Sending clothes in container without PR

Emmys Gran

We have a 12 month 600 visitor visa and are heading to Australia in May. We applied for a 143 cpv  in June 2015 so, providing we don’t develop any nasty illnesses before the medical, we should be granted pr during our “visit”   We are shipping our furniture & stuff with Doree Bonner & while awaiting a reply from them I thought I’d post my query here.

I’ve been looking at an info leaflet on sending unaccompanied personal effects.  It seems to say you can’t send clothes if you’re not a permanent resident.  This seems a bit strange when furniture and even furs are allowed. If we send clothes what happens if they’re not allowed? Are they confiscated or is there  tax to pay?

Here’s the link https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/Factsheets/Documents/sendingpersonalbelongingstoaustraliafinal2015feb17.pdf

Edited by Emmys Gran

4 hours ago, Marisawright said:

I have no idea whether it would matter, but would Immigration take a dim view of someone arriving on a 600 visa with intent to remain permanently?  If so, then it wouldn't be a good idea to reveal your intentions by moving all your worldly goods with you.

No problem. Immigration were aware of our cpv application when granting the 600 visa and our shippers have checked that it’s ok to send our stuff on a 12 month temp visa with a permanent one in the offing. We couldn’t do it with a temporary visa of less than 12 months

9 hours ago, Emmys Gran said:

No problem. Immigration were aware of our cpv application when granting the 600 visa and our shippers have checked that it’s ok to send our stuff on a 12 month temp visa with a permanent one in the offing. We couldn’t do it with a temporary visa of less than 12 months

Of course they would be aware of your application when granting the 600 visa.  But the official position would be so you could on a visit before the grant of the visa, not so you can move out early.