Flights to UK

wattsy1982

Skyscanner don't sell tickets - they just search all the online sites for you.

You buy your tickets from who-ever is offering the best deal for you. Skyscanner are quite genuine - but some of the online sites might be a little flaky. Check for reviews before you book any tickets. The cheapest deals usually have the most restrictive conditions - particularly if you want to change or cancel your booking after payment 

Use Skyscanner Each time I travel if you select ‘whole month’ to view you can get a idea of which days are cheaper. You can play around with a lot of options (restrict results to certain carriers etc). Sometimes when I’ve found my flight I book directly with airline (I like Singapore) which can be more expensive but I find it easier to book seats 

• Like 1

Booked lots of flights via them.

TBH I tend to use them to compare prices, then check the airlines own deals directly and if possible, book direct with the airline then. Will book via Skyscanner if not. Often find there is little difference when you check the airlines own website and flight deals. 

Always use them, then if the resultant agent for ticketing has a good reputation I'll buy, if not (and there are some duff ones out there) I take the quote from them to Flightcentre who then match it.

For reference, I saved roughly $200 per person on flight to Japan over the airline's own prices, and currently watching flights to Korea which are about $250 cheaper on skyscanner over the airline's prices.

I've flown Thai, very good airline;  staff couldn't do enough for us. 

Edited by Eera

4 minutes ago, Toots said:

Thai airline is fine.  No complaints from me about them.

Haven’t flown with them recently but years ago they were good. The only issue I find when looking at their flights is they always seem to have quite long layovers. I am inpatient though so anything over 2 1/2 hours is too long for me!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

Haven’t flown with them recently but years ago they were good. The only issue I find when looking at their flights is they always seem to have quite long layovers. I am inpatient though so anything over 2 1/2 hours is too long for me!

I have to admit I haven't flown with them for a while either.  Three times to the UK with them over the years and each time I visited my brother and his family when they were living in Thailand.  Found them much better than BA and Qantas.

1 hour ago, Amber Snowball said:

Haven’t flown BA since I can’t remember. But wasn’t overly thrilled with Qantas a couple of years ago. My butt cheeks still throb at the thought of that concrete seat!

I take my own little cushion for butt comfort.  :P  There is NOTHING comfortable about long distance flights no matter which airline it is.  Must be fabulous to be able to afford first class.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Toots said:

I take my own little cushion for butt comfort.  :P  There is NOTHING comfortable about long distance flights no matter which airline it is.  Must be fabulous to be able to afford first class.

First is very very nice. Emirates first you get your little private room. Pyjamas laid waiting and you can get changed in your own private room. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Toots said:

Business is pretty comfortable. Last year with Qatar I was served breakfast in bed in my Qatar Airline PJ's - should have taken a selfie :P

• Like 2

I have to confess that I travel very infrequently and usually travel business, which is lovely. The qantas flight was in their premium economy as they are supposed to be the class leader in this area. I thought I’d give it a whirl as they had a sale on and much cheaper than business. But no, really no. 

If I had to travel economy I wouldn’t bother going anywhere at all.

I’ve only left Australia twice in the last 12 years.

Etihad business last year was very pleasant.

I sound like a roaring snob, but I don’t care. :biggrin:

• Like 2

Seen a Thai Airways flights with 4.5 hours stopover in Bangkok, perfect amount of time for the kids to run about etc.

Skyscanner is currently $700 cheaper than Thai website.

Is there anything/Much to do for kids at Bangkok? Like the indoor play area at Singapore?

2 hours ago, wattsy1982 said:

Seen a Thai Airways flights with 4.5 hours stopover in Bangkok, perfect amount of time for the kids to run about etc.

Skyscanner is currently $700 cheaper than Thai website.

Is there anything/Much to do for kids at Bangkok? Like the indoor play area at Singapore?

Bangkok has a huge airport.  We had a long stopover (7 hours) between our flights from Yangon to Brisbane, and I knew they had a spa there so thought I'd google to see what therapies they did.  Suffice to say putting in "massage Bangkok" brings up a whole amount of websites my company's smut filter doesn't like.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wattsy1982 said:

Found a deal on sky scanner then got flighcentre to beat it...only by $1 but still...they beat it and we get to deal with a business in walking distance from our house, not an online business

We've never had a problem with Flightcentre.  They have always been helpful and equal or slightly undercut anyone else.

• Like 1

On 18/04/2018 at 12:49, Drumbeat said:

Business is pretty comfortable. Last year with Qatar I was served breakfast in bed in my Qatar Airline PJ's - should have taken a selfie :P

We flew back to the UK in Qatar business class last year as a treat.  The kids thought it was the bees knees!  They loved the mint and lime drink and the way the bed was made for them when they went to put their pyjamas on!  Eldest even ate the food, which she doesn't usually when we fly.

• Like 1

Sky Scanner are my god. Their month by month search is the cat's whiskers. They are only a comparison site - you are never booking through them, you are booking through whichever option you select. Most of those are fine (I've never had a problem) but obviously check out the site's reviews before booking and if using a UK based ticket broker, make sure they have a legit ATOL registration number (you can look it up here http://publicapps.caa.co.uk/modalapplication.aspx?appid=2 )

Guest The Pom Queen
On 19/04/2018 at 11:51, Paul1Perth said:

I saw a deal this week with Virgin for flights to London with a stopover in LA for $1250. Long way round I know but sounded like a good deal if you've never been to the states.

@Cerberus1 go on book me a ticket, sod the hospitals. Although can it be after September as I want to do an around Australia trip with BobJ first

Saw a deal this week with Malaysian Airlines to London $871 return in June!

Have flown Thai numerous times but not for  a few years - they were great. Used to fly them so I could do a stopover in Thailand.

Trip around Australia? Sounds good Pom Queen x

• 2 weeks later...

If you've the ability to use a few airports, you can use https://www.kayak.com.au/flights and instead of putting the full city name in into the "from" and "to" you can put up to four airport abbreviation/code in with a comma between each airport ie:

to: lon, man, edi, gla

it saves time to search for individual airports - doing the abbreviated way will search for any suitable flights between the airports listed. You can then drill down to eg: remove certain airlines, select 1, 2 or more stops etc... from the selections on the left hand side. If you don't know the abbreviation/code for particular airports you can firstly put the full name in and the code will appear or just search on wikipedia or like.

I use Kayak for this purpose but then don't use the lesser known booking agents ie: Aunt Betty or something..., prefer to use the well known (and ones I have used before) eg: Opodo, Lastminute Ebookers, airline's own site etc..

Edited by Guest