house. difference in price from Europack $1k roughly. has ok reviews online. but if it is the same guy as Europack so I gather they get contracted out....or do they work for different companies.

I don't know if anyone out there has any feedback to give on these companies.

6 hours ago, Cegor said:

thank you Snifter.

Here are the names of the companies but I can't find much more than one or two reviews online so my judgement is limited based on such little info on them.

6 companies that got back to me 

1) Euro-Transport- quote given but can't send someone to view items. have not been able to locate online any reviews on them. mid range price.

2) Intra-Globe- quote given but can't send someone to view and can't find reviews or people bragging about them. Mid range price

3) Starline Overseas- quote given (pretty pricey), is able to send someone to the house and has good reviews online

4) Quality Move Management- seems to be a sister company of Allied International-  quote given (pretty pricey) is able to send someone home and has good reviews based on Allied Int'l not so QMM

5) Europack- quote given, low end of all 6 quotes. guy was at our house last night. poor reviews found online. he mentioned Brytor when we were talking to him

6) Brytor International- quote given. able to come to house. not sure if same guy from Europack will come to the house. difference in price from Europack $1k roughly. has ok reviews online. but if it is the same guy as Europack so I gather they get contracted out....or do they work for different companies.

I don't know if anyone out there has any feedback to give on these companies.

When assessing quotes, a good rule of thumb is to throw out the lowest bid - especially if the lowest one is far lower than the others, because that indicates he's undercutting to get the business and won't do a good job (or will find sneaky ways to charge you extra later).  

Are these the companies?

https://www.yelp.com.au/biz/euro-transport-pointe-claire

https://www.ripoffreport.com/reports/euro-transport-international/anjou-quebec-h1j-2eb/euro-transport-international-they-scammed-me-too-anjou-quebec-914797

The second link raises a good point.  There are always charges to be paid when the container arrives in the destination country, and many shippers don't include that in their quote.  It's not a scam, it's the way it's normally done and will be revealed in their small print.  So check to see if the expensive quotes include those charges, that may explain some of the difference.

https://www.mymovingreviews.com/movers/intraglobe-5626

http://www.movers.com/moving-reviews/intraglobe-hidden-charges-28182.html

Quality Move Management looks like an agent, not a removalist.   Their job is to manage the move for you, which can be useful if (as often happens) there is one removalist doing the Canadian end and someone else doing the Australia end. Looks like Allied is the company they use at the Canadian end.  

Europack - https://www.movingcompanyreviews.com/QC/Dorval/europack-international-movers-inc-65283

https://www.yelp.com.au/biz/europack-the-international-movers-edmonton

Edited by Marisawright

A note about having someone visit the house - it's not a deal-breaker if you are confident of the quantity you're sending.

For instance, if you were moving locally, a common scam is that the removalist asks you what needs to be moved, he quotes a price, and then when he arrives, it turns out your move is much bigger than he quoted.  He's able to blame you, because you probably under-estimated how many boxes you were going to fill - or maybe he quoted for an average two-bedroom flat, but he'll claim you have far more stuff than average.  Whereas if he actually comes to the house to see what you've got, he can't claim it was your fault the quote is wrong, and therefore he can't charge you extra.

However, if you're confident you need a whole 20 ft container, then they should quote to ship a 20 ft container, so that part of the quote should be straightforward and they don't need to see what's being put inside it.  The unknown is the packing.  If you're asking them to pack all the boxes as well as loading and shipping, then they have some leeway to operate the same scam, and it's best for them to view.

The bottom line is that there's no point in them coming to look at the stuff after they've quoted, unless they are just giving you a ballpark figure at first, and say they'll confirm after the visit. The whole point of the visit is to assess what you're shipping and give you an accurate price for the job.