How to watch British TV in Australia

Greig

I am wondering if anyone can tell me exactly how I am able to watch British SKY TV on my actual TV and not through an ipad/computer.

I have access to a SkyGo account so ideally could sign in to that but I am looking for someone to tell me the best TV box to do this through and how to go about setting it up.

I have an Android box and had a subscription to Hd Subs, now called Press Play I think. About $300 for the year, all terrestrial and satellite channels, with 7-day catch-up.

The live TV element is pointless because of the time difference but the catch-up feature was ok. That said, I've not renewed, didn't seem to get used much once the novelty wore off.

5 hours ago, SUPERSTARDJ01 said:

Yep something like x-vpn is free and works well or use apps like showbox, its really easy, you can get subscription services for £50 a yr

Does that work if you are in U.K. and want to watch Aus programs? Masterchef and Who Do You Think You Are are on the way! I was going to ask about a good vpn service

I use Nord VPN although I've read recently that use of VPNs to mask the viewer's location will not work for much longer as broadcasting companies plan to just block access where they recognise a VPN is in play. Might happen, might not but the BBC in particular was mentioned.

22 minutes ago, s713 said:

I use Nord VPN although I've read recently that use of VPNs to mask the viewer's location will not work for much longer as broadcasting companies plan to just block access where they recognise a VPN is in play. Might happen, might not but the BBC in particular was mentioned.

Will not be of much use rather than not work, should have said.

VPN don't mask the location but pretend it's elsewhere by issuing a IP address.  You select a country and the VPN gives you all an IP address from that country.  The issue is when BBC realise it has more than a households worth viewing from one IP address they block it.  VPN company have to then get a fresh one.

It all depends how fast the company is at issuing fresh ones.

Well put. Last time I tried a couple of UK IPs, they didn't work. I'm sure I could find one that did but the problem is watching a TV program becomes an exercise in technical support. That's fine for some people but not all (e.g. my wife).

• Haha 1

We have been using Express VPN for while now and its working well. But we have also realised setting up a DNS proxy is way better and now there' no looking back. This needs some technical skills but once set, your whole home is as if its in the UK and all TV apps will work, for example, from your Google Chrome or Apple TV and even your tablets and phones when connected to home WiFi

Option 1

OH's iPhone App store is still UK registered so all TV apps available on her iPhone or iPad: BBC, ITV, C4, C5 etc or just go the bbc/itv/c4 websites for catchup

She switches on the VPN on the device and it plays although it has been erratic at times plu most VPNs slow down speeds.

If you have Google Chromecast then use VPN on your laptop, open any of the websites to watch catchup TV. You can cast your laptop to your TV

Option 2

Setup a DNS proxy and configure to your modem at home. From your device (phone, tablet or laptop) go to specific sites and watch the shows

We bought the Apple TV when we were sure this worked well. Missus connected her UK App Store account to Apple TV and downloaded all the possible TV apps

Since the DNS makes us virtually in UK, we can play any show from any App with no buffering issues (well 99% of the time that is)

It took us a good 3 months to really understand and sort it out but its worth it

Best of luck

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

That sounds good, Ken.  I use express VPN but there are a few limitations.  Always wondered though - is it actually legal?  The BBC asks if you have a license.  For what?  Fishing, driving, ??

You need a TV Licence to watch live TV in the UK, it funds the BBC.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/tv-licence-types-and-costs-top2

5 minutes ago, starlight7 said:

That sounds good, Ken.  I use express VPN but there are a few limitations.  Always wondered though - is it actually legal?  The BBC asks if you have a license.  For what?  Fishing, driving, ??

Ideally, if shouldnt watch any UK tele if you are not based in the UK and not watch any BBC service if you dont have a TV license

But where it starts to get grey is if you have a home in the UK or you have an address that your post is sent to or you have family/friends who are happy to call you their extended family and use their license to view then how do you tackle that?

I wont comment on the legality of the matter, just respond to OP's question on how can one watch UK TV from Australia :)

They sound a bit precious to me.  I  wonder if anyone objects to people in the UK watching Australian tv or American come to that? I wouldn't tap into a paid service ( apart from the fact that I wouldn't be interested or even know how) but I think of  'free to air' as just that- free.  

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...