Once you have migrated where do you go on holiday?

Leighbee98

We have only holidayed in Australia so far, as has been said it is that vast it would take a lifetime to explore, Western Australia is an amazing state from the lush green of the South to the red dirt up North fantastic place to explore, we enjoy camping and it's great getting off the beaten track in a 4wd something you couldn't dream of doing back in the UK.

We are fortunate to get more annual leave here and try to make the most of it by getting away as often as possible even just long weekends away, we do have a holiday booked later in the year to Japan as it's somewhere I have always wanted to visit and my daughter is studying Japanese at school.

Not done Bali yet either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Skani said:

New Zealand and Thailand.

We visited Thailand often when my brother and his family lived there.  My favourite part is the north of the country.  Also went to Cambodia, Laos and Vietnam.  Went to  Myanmar (Burma) last year.  Yes to NZ too.  We've also been to China, India and Sri Lanka.

We are in Brisbane, and with a young child we have stayed fairy conservative and not gone too far away. Having said that, we didn’t need to. Echoing what others have said there is much to see and do in just a few hours drive away.

Interestingly last year (having been here 7 years) I missed the cold! So we had a short break over winter in the Gold Coast hinterland (Springbrook National Park) did all the walks, glow worm caves, waterfalls etc. Great climate as too hot in summer to walk far. Then enjoyed hunting for wood for a log fire which we enjoyed with cheese and red wine?Went a further hour south to Byron bay and stayed in an amazing house with stayz (inland) with stunning views, and picked fruit off the local trees which were in season (oranges,lemons and macadamia nuts!!) Take 2 of the log fire, very enjoyable stay. 

Also New Zealand, 4 hr flight. Beautiful place. Hired a car and drove around north island. 

Otherwise, we love Sunshine Coast, (keep going back) Noosa, Whitsundays and the Barrier reef.

Havent been to Fiji/Vanuatu etc yet but it’s on the hit list. Lots of people on the eastern coast do cruises around the islands.

Awesome place to live, hope it goes well for you with the visa etc. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bobj said:

The Kimberley Region and the Northern Territory, both for barramundi fishing and gemstone fossicking.

Cheers, Bobj.

OH has been fossicking in the Weld River area of north east Tasmania looking for Tasmanian sapphires.  No luck so far.  :P

17 hours ago, Leighbee98 said:

Fiji? Cook Islands? French Polynesia? anyone been

(I have family in the cook islands im told!!)

We have friends who have done those. 

Also consider New Zealand, Singapore, Hong Kong, of course large parts of Asia (Vietnam is popular in our family it seems). Japan is meant to be good for skiing and visits in the warmer months also. India, some middle east countries, US.

In Australia there are plenty of options. Winter skiing and then other destinations as and when. We have friends who like to do cruises. 

TBH its wherever you want to go and can afford isn't it really? Same as if in the UK or Europe living. 

Bali is excellent value and far and away the best hotels I've ever stayed in. Only been twice and stayed in the Intercontinental on Jimbaren Bay and The Conrad in Nusa Dua. Staff can't do enough for you, they seem to like aussies as compared to a lot of their guests we are polite. Great value for what you pay and the closest place on the same time zone.

Love going to Rottnest too TBH. Can leave home and be in Rotto in about an hour. So relaxing, hardly any cars, bike everywhere, world class beaches and snorkelling and my favourite pub in the world. We go at least twice a year, once for an organized 1.6 km swim that's been going years. 

Went to Port Douglas (great) and Cairns (not as nice as Port Douglas) a couple of years ago. Checked out the Great Barrier Reef, always wanted to do that.

Been lucky enough to travel a lot in Aus with work too and there are so many places I'd love to go on holiday to with the wife. Eldest son is in whistler Canada though, so we are going there this year. Should be great.

3 hours ago, Toots said:

OH has been fossicking in the Weld River area of north east Tasmania looking for Tasmanian sapphires.  No luck so far.  :P

Tell him to dig deeper as. Sapphires are quite heavy and., like gold, settle on the bottom.

lhad sapphire mine in New England and 95% were found in the bottom 6 inches...lt meant that I had to dig over 3 ft of overburden.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It is good to get away from Australia just to get a change of perspective and meet people with different cultures, languages and value systems. Bali gets a bad rap but it is fabulous. I also love Viet Nam and Cambodia. Had a fab holiday in Sri Lanka a couple of years ago, and China and Japan are also easily accessible. Plenty of other places on the list - e.g. Phillipines, Korea, Taiwan, Myanmar...