Victoria State school fees on Temp Visa (medium/long term skills)

stokie123

Hello!

I’m eligible for a skilled employer sponsored visa (subclass 482) and am looking into options for moving to Melbourne to be near family. The old 457 visa is showing as being exempt from school fee payments but I can’t see any update on the Victoria state website since the changes made to the 457 and the move over to the new Visa options for MLTSSL. Does anyone know the rules for these new visas for paying school fees please?

Thanks in advance!

12 minutes ago, woody2709 said:

Hi stokie, would it be yourself doing the studying or somebody else on your visa? What type of studying is planned?

Hi Woody, I’d actually be employed based on my skills and it’s our children and their schooling I’m thinking about. 

16 minutes ago, woody2709 said:

Hi stokie, I believe your daughter will need her own student visa and then that covers the tuition fees. https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/500-

I can't find much info at the moment about children under 6 but ill keep looking 

Thanks so much Woody, this visa stuff is so complicated! I don’t think this is the case as the cost for a skilled migrant visa includes the price of for all family members so I would be surprised if I have to apply for another visa for my children. I’m going to have to research this some more ? 

This is where the original information came from for the 457 visa where its states that school fees are covered: http://www.education.vic.gov.au/Documents/school/principals/curriculum/osschstudfee.pdf

No updates yet about the 457 replacement Visas (482 MLTSSL) on this list but I have found a section on the 482 information:

This visa allows you to travel to and from Australia for the duration of your visa and:

• if you are the primary visa holder, to work in Australia for an approved sponsor in your nominated occupation
  • if you are a family member, to work and study in Australia.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/482-

Edited by stokie123

Just now, woody2709 said:

I've just spent a lot of time on that website but also couldn't find much about the topic. Home affairs website doesn't give much away either, Maybe contacting education victoria directly and asking will be a sure fire way of getting an answer

Thank you Woody, you have been a hero looking into this for me - I'm losing the will to live going round in circles from one website to another. :)  I'll make contact with the education authorities directly as you have suggested.

• Haha 1

I found this independent website which outlines the details in a more user friendly way (surprise surprise) https://www.tssimmigration.com.au/services/detail/temporary-skill-shortage-tss-visa

Here it states:

Can I include my family members in my application?  Yes. Spouses/Partners and children can be included in a TSS visa application as dependent family members. These family members will have unrestricted work and study rights.

I would like to think this means no fees?!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mooiee said:

I'd be interested to know the results of your enquiry as I may be getting a new TSS (457) visa and we have a 16 month old little boy and we hope to be going to Victoria too!

Hi Mooiee! I've been looking into this option for weeks; trying to understand the details of skilled migration options now that the 457 is no longer applicable so if you wanted to share information then feel free to message me! :) 

Hi - we just finished paying 2 years of school fees for our 3 kids in Victoria whilst my hubby was on a 573 student visa. From the list I have, most people on employer sponsored visas do NOT have to pay in Victoria (it changes in each state). Don’t see a 482 visa listed but this list is quite detailed. osschstudfee.pdf

good luck!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...