Advise Required - Negative Skills Assessment :(

horsemad1976

Morning Everyone

After some advise if I can please. Hoping to apply for a Vic190 Visa with my husband as the main applicant. We were hoping to score 5 additional points for myself as the partner skill. (Age & English requirements met as well as my job being on the same skills list as my husband). So here is where we have come unstuck.

I've submitted my qualifications (Swimming Teacher), CV, Employment History & References; etc today I received my skills assessment from VETASSESS and it has come back as Negative. The reason they stipulate is that my qualification ASA Level 2 Certificate in Teaching Aquatics isn't comparable to an AQF Qualification therefore can't be assessed. So despite my qualification being international recognised by AUSTSWIM because it doesn't sit on the AQF I get a negative result before I have even started.

This should also mean that any UK Swimming Teacher would also get a negative outcome as this is the 'standard' qualification here in the UK. Now, when filling in the application form online it was very much driven to degrees; etc and not a more vocational qualification such as mine.

Since the qualification is recognised by AUSTSWIM do you think it is worth appealing the decision? The qualification doesn't sit on the UK framework either but I can assure you is a bone fide qualification! - It's a tricky one, but we could do with the extra 5 points which is why went to all the trouble to get my skills assessed in the first place!!

Advice most welcome.

Many thanks.

3 hours ago, Marisawright said:
Since we've seen two or three Vic 190 visas refused (after invite) recently, I agree you need as many extra points as you can get.  Maybe it's time to consult an agent.

Thanks. I have just discovered that my qualification is the equivalent to a Level 3 on the AQF so as long as I have 3yrs post qualification experience in a highly relevant field (which I have & they have acknowledged) then there should be no need for a negative assessment. ?

I can document the transition QCF>EQF>AQF so will look into appealing. I obviously needed to provide the evidence of the comparable levels of the qualifications when I applied - kind of expected the VETASSESS assessment teams to know about levels of qualifications though since it forms a big part of their job!

Edited by horsemad1976
Explaining myself better now on laptop not phone! ;)