Best Green Suburbs to live with Family

stokie123

Hi All,

We're looking for some recommendations for the nicest, green, family friendly suburbs around Melbourne. We'll be commuting to Melbourne centre by train so we don't want anything more that 30 mins away but still would love to be surrounded by green and trees or at least have easy access to places to walk? Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you!

Thank you for the honest feedback, I'll widen the search then and look into up to an hour's commute. I travel to London at the moment and it takes me over 2 hours so I guess I was just getting greedy about the amount I could reduce my commute time by when eventually moving to Melbourne :)  

Therefore, I rephrase to: "Green, family friendly suburbs within an hours commute?" :) 

2 hours ago, stokie123 said:

Thank you for the honest feedback, I'll widen the search then and look into up to an hour's commute. I travel to London at the moment and it takes me over 2 hours so I guess I was just getting greedy about the amount I could reduce my commute time by when eventually moving to Melbourne :)  

Therefore, I rephrase to: "Green, family friendly suburbs within an hours commute?" :) 

Have you been to Melbourne?   Brits expect it to be smaller because the population is smaller. However, because the streets are so wide and so much of the suburbs are houses, that smaller number of people sprawls over a huge area.   The density of London is 1,500 people per square km.  The density of Melbourne is 450 per square km.

1 minute ago, Marisawright said:

Have you been to Melbourne?   Brits expect it to be smaller because the population is smaller. However, because the streets are so wide and so much of the suburbs are houses, that smaller number of people sprawls over a huge area.   The density of London is 1,500 people per square km.  The density of Melbourne is 450 per square km.

I personally haven't - My husband lived there for 4 years but that was 20 years ago and under very different circumstances. 

I guess I am just trying to do my research well in advance so I can get an understanding of house prices, commuting times etc. I am an analyst by trade so the more information I can consume and process at an early stage the better :):) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stokie123 said:

You might need to readjust your thinking as to “green” as well. Green in Melbourne isn’t the same as green in the UK. The first thing that strikes me when I visit the UK is how in my face green it is, all the different greens.  It is often brown here, low rainfall, like now. I have no grass at all at the moment and I am in the outer east of Melbourne, about an hour and a half commute, driving to the station 30 mins and then on a train to the city. Different flora also, so it is lovely in its own way, but very different. The grass is scratchy and hard as well......

There are some nice surburban streets as described above, maybe compromise with a nice family suburb with parks etc and a better commute. I would look to the east of the city, the west is a giant dust bowl as far as I am concerned. Unless you look at commuting in from Geelong, that has some nice areas.

• Like 3

Thanks Amber, this is all good information! I live in a very busy area of Sussex at the moment with a crazy amount of traffic and overpopulation. As I will be commuting for work I don't have unrealistic dreams of a semi-rural life so suburbs are ok for me - I just want to have a bit more breathing space and some easy access to green spaces with the children. I've heard good things about Mitcham and Bundoora and for beach side - Sandringham? I have friends living in Werribee and they seem happy there. 

• Like 1

A lot will depend on your budget, and potentially school preferences.

I live in Langwarrin (options of suburbia or larger plots of land if that's your preference), which we like - its mainly green and leafy, and with enough space to get your fix.

Its also 10-15 minutes drive to the beach at Seaford, and the same for the train. the express is then a 50 minute journey to flinders street.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, stokie123 said:

Thanks Amber, this is all good information! I live in a very busy area of Sussex at the moment with a crazy amount of traffic and overpopulation. As I will be commuting for work I don't have unrealistic dreams of a semi-rural life so suburbs are ok for me - I just want to have a bit more breathing space and some easy access to green spaces with the children. I've heard good things about Mitcham and Bundoora and for beach side - Sandringham? I have friends living in Werribee and they seem happy there. 

Ooh, Sandringham is nice! Pricey but I would like it there! :cool:

You will have space to breath, you really will.

I’m less keen on Bundoora, Mitchum isn’t bad. Used to do some home nursing around there. Good access to the city, train etc. The Eastern Freeway is busy in the peak times if driving. But shops and cafes and parks thereabouts. Blackburn is nice as well. 

You should be able to find something, budget will probably be a deciding factor, as it is for most of us. ;)

If you look on realestate.com.au it will give you an idea of price. If no price is listed, click on the statement of information button and that has a price range on it usually. Good luck. :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Amber Snowball said:

Ooh, Sandringham is nice! Pricey but I would like it there! :cool:

You will have space to breath, you really will.

I’m less keen on Bundoora, Mitchum isn’t bad. Used to do some home nursing around there. Good access to the city, train etc. The Eastern Freeway is busy in the peak times if driving. But shops and cafes and parks thereabouts. Blackburn is nice as well. 

You should be able to find something, budget will probably be a deciding factor, as it is for most of us. ;)

If you look on realestate.com.au it will give you an idea of price. If no price is listed, click on the statement of information button and that has a price range on it usually. Good luck. :)

Thanks Amber! I've been spending my evenings on the property sites which I am secretly addicted to :) Its just nice to be able to specify a few areas to understand the realistic costs. We rent at the moment in the UK and would do so to begin with in Melbourne and Iooking at costs so far haven't been significantly different to the rent we pay here when converting everything (including salary) into $AUS. We pay £1800 GBP per month for a 4 bed property here in the UK (AUS$3300 per month). 

I'll check out Blackburn too - and I agree with you that Sandringham looks really nice from the information I have read and pictures I have seen. Its also at the end of a train line so guaranteed a seat when commuting which would be a novelty after 4 years of Southern rail standing for an hour at a time ¬¬

• Like 1

Hi, try eastern suburbs such as : Ringwood, Ringwood North, Heathmont, Croydon. All nice 45-55 minutes train ride to the City, all very close to the Dandenong ranges and the Yarra valley ( fabulous winery’s and boutique breweries.) Much more affordable than inner east. Good schools and major shopping centre all at hand.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, stokie123 said:

Thanks Amber! I've been spending my evenings on the property sites which I am secretly addicted to :) Its just nice to be able to specify a few areas to understand the realistic costs. We rent at the moment in the UK and would do so to begin with in Melbourne and Iooking at costs so far haven't been significantly different to the rent we pay here when converting everything (including salary) into $AUS. We pay £1800 GBP per month for a 4 bed property here in the UK (AUS$3300 per month). 

I'll check out Blackburn too - and I agree with you that Sandringham looks really nice from the information I have read and pictures I have seen. Its also at the end of a train line so guaranteed a seat when commuting which would be a novelty after 4 years of Southern rail standing for an hour at a time ¬¬

I was the same! Searching houses and areas. Turned out I have never lived in any of the places I looked at back then! 

A guaranteed seat is one of life’s small pleasures. :)

@Coblers has flagged some other good options. Researching these will keep you busy! The best thing is to hit the ground when you get here and see the places in the flesh but at least you have some places to start with.  Ringwood is a bit of a train interchange on a small scale so lots of train options there.

• Like 1

On 11/04/2018 at 09:53, starlight7 said:

Park Orchards, Donvale, Tecoma, Upper Ferntree Gully, Croydon North, Lilydale, Warrandyte- all leafy.  Anywhere in the Dandenong ranges ( but make sure it is near a station)

Thank you for this, cant wait to do some research on these :) 

No where in Victoria is green.... I am born and raised in Melbourne. I have moved an hour out of Melbourne to geelong. 

We just don't get rain.... at all. 

Victoria is a dry place :(

If you are wanting a home 30 minutes to Melbourne your looking at 1 million plus.... welcome to aus!

• Like 1

I would like to suggest these places/suburbs Richmond, Toorak, South Yarra, Prahran, St Kilda. These are places I think that covers what you need. As it only requires few minutes t travel time from CBD as well as  family suburbs. No suburbs can guarantee 100% crime free, so better look for lowest crime rate suburbs. Hopefully I could help you with your question. :)

Guest The Pom Queen

@stokie123 I suppose the other question is if you have children and need schools. Do you prefer a village, town or city feel. Do you want a new build or an older house. There are some stunning new builds but they are usually on an estate with neighbours very close. 

• 1 month later...
On 10/04/2018 at 16:43, amibovered said:

Eltham, Warrandyte, Hurstbridge.

We live in Greensborough and will most likely be moving to the neighbouring suburb of Eltham for my daughter to attend Eltham High School. Both Eltham & Greensborough have easy train links to the city (35-40mins) and are super close to the country so you can jump in the car and explore quite easily. Also easy access to the M80 which takes you to the airport (only 30mins from us) or to the western side of the city and onto the Great Ocean Road. Both suburbs are quite hilly so get ready for that!

It's very green here in the winter (drizzly rain keeps it green!). Great options for schools (our kids go to an alternative state school that is Steiner-inspired) Loads of recreational trails that all link up to each other. You could even take the trail all the way into the city (Main Yarra Trail). We can see kangaroos off our deck and cockatoos/parrots/galahs/magpies are nosey neighbours in the sky! 

Hurstbridge is quite dry and is the last stop on the Hurstbridge train line. But, housing is cheaper there. After Eltham, you could consider Wattle Glen. 

Warrandyte is a favourite spot but there are no train links and traffic is a mess there during peak times. Gorgeous river to walk along though. 

Good luck!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, FCMelbs said:

We live in Greensborough and will most likely be moving to the neighbouring suburb of Eltham for my daughter to attend Eltham High School. Both Eltham & Greensborough have easy train links to the city (35-40mins) and are super close to the country so you can jump in the car and explore quite easily. Also easy access to the M80 which takes you to the airport (only 30mins from us) or to the western side of the city and onto the Great Ocean Road. Both suburbs are quite hilly so get ready for that!

It's very green here in the winter (drizzly rain keeps it green!). Great options for schools (our kids go to an alternative state school that is Steiner-inspired) Loads of recreational trails that all link up to each other. You could even take the trail all the way into the city (Main Yarra Trail). We can see kangaroos off our deck and cockatoos/parrots/galahs/magpies are nosey neighbours in the sky! 

Hurstbridge is quite dry and is the last stop on the Hurstbridge train line. But, housing is cheaper there. After Eltham, you could consider Wattle Glen. 

Warrandyte is a favourite spot but there are no train links and traffic is a mess there during peak times. Gorgeous river to walk along though. 

Good luck!

I have relatives and friends in the Greensborough area.  They have lived there for years and really like it.