Arrival in Oz after acceptance of 190

Hi all,

First post so apologies if I'm doing it wrong.

My partner and I are trying to work out when to apply for my visa (she has a Aus passport) and part of the problem is we don't know when we want to move.

I've been weighing up the options between a skilled visa and a partner visa and would ideally like to apply and get the visa and then decide when to move. Does anyone know how flexible this is? Would I have to touch down in Oz and register within a certain time period, either for the 190 skilled visa or the 100 Partner visa?

Thanks for any help in advance.

For either a skilled or a partner visa you have to make your first entry to Australia within 12 months of the police check or medical, which ever is earlier. However, you have five years from grant to make the actual move. 

This is what we did. Got our visa in Oct 2016, activated with a holiday to Oz in Aug 2017, moving in September 2018. We front loaded our medicals and PCC, but with review times dragging out, it may be worth waiting longer if you aren’t in any rush for a holiday (our visa review took 7 weeks but reading that it’s taking many months now).

59 minutes ago, ABG said:

This is what we did. Got our visa in Oct 2016, activated with a holiday to Oz in Aug 2017, moving in September 2018. We front loaded our medicals and PCC, but with review times dragging out, it may be worth waiting longer if you aren’t in any rush for a holiday (our visa review took 7 weeks but reading that it’s taking many months now).

Partner visas applied for off shore are taking less than three months start to finish. 

Impossible to say. Particularly at the moment as there is a huge review of visas being undertaken - the government have announced it want to reduce the types of visa from hundreds to less than ten. The golden rule is if you qualify for a visa now, apply now. 

This is so useful to know, thank you. You've helped us make up our minds, started collecting photos/documents yesterday! Thanks again.