NHS....Prostate screening does not save lives

Perthbum

latest big study...interesting reading.

Routine blood test for prostate cancer 'doesn't save lives'

Wednesday March 7 2018

"Screening for prostate cancer does not save lives, and may do more harm than good," reports the Daily Telegraph.

Research involving more than 400,000 men in the UK found those invited for screening were more likely to have prostate cancerdiagnosed but no less likely from die of it.

The study involved 573 GP practices, with some assigned to offer all men aged 50 to 69 a prostate specific antigen (PSA) test, while the others only offered tests if men asked for them. Men whose results suggested possible prostate cancer then had a biopsy, and those found to have cancer were treated.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/cancer/routine-blood-test-prostate-cancer-doesnt-save-lives/

Guest The Pom Queen
2 hours ago, Sandgroper said:

You posted about the NHS in the Australia section???

It’s in the HEALTH section of the forum, I think health is a world wide subject and of interest to everyone.

5 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

It’s in the HEALTH section of the forum, I think health is a world wide subject and of interest to everyone.

I suppose its confusing because the health forum is listed in the life in oz section. i thought it was for stuff in oz like the health system or how things in oz are done or accessed etc as well.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Booma said:

I suppose its confusing because the health forum is listed in the life in oz section. i thought it was for stuff in oz like the health system or how things in oz are done or accessed etc as well.

Like she says.

Sorry that is what confused me.

• Like 1

Guest The Pom Queen

There wouldn’t be any other suitable category for it so it’s placed by the moderators in the one deemed most suitable. Unfortunately we can’t have a category for every single subject matter, reporting the post saying it needs to be moved to UK chat I’m afraid was not considered as that doesn’t fit the subject matter either and as it’s about a study on Prostate Cancer, whether the study would have been done in China, India, America etc it would have still been placed in health

5 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

There wouldn’t be any other suitable category for it so it’s placed by the moderators in the one deemed most suitable. Unfortunately we can’t have a category for every single subject matter, reporting the post saying it needs to be moved to UK chat I’m afraid was not considered as that doesn’t fit the subject matter either and as it’s about a study on Prostate Cancer, whether the study would have been done in China, India, America etc it would have still been placed in health

Thanks I was the one that reported it saying is there a better place on the forum, I did say when reporting it there was absolutely nothing wrong with the content I just felt it would get more replies in a UK section as it was an NHS related post. Anyway well done PB for bringing it up.