Once you have migrated where do you go on holiday?

Leighbee98

I was just wondering (important subject)

Once you have migrated to the sunshine from the UK where do you go on holiday?

Here in the UK we tend to look at the sunshine hours per day, temp and things to do, see and taste. When there is an abundance of sun on your doorstep then what?

In the early years, I holidayed in various places in Australia - Kakadu, the Barrier Reef, the Whitsundays, all the big tourist spots.   Although I only went for short breaks, because I had to save most of my annual leave for duty visits back to the UK to see family.

A lot of Australians do still go to Bali or various Pacific islands for a beach holiday, in spite of having excellent beaches at home.  Of course, in some of the capital cities, people have to live a long way from the nearest beach. 

Depending where you settle, sunshine isn't perpetual.  Melbourne has very unpredictable weather, though still warmer than the UK. 

If you go further north, the sun can become a problem in itself.  Bear in mind you are not talking about the kind of sunny weather you get in the UK.  In England, the UV index never gets above 8.   In most of Australia, it's above 10 for most of the summer, and often as high as 12 or 13.  Even the southern parts of Australia are similar in sun exposure to the south of Spain.    You burn very quickly and it can be uncomfortably hot for any strenuous activities.   If you settle in Queensland, you may find you need to swap your habits around and do your vigorous outdoor pursuits in winter instead.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Samson said:

If you land in Perth you holiday in Bali and No where else ;-) 

I didn't get that memo :(

To the OP - Since migrating, (haven't fancied Bali) -  we've been to Melbourne and Tasmania, other parts of WA, Hawaii, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, and the States a couple of times. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ali said:

I didn't get that memo :(

To the OP - Since migrating, (haven't fancied Bali) -  we've been to Melbourne and Tasmania, Hawaii, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, and the States a couple of times. 

Certainly would be nice to go back to Singapore (see friends) Kuala Lumpur (friends there too)

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @Leighbee98 personally I could holiday in Australia for the rest of my life, not see everything and enjoy every single minute of it. We have been lucky in that we have explored Australia more than the Aussies.  There is so much to do and see and so many changing landscapes.

When we first touched down in Melbourne I hadn’t been to Australia before and expected it to be desert, no trees etc. How wrong I was lol. 

One of our holidays we drove Melbourne to Alice Springs to Darwin to Cairns down the East Coast to Brisbane and flew home. We were absolutely astonished by the vast contrast In scenery. A few years back we tagged along with a PIO member and drove from Cairns to Alice to Hart’s Range up to the Kimberley then across to Darwin. Both these trips were the best I’ve ever had.

My only negative is that there is so much to see I will never get to visit everywhere. 

If you don’t want to stay in Oz Most head off to Bali, although you can get to Singapore now for $129 each way.

Here are a few of what we have seen in the last few days.

The first two are not my photos as we were too busy enjoying the company of friends to take photos this time.

1A1F1CBE-16C6-4D7D-BC75-90BEACBD8341.jpeg

E469CE94-AF59-406E-89B4-7D7FAEE9779A.jpeg

D42999A7-34EF-4CBC-B3AF-4A74CC411E85.jpeg

CE9C179D-35C9-4D1F-86DD-FA2628128CD4.jpeg

46E3DC8B-D248-475A-A233-3C6DF8EDCF66.jpeg

5 minutes ago, Leighbee98 said:

Fiji? Cook Islands? French Polynesia? anyone been

(I have family in the cook islands im told!!)

Only the airport at Fiji on route home .. they did have some people strumming guitars which was rather nice. 

• Like 1

We holidayed in Australia (mostly NSW, with one holiday to Tasmania and one to Victoria), with a trip back to the UK every three to four or so years when we could afford the time and expense.  That said, due to the fact that OH had fewer holiday days from work (despite working for the same company in the UK) there were a couple of years where we could only manage the odd weekend away, due to other commitments, or because we just couldn't afford to go.  We've never been sun-seekers, and had no inclination to go to Bali or Vanuatu or any of the other places that Aussies often go.

• Like 1

Because we live in the tropics and have white sand, blue sea, palm trees blah blah I avoid places like that to holiday like the plague; no point paying to go somewhere when I can get it for free five minutes away.  We tend to save our leave and go long haul, particularly Asia but also the various Americas.  Haven't yet managed to get the husband to Europe but he's starting to show interest.

I suppose you holiday in places you are interested on regardless of where you live; when I was in the UK I never took a single beach holiday;  heat and sand has never been high on my list, but I went to some very interesting former soviet countries and saw a lot of history.  Same here; I work on a lot of Whitsunday Islands and to me, those are work places (in a year or two, when you're marvelling over the lovely sweeping view over Whitehaven beach from the spanky new lookout, remember, I vomited doing the fieldwork for it), but going along the various sites of the Thai-Burma railway was sobering and brilliant at the same time.

It has to be said though, I don't appreciate all that Australia has to offer.  I'm in a couple of photography groups where people from overseas talk about where they are going to go in Australia, and that makes me think that we do have a great country and I should go and see it a bit more.  Though I'm still going to Patagonia next year.

Edited by Eera

Australia is that big and varies in temperature and scenery you could spend a lifetime exploring different parts of the country.

Japan, Hong Kong, Fiji, Cook Islands, Norfolk Island, Bali are all places my friends have holidayed in and my favorite place which is only a short flight away is Vanuatu, been a few times and really enjoyed it..

Cal x

Other than trips to the UK our holidays since we have been here have been to Port Elliott (small place by the beach about an hours drive from Adelaide), Normaville (another small place by th beach about an hour from Adelaide), Flinders Ranges, road trip to Melbourne going along the Great Ocean Road on the way back and a trip to Port Douglas in Queensland.  My eldest child had trips with school last year to Falls Creek (skiiing place in Victoria), Canberra and Japan.  I have a list a mile long of places I want to go and see or see more of so I doubt I will be short of holiday ideas for quite some time yet.

Edited by NicF
  • Like 1

Oz is so big and so diverse you could spend more than one lifetime travelling and still not see everything there is to see. Favourite places so far were the typical tourist places like the Whitsunday Islands, Uluru and just about anywhere in the NT but there is so many brilliant places to go it's almost impossible to pick. Sometimes we fly to places but the best holidays were when we drove because there is always interesting little spots to see on the way that you wouldn't know about from travel sites. 

When we do go overseas we tend to go to Asia or the pacific islands. My favourite countries so far were Japan, New Zealand and the outer islands of Fiji. I also like Singapore and Indonesia which has a lot more to offer than just Bali. Although Bali is very cheap and appeals to some people.

People in oz travel all over the world but one thing that's brilliant is you can have any type of holiday you want right here in oz. You don't have to leave the country to feel like you went somewhere different and interesting ?

Edited by Booma
  • Like 2