Early Years Teacher skills assessment

CarrieJ82

Hi everyone

New to this site but can't seem to find the answer I want so wondering if anyone could help!

We have just sent off our application form to have my skills assessed as an Early Years Teacher.....my background is a foundation degree in Early Years, BA HONS in childhood studies (0-8 years) and a PGCE in primary (my placement was done in year 1 and 3 so ages 5 and 7).

Does anyone have any experience of whether this would be excepted? I've worked in Early Years for last 8 years but only qualified with my pgce in Sept 2017 so can't use any of my work experience.

Hope this makes sense!Thanks in advance.

P.s we are using an immigration agency who have said it will be fine but not sure I trust them 100% not to just say what we want to hear!! 

If you migration agent is relaxed about it then you should be fine as they will likely deal with AITSL regularly. Plenty of teachers make the move.  I did the application for my wife back in September for Early Childhood Teacher with no issues but her PGCE was specifically early years and said this in the title which I was told AITSL like as makes it obvious to them. We still had to supply a letter from the university stating how many days supervised practice she had as they wouldl not take the PGCE on face value. Perhaps you could get the university to add the age ranges to the  letter just clarifying you spent all your time in the lower age range.

you are correct that they will only accept teaching experience after completion of PGCE. 

Thanks for the reply! 

Yes I've sent a letter from the Uni stating the age ranges so just really hoping that this, along with the early years degree will sway them.  I didn't even know you could do a PGCE specifically for early years or I would have done that!

Do you mind me asking if you have you managed to get your visa sorted now?

We got the invite last Wednesday and have submitted most of the required docs minus police check and medical. The website indicate processing is 8-10 months so its a waiting game now. Will obviously have to produce the medical and police check on request from case officer but as these documents have an effect on first entry date we will wait until they are requested.

My wife studied at University of Birmingham who offered the PGCE in early years (although she can still teach upper primary just as you can teach low age range) 

It’s a long process. Do you know where you are heading to yet? E.g which state.

Ah that's good news about the invite! It's such a long process we were hoping it would be done and dusted in 9 months I think we were kidding ourselves! 

Well we visited Oz a month ago to check out the different states...fell in love with north Perth then realised early years teachers are no longer required there ? so looks like Adelaide for us.  Where are you heading?  I hope it all goes through quickly for you 

We have been swaying between Brisbane and Adelaide and look to be edging towards Brisbane. Queensland made kindy compulsory to an extent so we hope that should mean work is about. They also make registering to teach easier at the moment as it can all be done offshore where Adelaide insist on a one day course that can only be done once in South Australia. Just little things like that are swaying us although we would be more suited to the Adelaide climate I think. 

Do you know how ma y points you expect to have ? Over 75 should get you a quick invite at the moment. We had 70 points as academic IELTS proved to be a bit trickier than expected. Us native speakers tend to move towards slang terms which are frowned upon. We could have done another general test to try for more points but the waiting game suited us to sell our house etc. 

When you say not in demand in Perth, are you looking st a state sponsored visa? If not I  would just follow your heart if it’s in Perth. All these states that are listing the occupation as a shortage are doing so for rural areas and there will be just as much competition for work in Adelaide as there is in Perth.

We only have 60 :/ so the agency have recommended we go for state sponsorship which will give us an extra 5.  Everyone else seems to have a lot more points than us though!  Very stressful! 

I had to take the general test to get more points and managed it....it wasn't as bad as I thought.  The academic one definitely looked harder.  

Our friend emigrated a year ago and only had to wait a couple of months from getting the invite to getting the visa so fingers crossed it's fast for you?

On 16/04/2018 at 02:03, CarrieJ82 said:

We only have 60 :/ so the agency have recommended we go for state sponsorship which will give us an extra 5.  Everyone else seems to have a lot more points than us though!  Very stressful! 

I had to take the general test to get more points and managed it....it wasn't as bad as I thought.  The academic one definitely looked harder.  

Our friend emigrated a year ago and only had to wait a couple of months from getting the invite to getting the visa so fingers crossed it's fast for you?

Hi another hopeful here, How many points did your friend have?

• 2 months later...