Contributory parent visa questions

Biggers

Hi, I am writing on behalf of my parents. 

They applied for a CPV (143) in March 2015. 

I just have some questions regarding this visa.

i am living in Australia for 10 years and am a PR. I was just wondering when it’s likely the visa will be processed . We have used a migration agent who first said 12 months (from jan 2018) and now its gone back up to 18 months ! Has anyone got a clear idea on processing times currently ?

secondky, my parents are wanting to buy a home when they’re settled here but they’ve seen somewhere that they won’t be able to own a home because of their ages (they’re 55) and apparently this means they’re exempt from getting a home loan! What have other parents of residents/citizens done when the move has been made? Mortgage or rent? They’ll be bringing roughly  between $60,000 and $100,000 AUD over . 

Last questin is, out of the $100,000 paid to obtain the visa and become a PR, How much of this do you ‘get back?’ If any? Can you begin to obtain some Of the cost back at any point?? Medicare , medical cost etc? Just have no idea how this works!! 

Any other hints and tips appreciated . 

TIA. 

Amy 

Hi Amy.

Suggest you might send a blank email to parents@homeaffairs.gov.au

You should receive an email from the Parents Visa Centre in which you can see the lodgment date of parent visa applications that have been allocated for assessment.

Clients of mine have bought property in Australia following parent visas being granted.

The Assurance of Support Bonds (A$14k in total for a couple) are refundable if no claims have been made for Recoverable Social Security Payments:

http://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/9/4/1/10

I recommend you also familiarise yourself with the new income requirements that came into effect last week, and (as things stand)will affect your parents' visa application:

http://guides.dss.gov.au/guide-social-security-law/9/4/3/60

Best regards.

On 09/04/2018 at 13:01, Alan Collett said:

PS.  If the visa application was lodged in March 2015 your parents should be closing in on a visa decision ... do you have a copy of the visa application acknowledgment letter?

The PVC is presently assessing applications lodged up to 20 April 2015.

Hi Alan, thanks for your reply. I did email them and it definitely gave us a good indication of where the current visa processing times are upto etc.. so that was very helpful. 

My parents and I still need to do lots of research when it comes to buying property.. we just don’t know where to start, it’s quite daunting. Would you be able to advise where to start looking? I was hoping to find more info on this topic from this forum but no such luck so far, I’m still trying to get my head around navigating the site ;)

Thanks again,

Amy 

On 4/9/2018 at 12:28, Biggers said:

because of their ages (they’re 55) and apparently this means they’re exempt from getting a home loan!

It really depends on the lender. If you have a substantial deposit and an income, I can't see why you wouldn't qualify for a home loan. The problem is that many 55 year olds are close to retirement, so they might not have an income for very long.

On 4/9/2018 at 12:28, Biggers said:

Last questin is, out of the $100,000 paid to obtain the visa and become a PR, How much of this do you ‘get back?’

You don't get anything back directly. It's all in-directly - immediately in the form of medicare. Assuming, your parents can out-live the AoS period, they _might_ qualify for an aged pension at some point. Grandparents might help out with childcare, which can be cost saving. Also, if you have a family trust or small business, grand parents can also be useful in distributing profits in a tax efficient manner ... but all the returns are indirect.

You should also look in to the first home buyer grants in your state. Pretty sure that nothing excludes 143 visa holders from claiming this.

Current processing time is around 3 years.

Here is a link to the calculator for assurer income that changed recently:

www.centrelink.gov.au/custsite_aoscalc/aoscalc/financialCalPage.jsf?prg_id=34d2688b28984064b998d5e17948910b&wec-appid=aoscalc&page=1C0EADC1A5804952B374580CFFB9BDFD&wec-locale=en_US#stay

Unfortunately the visa application charge is a donation to the Australian government, but you will get the AoS back after 10 years.

Out of the $100k, you'll get about $14k(with interest) back after 10 years. During the 10 year period, they will have access to Medicare and "urgent" assistance from Centrelink.

Best thing to do is for them to start renting even if it is get a feel for the area. Will they be working?

As others have said, look into the First home owner grant in your state. Find a good mortgage broker to help with the tricky mortgage situations, there are ways around it but may involve good incomes, significant asset base, low lvr and/or you jumping on the application. Good luck.

Hi Biggers,

no not at the moment, the last form we sent off was the P80, and that was after the wife chased up our Visa Agent.

Our visa Agent John Adams & Co keep telling us to wait to here from a case Officer?

One person got in contact with the Immigration  Minister Peter Dutton, then this started to move, I think this may be the next step for us.

Regards

James

·         OFFSHORE APPLICANTS (subclass 143/173)

When your application is allocated to an assessing officer, you or your authorised contact may be asked to provide more documents, including but not limited to, Assurance of Support (subclass 143 only), police certificates and health clearances to finalise your application. 

We are currently assessing applications lodged up to and including 20 April 2015.

This is the last one i got back and this was over 2 weeks ago, anyone got a more up to date return ?

Edited by jimbob007

On 09/04/2018 at 11:01, Alan Collett said:

PS.  If the visa application was lodged in March 2015 your parents should be closing in on a visa decision ... do you have a copy of the visa application acknowledgment letter?

The PVC is presently assessing applications lodged up to 20 April 2015.

My acknowledgment letter says 23rd April ?whats the progress in your application 

• 2 months later...