temp to long term housing

Cegor

where do I start........
we went on a 10 day vacation to Australia to activate my visa and hubby landed a job in Sydney. We came back to Canada and are in the process of dealing with the house, etc.

I get to stay behind to deal with it all as he is moving to Sydney on May 20.....fast approaching...*yikes!

we have been looking to Airbnb to get started and have yet to book the place. 

questions:

how fast is the process of renting once you have found the place you want? ...reason for asking is, we see the Domain listings asking to book inspections.....how is this process from beginning to end? and time frame?

can anyone shed light into this? We do not have any Australian rental history. it has been a long long time since we rented as we are property owners.....so i'm just wondering how the system works in Australia....

tentatively the airbnb will be for 1 month....hoping this is sufficient time to find the long term rental....

also.....can I ship the goods without knowing where the permanent residence will be? I'm still trying to gather quotes from shipping companies. The only one company that sent quote so far was one that will not send someone in person to view the items being shipped and when I asked for delivery time frame I was told 8-12 weeks which seems rather long being that we are not as far as most on here shipping from the UK.....

8-12 weeks sounds about right for shipping time from Canada by sea. I Shipped items home to Canada and It took 3 months. For rental advise contact a rental agent in the area and they will tell you what you need to provide for a rental application and how the process works. When we did it a long time ago, we stayed in a motel for 4 nights and were lucky to find a place right away. Not sure if this can be done as quickly today. We did find out ahead of time from the rental agent to bring personal references, bank statements and a letter confirming employment. We also had not rented as we were home owners in Canada.

I believe you should be able to update your address with your shipping company once you know where you will be living.

Let me know which company you end up using as I would be interested.

Thanks, and good luck.

Yes, you can certainly dispatch the goods without knowing where they're going.   If they need you to give an address, give the Airbnb one.   They will contact you when it's due to arrive, to check where you want it delivered, and you can change the address at that time.

Most people seem to allow about 4 weeks in a holiday flat, you shouldn't have a problem finding a place in that time. 

It's not just distance that determines shipping time, it's how often ships are making the journey, and how many other ports they're stopping at along the way.  Your trip may be shorter but there may be less frequent sailings, so your container will be sitting on the docks for longer.

thank you everyone. I'm curious if it is the norm only to give you a quote via email rather than sending someone to the house to see the goods being shipped.

I have contacted 5 shipping companies. Two of which told me they have no agents to send for in house quote. Seems odd that they can send someone to pick up the goods the day of shipping but can send someone to access the stuff.

Waiting to hear from the other 3......seems it is not very common to have such moves from where I am hence the lack of agents from those big companies....getting a bit frustrated

did you have to pay all $ upfront or a deposit then the rest upon them shipping? 

4 hours ago, Cegor said:

thank you everyone. I'm curious if it is the norm only to give you a quote via email rather than sending someone to the house to see the goods being shipped.

I have contacted 5 shipping companies. Two of which told me they have no agents to send for in house quote. Seems odd that they can send someone to pick up the goods the day of shipping but can send someone to access the stuff.

Waiting to hear from the other 3......seems it is not very common to have such moves from where I am hence the lack of agents from those big companies....getting a bit frustrated

did you have to pay all $ upfront or a deposit then the rest upon them shipping? 

we got a quote for a verbal list of items and effects in boxes, they only turned up on the day to pack everything up. We ended up being 70% more by volume than the quote so they took it all (just about) and sent an updated quote afterwards. As my work were paying relocation the extra cost didn't worry us, you may feel differently of course.

We used SantaFe, very good service at each end and price was good but we shipped it all in October and it only arrived in February!! way over double the quoted time but it was to Hobart (took 6 weeks from Sydney to Hobart)

42 minutes ago, can1983 said:

we got a quote for a verbal list of items and effects in boxes, they only turned up on the day to pack everything up. We ended up being 70% more by volume than the quote so they took it all (just about) and sent an updated quote afterwards.

This is a very, very common scam with removalists.  It's their way of giving you a low quote to get the business.   Let's face it, how would you know how much volume your original list came to?   

That's why it's much better to get them to come and look and agree a fixed price.   

If you can't find anyone willing to come and look, then make sure they tell you, in writing, how extra charges will be calculated if you are over the limit.

1 minute ago, Marisawright said:

This is a very, very common scam with removalists.  It's their way of giving you a low quote to get the business.   Let's face it, how would you know how much volume your original list came to?   

That's why it's much better to get them to come and look and agree a fixed price.   

If you can't find anyone willing to come and look, then make sure they tell you, in writing, how extra charges will be calculated if you are over the limit.

I should be fair to SanteFe I got a quote before we packed for 10 furniture items and 20 tea chests. We ended up shipping the 10 items plus 50 boxes by the time it we packed it down. You also have to factor in that when you are being relocated by others you take items which cost more to ship than they are worth. An example being a baby change table which got shipped assembled, GBP25 to buy GBP50 in shipping volume.....