Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Parley

US, UK and France attack Syria.

    Recommended Posts

    The west has retaliated against Syria with air strikes.

    It is pleasing to see it is not just the US but UK and France too.

    That sends a strong message to Syria and Russia.


    I want it all, and I want it now.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    14 minutes ago, Parley said:

    The west has retaliated against Syria with air strikes.

    It is pleasing to see it is not just the US but UK and France too.

    That sends a strong message to Syria and Russia.

    What an absolute mess that whole area of the world is in.  Seems to be getting worse too.

    • Like 4

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Very disappointed with Trump and May.  


    ⚠️ posts may not always be in real time. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    3 hours ago, Parley said:

    The west has retaliated against Syria with air strikes.

    It is pleasing to see it is not just the US but UK and France too.

    That sends a strong message to Syria and Russia.

    How does this differ to the last message?

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 minutes ago, newjez said:

    Really? I thought you liked that sort of thing. I am surprised.

    You assume a lot.


    ⚠️ posts may not always be in real time. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    What will become of the secular state of Syria once Assad is removed? 

    • Like 1

    ⚠️ posts may not always be in real time. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, simmo said:

    What will become of the secular state of Syria once Assad is removed? 

    Its not about removing Assad though. I think it highly unlikely he will be. It is a message that using chemical weapons will not be tolerated. As much a message to Russia as anything as well. 

    • Like 1

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    "Messages" mean nothing. Remember the "message" to the British people on Chamberlain's piece of paper? It's a slippery slope that the allies are treading on and Putin is a slippery customer. This can get completely out of control.

    • Like 2

    Was driving through the world with a cracked rear view, but nowadays I watch only the road ahead

    See my art here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.smugmug.com/

    Copies free to PIO members. PM me for details.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Obama was weak when he said the red line had been crossed with chemical weapons and he did noting, this is a message to the world that chemical weapons which could efficiently wipe out civilization will not be tolerated in any form and any country, Assad and Russia will not use chemical weapons again I bet....THIS had to be done.

    • Like 1

    Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    4 hours ago, Johndoe said:

    "Messages" mean nothing. Remember the "message" to the British people on Chamberlain's piece of paper? It's a slippery slope that the allies are treading on and Putin is a slippery customer. This can get completely out of control.

    If anyone was going to start a war with Russia it was going to be Trump.

    • Like 5

    If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    6 hours ago, Perthbum said:

    Obama was weak when he said the red line had been crossed with chemical weapons and he did noting, this is a message to the world that chemical weapons which could efficiently wipe out civilization will not be tolerated in any form and any country, Assad and Russia will not use chemical weapons again I bet....THIS had to be done.

    It's a safe action though. Fire a few missiles, after giving fair warning. In 2017 they even told the Russians. Not sure this time, but he was tweeting like mad. Won't achieve anything. But at least we made a token effort. Like dropping 20pence on a homeless person.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted (edited)
    3 hours ago, newjez said:

    It's a safe action though. Fire a few missiles, after giving fair warning. In 2017 they even told the Russians. Not sure this time, but he was tweeting like mad. Won't achieve anything. But at least we made a token effort. Like dropping 20pence on a homeless person.

    I think this action and the salisbury incidence has rocked Russia,,,,the military might of the USA an Europe is far to powerful for Russia.

     

    Edited by Perthbum

    Drinking rum before 11am does not make you an alcoholic, it makes you pirate..

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    4 hours ago, newjez said:

    It's a safe action though. Fire a few missiles, after giving fair warning. In 2017 they even told the Russians. Not sure this time, but he was tweeting like mad. Won't achieve anything. But at least we made a token effort. Like dropping 20pence on a homeless person.

    Considering you never want to do anything to stop terrorists and despots I prefer to act.

    Far better to act and make these dictators think twice about doing it again.

    Have you learned nothing from Rwanda where Clinton just sat back and watched the carnage ?


    I want it all, and I want it now.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Damn suspicious that just after Trump announces his plans to withdraw from Syria, Assad launches a chemical attack to keep America there.  Who gains from that attack.  Not Assad, for sure but the purveyors of war, the weapons manufacturers.  The same people behind the NRA and their steadfast opposition to gun control in the USA.  The same ones who pushed Saddam Hussain’s WMD lie.

    This war machine is a trillion dollar behemoth and needs feeding constantly.

    • Like 3
    • Haha 1

    Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted (edited)
    1 hour ago, Parley said:

    Considering you never want to do anything to stop terrorists and despots I prefer to act.

    Far better to act and make these dictators think twice about doing it again.

    Have you learned nothing from Rwanda where Clinton just sat back and watched the carnage ?

     

    Not saying that newjez is wrong....business rules the world and politics is second.  What the people want is a swarming mess of confusion beneath that.

    The UK problem is that the Brexiters are saying they want to cut foreign aid to these areas and they don't want to take in refugees, and they want the money saved to be given to Britain to improve domestic services.

    So firing expensive cruise missiles to save the kids by interfering in somebody else's domestic problem is an issue for some when they see their own health services and police being cut at home due to there being no money.   When those Syrian kids and their families wash up on a beach in Europe, just like what happened after Iraq and Libya,  it will create a situation that the Brexiters wanted to avoid.  Germany accepting 1 million middle eastern war refugees was one of the Brexit causes because the UK people didn't want to take responsibility for the actions of its Government in creating the mess.   "It's fine to save the kiddies, so long as i don't have to queue for a Doctor myself".

    The irony is that voting for Brexit has empowered Putin because he could see a weakened Europe to be exploited, and the Brexit votebase was quite happy to point at Putin as an example of strong leadership, almost admiring him.  They don't know Russian history....now he's poking us with a stick because he's been let out of the box and can see we're getting weaker and have no national consensus for anything anymore.

    So the UK fighting back against Putin/Assad and his mob of expansionist henchman, it's actually proving a lot of the Brexit theorists wrong....which perhaps is why Simmo is upset.  The people happy to see Syria bombed are often the same ones who will want nothing to do with the aftermath if they have to pay for it, and will then complain if terrorists turn up in the UK and commit another Manchester/London attack.  So Simmo can't agree with bombing because it undermines his position.

    The additional irony about the Brexit idea of what a democracy is, is compounded by the Tory Government actions.   Brexiters argued against a parliamentary vote being necessary for Brexit and even called Judges "enemies of the people" for upholding the law..... but now that a parliamentary vote has been avoided by the PM to take military action to bomb Syria....they can't really argue against that because they were happy see 600 years of parliamentary democracy ignored....almost in the hope of having a Dictatorial leadership in charge !

     

     

    Edited by Slean Wolfhead
    • Confused 2

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted (edited)
    3 hours ago, Parley said:

    Considering you never want to do anything to stop terrorists and despots I prefer to act.

    Far better to act and make these dictators think twice about doing it again.

    Have you learned nothing from Rwanda where Clinton just sat back and watched the carnage ?

    I object strongly to that parley. What I have said is that the terrorists are created out of the mess that we have created. That is an entirely different thing altogether. I question the consequence of our actions, and whether we will improve the situation, or whether we are just trying to make ourselves feel better.

    No oil in Rwanda my friend. Or any of the other trouble spots we don't bother with.

    Sorry parley, the world doesn't work as simply as you would like it to. We aren't knights in shining armour.

    Edited by newjez
    • Like 2

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

    Damn suspicious that just after Trump announces his plans to withdraw from Syria, Assad launches a chemical attack to keep America there.  Who gains from that attack.  Not Assad, for sure but the purveyors of war, the weapons manufacturers.  The same people behind the NRA and their steadfast opposition to gun control in the USA.  The same ones who pushed Saddam Hussain’s WMD lie.

    This war machine is a trillion dollar behemoth and needs feeding constantly.

    ... and I thought I was cynical???

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    2 hours ago, Gbye grey sky said:

    Damn suspicious that just after Trump announces his plans to withdraw from Syria, Assad launches a chemical attack to keep America there.  Who gains from that attack.  Not Assad, for sure but the purveyors of war, the weapons manufacturers.  The same people behind the NRA and their steadfast opposition to gun control in the USA.  The same ones who pushed Saddam Hussain’s WMD lie.

    This war machine is a trillion dollar behemoth and needs feeding constantly.

    ... and I thought I was cynical???

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    11 minutes ago, newjez said:

    ... and I thought I was cynical???

    Far worse than that..


    I want it all, and I want it now.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    6 hours ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

     

    Not saying that newjez is wrong....business rules the world and politics is second.  What the people want is a swarming mess of confusion beneath that.

    The UK problem is that the Brexiters are saying they want to cut foreign aid to these areas and they don't want to take in refugees, and they want the money saved to be given to Britain to improve domestic services.

    So firing expensive cruise missiles to save the kids by interfering in somebody else's domestic problem is an issue for some when they see their own health services and police being cut at home due to there being no money.   When those Syrian kids and their families wash up on a beach in Europe, just like what happened after Iraq and Libya,  it will create a situation that the Brexiters wanted to avoid.  Germany accepting 1 million middle eastern war refugees was one of the Brexit causes because the UK people didn't want to take responsibility for the actions of its Government in creating the mess.   "It's fine to save the kiddies, so long as i don't have to queue for a Doctor myself".

    The irony is that voting for Brexit has empowered Putin because he could see a weakened Europe to be exploited, and the Brexit votebase was quite happy to point at Putin as an example of strong leadership, almost admiring him.  They don't know Russian history....now he's poking us with a stick because he's been let out of the box and can see we're getting weaker and have no national consensus for anything anymore.

    So the UK fighting back against Putin/Assad and his mob of expansionist henchman, it's actually proving a lot of the Brexit theorists wrong....which perhaps is why Simmo is upset.  The people happy to see Syria bombed are often the same ones who will want nothing to do with the aftermath if they have to pay for it, and will then complain if terrorists turn up in the UK and commit another Manchester/London attack.  So Simmo can't agree with bombing because it undermines his position.

    The additional irony about the Brexit idea of what a democracy is, is compounded by the Tory Government actions.   Brexiters argued against a parliamentary vote being necessary for Brexit and even called Judges "enemies of the people" for upholding the law..... but now that a parliamentary vote has been avoided by the PM to take military action to bomb Syria....they can't really argue against that because they were happy see 600 years of parliamentary democracy ignored....almost in the hope of having a Dictatorial leadership in charge !

    I wondered how long it would take.


    ⚠️ posts may not always be in real time. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    5 hours ago, newjez said:

    ... and I thought I was cynical???

    When it comes to cynical manipulation arms manufacturers and their friends are the masters.  The more people die the more money they make.

    • Like 2

    Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    5 hours ago, newjez said:

    I object strongly to that parley. What I have said is that the terrorists are created out of the mess that we have created. That is an entirely different thing altogether. I question the consequence of our actions, and whether we will improve the situation, or whether we are just trying to make ourselves feel better.

    No oil in Rwanda my friend. Or any of the other trouble spots we don't bother with.

    Sorry parley, the world doesn't work as simply as you would like it to. We aren't knights in shining armour.

    More like the Knights Templar of old.  Wreaking death and destruction whilst claiming the moral high ground.

    • Like 1

    Timeline: 309/100 Sent 7/8/13, Money Taken 9/8/13, CO appointed 3/9/13. Med 3/12/13. Police check 4/12/13. VISA GRANTED 8/4/14, Subclass100. Recce August 2014. Arrived 30 July 2015.

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    7 hours ago, Slean Wolfhead said:

     

    Not saying that newjez is wrong....business rules the world and politics is second.  What the people want is a swarming mess of confusion beneath that.

    The UK problem is that the Brexiters are saying they want to cut foreign aid to these areas and they don't want to take in refugees, and they want the money saved to be given to Britain to improve domestic services.

    So firing expensive cruise missiles to save the kids by interfering in somebody else's domestic problem is an issue for some when they see their own health services and police being cut at home due to there being no money.   When those Syrian kids and their families wash up on a beach in Europe, just like what happened after Iraq and Libya,  it will create a situation that the Brexiters wanted to avoid.  Germany accepting 1 million middle eastern war refugees was one of the Brexit causes because the UK people didn't want to take responsibility for the actions of its Government in creating the mess.   "It's fine to save the kiddies, so long as i don't have to queue for a Doctor myself".

    The irony is that voting for Brexit has empowered Putin because he could see a weakened Europe to be exploited, and the Brexit votebase was quite happy to point at Putin as an example of strong leadership, almost admiring him.  They don't know Russian history....now he's poking us with a stick because he's been let out of the box and can see we're getting weaker and have no national consensus for anything anymore.

    So the UK fighting back against Putin/Assad and his mob of expansionist henchman, it's actually proving a lot of the Brexit theorists wrong....which perhaps is why Simmo is upset.  The people happy to see Syria bombed are often the same ones who will want nothing to do with the aftermath if they have to pay for it, and will then complain if terrorists turn up in the UK and commit another Manchester/London attack.  So Simmo can't agree with bombing because it undermines his position.

    The additional irony about the Brexit idea of what a democracy is, is compounded by the Tory Government actions.   Brexiters argued against a parliamentary vote being necessary for Brexit and even called Judges "enemies of the people" for upholding the law..... but now that a parliamentary vote has been avoided by the PM to take military action to bomb Syria....they can't really argue against that because they were happy see 600 years of parliamentary democracy ignored....almost in the hope of having a Dictatorial leadership in charge !

     

     

    I thought this thread was about the bombing of Syria ? , everybody I have spoken to about this action said it’s wrong we should not be getting involved here this includes people who voted to leave the eu 

    This action has nothing to do with leaving the eu , you are completely wrong on this , it’s about the use of chemical weapons May has done this to try and boost her standing but it’s going to back fire big time 

     

     

     

    • Like 3

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now


    ×