Best Green Suburbs to live with Family

stokie123

On 10/04/2018 at 09:55, Amber Snowball said:

There are some nice surburban streets as described above, maybe compromise with a nice family suburb with parks etc and a better commute. I would look to the east of the city, the west is a giant dust bowl as far as I am concerned. Unless you look at commuting in from Geelong, that has some nice areas.

Bit harsh to say 'the west' is a giant dust bowl - Werribee is fields and fields of crops! I am biased because I live in 'the west' but the inner-west, not the outer. Inner west has heaps of green - look at Yarraville, Newport, Williamstown, Altona......Newport has the highest density of parks and playgrounds in a Melbourne suburb, I believe. Plus it has Newport Lakes park and some excellent primary schools and is 20/25 mins commute from the city. Yarraville has Cruickshank Park, a fab little village feel and is only 15 mins from the CBD. Williamstown has The Strand, Commonwealth Gardens, Botanic Gardens & a great family beach. You can cycle along the coast from Williamstown Beach to Altona Beach (approx 4km) and Altona has JP Logan Reserve, 1.2km of Beach, Cherry Lake & is still only 35 mins from the CBD. Hubby loves Altona cos it has a village feel and doesn't feel like you're only 13km from the CBD at all. 

You can find drone footage of Altona Beach, Cherry Lake, Newport Lakes & Williamstown on YouTube.

• 1 month later...

A lot of the suggestions you've got on here are out east, which means you'll be commuting in via Metro, which is the suburban train network, a bit like the London underground except above ground. It breaks a lot, and is slow.

If you want to commute in luxury, VLine is the way to go, it's our regional rail network. Services aren't as frequent (usually once an hour after peak), but it's far more comfortable and has a lot less agro on it (junkies, graffitti, ferals etc). Have a look at the VLine network map and look at some of the smaller regional towns, there should be plenty of options within an hours commute like Ballan, Bacchus Marsh, Gisborne, Woodend etc. That's what I did 4+ years ago, had a look at the map, "Bacchus Marsh looks alright", found someone on here who lived there, never looked back.

On 06/06/2018 at 21:44, Bobths said:

Bit harsh to say 'the west' is a giant dust bowl - Werribee is fields and fields of crops! I am biased because I live in 'the west' but the inner-west, not the outer. Inner west has heaps of green - look at Yarraville, Newport, Williamstown, Altona......Newport has the highest density of parks and playgrounds in a Melbourne suburb, I believe. Plus it has Newport Lakes park and some excellent primary schools and is 20/25 mins commute from the city. Yarraville has Cruickshank Park, a fab little village feel and is only 15 mins from the CBD. Williamstown has The Strand, Commonwealth Gardens, Botanic Gardens & a great family beach. You can cycle along the coast from Williamstown Beach to Altona Beach (approx 4km) and Altona has JP Logan Reserve, 1.2km of Beach, Cherry Lake & is still only 35 mins from the CBD. Hubby loves Altona cos it has a village feel and doesn't feel like you're only 13km from the CBD at all. 

You can find drone footage of Altona Beach, Cherry Lake, Newport Lakes & Williamstown on YouTube.

Sorry, only just seen this! I like Williamstown, but the one road in and out is a pain. That and the cost! 

When I say West, I tend to think Werribee, Melton and dare I say it Bacchus Marsh. Altona is ok once you get past the oil refinery. The houses in Yarraville always feel so tiny, but nice shoppy bit with cafes/restaurants is ok.

My need to view drone footage is nil, but thanks for the suggestion. Maybe the OP took a look.

• 3 months later...