Emma_M

TAFE or apprenticeship

I’m looking for some information on options for my son when we move to Oz, he will be 16 and will have completed his national 5 qualifications. He is hoping to get a building trade apprenticeship either bricklayer or joiner, or study something similar at college.

what would be the best way to do this? Would his National 5 qualifications be enough to either get an apprenticeship or into TAFE or would he be required to go back into school?

anyone with any previous experience in this situation I’d love to hear from you!

thanks 

My son started an apprentiship part time (1 day a week) when in Year 10 at school, once he graduated Yr 12 it turned into full time. Every year he does a few  blocks (normally 3 or 4 day bocks) of TAFE training  where certain aspects of his apprentiship are signed off. The majority of the time he is 'at work' learning on the job. He should be signed off completely by the end of this year.

Cal x

• Like 1

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Like Cal said a lot can get a school based apprenticeship from Yr 10 onwards, my son is also doing one. 

Basically what you need to do is look on websites like Seek, or Indeed or state specific sites like https://busyatwork.com.au/jobs/ then you apply for the job. So it’s just like applying for a full time job with an interview etc. If he gets the job they then get him to sign up with a training provider.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Great thanks Cal and Pom queen! So would you suggest he goes back to school when we arrive, and try for an apprenticeship that way?? Might be a good way to integrate and make friends? 

I’ll have a good look through the link etc x