What happens when you first land???

scubacam

So we are landing in Australia next April to activate our visa for a short holiday and then returning to the UK for a few months to sort things before heading out permanently in August/September 2019. But what I’m wondering is what happens when we get to Aus for the first time with our new permanent visas - do we get interviewed? Grilled? Lol.

Thank you

So we are landing in Australia next April to activate our visa for a short holiday and then returning to the UK for a few months to sort things before heading out permanently in August/September 2019. But what I’m wondering is what happens when we get to Aus for the first time with our new permanent visas - do we get interviewed? Grilled? Lol.

Thank you

Not unless you look like you’ve done something wrong. You’ll just be like the rest of the bleary eyed cattle chugging through. Nobody will give two hoots.

Unless you land in Melbourne.  If you land in Melbourne, you'll be strip-searched, and checked to ensure that a large pineapple can safely be accommodated in case of a food crisis.

After that, you'll be force fed black coffee until you understand what coffee SHOULD taste like.

Then you'll be grilled on how much you hate people from North of the Border.

If you pass these tests, you get let in.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, CeltInCaulfield said:

Unless you land in Melbourne.  If you land in Melbourne, you'll be strip-searched, and checked to ensure that a large pineapple can safely be accommodated in case of a food crisis.

After that, you'll be force fed black coffee until you understand what coffee SHOULD taste like.

Then you'll be grilled on how much you hate people from North of the Border.

If you pass these tests, you get let in.

Don’t they also grill you on your team affiliations these days too? They’re getting to do that at the NSW/Vic border now I hear. Dunno how my OH is going to fare, he was always an Essendon man.

Back in the day they used to make you eat a vegemite sandwich too so getting some practice in, especially with the kids, might be handy.

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 1

On 4/13/2018 at 09:54, scubacam said:

Thank you

As a check you do arrive to activate within 12 months of visa grant right?

For me it's straight to duty free before the automatic passport gates and all pretty seamless

As a check you do arrive to activate within 12 months of visa grant right?
For me it's straight to duty free before the automatic passport gates and all pretty seamless

My understanding is 12 months to the date of medicals or police checks , whichever is first.
We took our medicals on 10th April so we have until 10th April 2019 to land - I believe

1 hour ago, scubacam said:

My understanding is 12 months to the date of medicals or police checks , whichever is first.
We took our medicals on 10th April so we have until 10th April 2019 to land - I believe

Correct and I hope the OP notices as failure to meet it cancels the visa. 

4 hours ago, scubacam said:

Almost certainly correct but don't bank on it until you actually get the visa grant. Also beware that you are cutting it fine if you leave it to the very end of the validation period, play it safe and give yourself a few days in case of flight delays etc. 

• Like 1

All joking aside, when we arrived 12+ years ago, I was questioned at the border about where I was staying and for how long. Kept sucking air in between his teeth, like a plumber does when pricing up a job. Made me slightly jumpy I’ll be honest.

I have since learnt that anyone who works on the Australian border is by definition a miserable git without exception. Thus, I would highly recommend the use of the automatic gates and avoid any non essential contact with them. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Almost certainly correct but don't bank on it until you actually get the visa grant. Also beware that you are cutting it fine if you leave it to the very end of the validation period, play it safe and give yourself a few days in case of flight delays etc. 

Yes we are heading out April 5th ish. I’m a school teacher so have to wait for holidays. Worse comes to to worse we’ll head out Feb half term but not ideal as we wanted to make a holiday out of it
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Amber Snowball said:

All joking aside, when we arrived 12+ years ago, I was questioned at the border about where I was staying and for how long. Kept sucking air in between his teeth, like a plumber does when pricing up a job. Made me slightly jumpy I’ll be honest.

I have since learnt that anyone who works on the Australian border is by definition a miserable git without exception. Thus, I would highly recommend the use of the automatic gates and avoid any non essential contact with them. 

Ha ha .. I think we must have got the only nice one then .. he was quite chatty, gave us all the once over and said "yep you're stayers" .. and stay we have  lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ali said:

Ha ha .. I think we must have got the only nice one then .. he was quite chatty, gave us all the once over and said "yep you're stayers" .. and stay we have  lol

Lucky you. I was starting to think I needed a brown paper bag to breathe in and out of!!!! My dog was already in quarantine, my possessions in the middle of the ocean somewhere and this dude shaking his head and rolling his eyes. He’s lucky I didn’t throw up on his shoes!

• Haha 3