shipping your own 20ft Shipping container

Davo453

We are moving back to Oz later in the year,

When we came to the UK we used Pickfords and had downsized a pretty large farm to a matter of a few tea chests and a bit of furniture no more than maybe 1/8 container full.

We now have quite a lot more stuff mostly workshop equipment etc but some furniture and household stuff.

I am considering buying my own 20 container suitable to ship back. I have scanned the forum but I can't find anyone that has done this (must be surely).

The container would once there make useful storage space on the new property.

Is it worth doing? Whats security like? Any companies that can maybe do the packing, delivery & customs stuff?

Thanks

Dave

Over my years on the forum I do recall one or two people doing this but it’s not for most people. 

Shame you can’t find the threads on it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

An update and end to this thread, we arrived back in Australi last November we travelled around for a while and took delivery of our goods in March.

We have settled into Bundaberg and are really happy with our choice, I urge you to consider it if you don't want to be saddled with possible huge housing debt in the major cities and traffic to deal with. There is work in Bundy (but prepare to be flexible) and a really great climate even the winters are warm. Brisbane is 4 hours to the south so whilst remote it's not that bad and Bundaberg has everything you need.

Our move to Australia using PSS was a rather bitter one, all went OK  to begin with apart from a very rushed packing experience in the UK. We paid for secure storage in Australia and went with PSS's recommended insurer this was a big mistake. To "maintain cover" we were made to pay an extortionate premium every 2 weeks after the goods arrived in Australia and until the goods were delivered and in actual fact, we might as well not have bothered we would have been better off ending it when the stuff had cleared customs. 

We were told that the container packed in the UK would be the one that arrived at our door in Australia, not the case, it was unloaded at least twice. A full to the rafters container in the UK arrived 3/4 full in Australia, some settling I guess but some missing. Do not be fooled by the "container is all yours" line, in the rushed of packing (caused by the need of the packers to travel 4 hours each way on both days even though we lived near Birmingham) we put a few things into the container at the last minute,  they it seems we're not entered into the manifest which in the panic we missed. Those goods did not arrive in at our address in Australia and PSS refused to even acknowledge our concerns.

When you go through the insurance valuation process you are lead to believe that you are insuring the goods for the value you write down but this is not the case its just so they can write a premium to that value. For example, a commercial microwave oven valued at £150 (much less than a new price) on the form was totally trashed and they paid out £40.  At the end of the day after working their magic, they paid just 10% of our very conservative claim and with no appeal.  

Moving country is always a hassle but we have done it three times before, this time was by very far the worse experience, I doubt that we will shift country again but we could not recommend and would certainly not use PSS again.