midwife moving to australia

Samlakin

Hi guys,

Only just joined the site, just wanting any info from any other midwives that can help.. I lodged my ANMAC skills assessment on 16th Feb 2018 still waiting to hear from them :( it does say its on its 'final stage' the plan is to lodge an EOI and go state sponsored... THIS SIDE OF THIS YEAR

Hi thanks for the reply! Seems Victoria could provide state sponsorship... so could get sucked through the system a bit quicker if we did it that way.. Or maybe Queensland Sunshine Coast is a fav.. ? not sure yet. 

i am a coordinator/midwifery leader of a labour ward at the minute so will be gutted to do something less than that or worse still on supervised practice because of the criterias AHPRA say need to be passed ?

where abouts do you work? X 

Yes, I avoided the whole supervised practice thing but we have had UK midwives start and they have had to jump through all of those ridiculous hoops. The hospital I work has now stopped doing this because of the work and paperwork involved through APHRA, but also stopped sponsorship for UK trained RMs because there are Australian midwives in the locality. I came at a very lucky time, on an employer sponsored 457, (employer paid relocation costs) employer sponsored PR 2 years after that, and got citizenship last year just before all the big changes.

Yes state sponsored is probably the way to go. I’m not sure if midwifery is on the long or short term SOL though. You’ll probably need to do IELTS for registration (I did, it was a PITA) and will also help with points for your visa if I’m not mistaken. 

I’m in sunny QLD, you’ll do well to get work on the sunshine coast though. Beautiful place but work is hard to come by there.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I’m just jumping on this thread 

I’m currently changing careers, I am a primary school teacher with 5 years experience and have just been accepted on a midwifery course at the uni of Manchester to start next September. 

I’m hoping to emigrate when I am quialified, just wondering what the process has been like? 

Can I take the IELTS now and will they still be applicable in 4 or so years time? Is there a time scale on them? 

Thanks

Frankie 

1 hour ago, Frankie123 said:

I’m just jumping on this thread 

I’m currently changing careers, I am a primary school teacher with 5 years experience and have just been accepted on a midwifery course at the uni of Manchester to start next September. 

I’m hoping to emigrate when I am quialified, just wondering what the process has been like? 

Can I take the IELTS now and will they still be applicable in 4 or so years time? Is there a time scale on them? 

Thanks

Frankie 

Given the time scale, there is nothing I can think of in planning at the moment as it is impossible to know if even midwife will be on the list by then. There are occupations removed all the time - over 200 in the last twelve months. The entire system is likely to be vastly different by then. 

As above to be honest. Who knows what immigration will look like in 4 years time and really it’ll be more like 6 as you will need some experience first. UK midwives have been hard hit in the last 2 years alone with the registering body APHRA (NMC in UK) changing the goalposts for UK midwives to practice in Australia. In short, as it currently stands you need supervised practice for 6 months and a ton of paperwork to meet the requirements and even then you will have notations on your registration and cannot work in a continuity of care model. Many employers will not be bothered with all  this effort. My hospital did it with 2 and stopped straight after. They are interviewing right now and I know for a fact any UK midwives who applied without registration were not considered. Too many hoops.

Good luck with your training, maybe look a little closer to time of qualifying to see how the land lies. At the very least make sure the course is a degree though, as even if midwife is still on the list after 4 years they won’t down grade qualification requirements to a diploma, it tends to get tougher. 

All the best 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice. 

Im going to get my IELTS under my belt, whether it’s teaching or midwifery I go over as, I’m not bothered either way haha I just want in! My family is over there and I’m sick of the UK :-)

It’s a 3 year degree I’ll be starting that will fully qualify me as a midwife. Paperwork doesn’t necessarily phase me, if there’s a will there’s a way. Plus I always have teaching to fall back on (Y) 

#determined 

33 minutes ago, Frankie123 said:

Thanks for the advice. 

Im going to get my IELTS under my belt, whether it’s teaching or midwifery I go over as, I’m not bothered either way haha I just want in! My family is over there and I’m sick of the UK ?

It’s a 3 year degree I’ll be starting that will fully qualify me as a midwife. Paperwork doesn’t necessarily phase me, if there’s a will there’s a way. Plus I always have teaching to fall back on (Y) 

#determined 

Just make sure you are doing this for you, regardless of visa. The Oz government have announced that it wants to make big changes including removing lots of medical proffessions, so do not assume you will be eligible. You very well may not be. 

2 hours ago, VERYSTORMY said:

Just make sure you are doing this for you, regardless of visa. The Oz government have announced that it wants to make big changes including removing lots of medical proffessions, so do not assume you will be eligible. You very well may not be. 

What have you heard on the grape vine???

17 hours ago, y not said:

What have you heard on the grape vine???

Probably feck all.  That said, stay abreast of current legislation and the fact that it may change,  retrospectively, at any time

Edited by Johndoe

• 2 weeks later...

Hi thanks for the replies.. even though it digressed a little ☺️ 

I have had my positive skills assessment back and have applied for state sponsorship in SA AND submitted my IOE.. These was 4 weeks ago and the processing time is saying 4-5 weeks.. if I get an invite to lodge for a 190 state sponsorship visa I’ve pretty much got all I need to apply straight away! Processing times for visa is currently saying between 6 -10 months.. 

QUESTION: does anyone have any advice on when to apply to APRHA??? 

Any input welcomed ?

On 18/04/2018 at 13:44, Samlakin said:

Hi thanks for the reply! Seems Victoria could provide state sponsorship... so could get sucked through the system a bit quicker if we did it that way.. Or maybe Queensland Sunshine Coast is a fav.. ? not sure yet.

Hello

I am not a midwife.

But some of the outback towns are literally screaming out for midwives.

It would certainly be an experience (and look good on the resume), to spend 6 - 12 months in an outback town, aboriginal community or working for the Flying Doctors

P.S. The book "Outback Midwife" by Beth McRea, is an interesting read

19 minutes ago, Tootsie said:

And I say that, because I have lived in a number of outback towns. And all the local newspapers and media do, is complain about the lack of qualified midwives, nurses and doctors. One place I lived and the nearest midwife was a 850km round trip.

20 minutes ago, Tootsie said:

Hello

I am not a midwife.

It would certainly be an experience (and look good on the resume), to spend 6 - 12 months in an outback town, aboriginal community or working for the Flying Doctors

P.S. The book "Outback Midwife" by Beth McRea, is an interesting read

You need to be dual trained. (Maybe the OP is?) 

Given the shortage they need a jack of all trades approach and not just midwifery skills. 

6 hours ago, Samlakin said:

Hi thanks for the replies.. even though it digressed a little ☺️ 

I have had my positive skills assessment back and have applied for state sponsorship in SA AND submitted my IOE.. These was 4 weeks ago and the processing time is saying 4-5 weeks.. if I get an invite to lodge for a 190 state sponsorship visa I’ve pretty much got all I need to apply straight away! Processing times for visa is currently saying between 6 -10 months.. 

QUESTION: does anyone have any advice on when to apply to APRHA??? 

Any input welcomed ?

Not sure how long it takes now but I do know once it’s approved you need to present in person within 3 months to validate it (if that’s the right word). Have a look at some other threads and you’ll have to figure it out based on how long your visa will take/APHRA will take and if you are even ready to move at that point. 

Good luck 

1 minute ago, Wonderingaloud said:

You need to be dual trained. (Maybe the OP is?) 

Given the shortage they need a jack of all trades approach and not just midwifery skills. 

From living in these areas, I would have to disagree somewhat.

Many new arrivals want to move to Melbourne or the Gold Coast - that really puts pressure on competition for jobs in those areas.

Given the shortages in outback communities, most won't be too fussed if you are not a jack-of-all-trades.

Honestly, they cannot afford to be so picky. They are desperate.

I recently read of outback women being bullied into unwanted caesareans by doctors, as no midwives available to offer a natural birth opinion.

I love outback towns, as they are the essence of real Australia.........Being in Melbourne, you could be anywhere on the planet as same-same.

Anyway it was just an idea to the OP, as many people don't consider it and stick to the coast fringes

I looked into it at one point and was told no because I was a direct entry RM. I perhaps wrongly assumed this was the case for all regional areas.

I applied at Bundaberg hospital too and got the same response and they’re not that remote. 

But I agree with you, fantastic experience if you’re in the right mindset for it. 

1 hour ago, tab said:

Out back experience is amazing and you will make th most wonderful friends

I spent 11 years in the Kimberley and pilbaras region work ing as a nurse and midwife

Well done you! Your breadth of experience must glow on your cv. ?

I can’t think of anything I’d like less. For others considering this I think they need to be sure they know what they are signing up for. I need a brown paper bag to breathe in and out of just thinking about it! ?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys just as an update yesterday (18/06/2018) we got our invite to lodge for. 190 state sponsored ? hoping to have all the info and lodge within the next two weeks! Then it’s a waiting game.. anyone any advice on state sponsored visas? X 

• Like 1

well done you im already dual citizen. working in UK as a midwife hoping to return to w.a  in January with my 3 little darlings.  Love to hear any midwifery or nursing posts. Best of luck too hope everything goes smoothly 

a

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Samlakin said:

Hi guys just as an update yesterday (18/06/2018) we got our invite to lodge for. 190 state sponsored ? hoping to have all the info and lodge within the next two weeks! Then it’s a waiting game.. anyone any advice on state sponsored visas? X 

well done ?