Moving from Canada

Sam904

Hello Everyone,

I am living in Vancouver Canada with family. We Love everything about where we are other than the weather. We are thinking of Moving to Australia, all i know is weather is great. Any information would be appreciated, please share your experience about anything you can think off:

• Lifestyle for family
  • Schooling system
  • Culture
  • How easy to get white collar job/ IT industry
  • Pay scale
  • Best city to live
  • Living expense
  • Biggest issues
  • ETC

The biggest issue, before you even start, is to work out whether you're eligible to migrate to Australia.   Australia is just as strict as Canada when it comes to admitting new migrants.  

To be accepted for migration, one of you must have an occupation that's on the list of occupations (he or she will be the main applicant).  The main applicant will also have to meet criteria related to age and experience.  So in your shoes, I'd be checking all that out, before you get too excited.  

If you do qualify, then there's a lot of research ahead of you.   It's easy to get an idyllic idea of life in Australia, especially if you're all rugged up in the middle of a Canadian winter.  However, the weather is not always great in Australia!    Australia is about the same size as Canada. If I said to you, the weather is the same in Vancouver as in Nunavut, you would laugh at me, wouldn't you?  Australia's weather varies from tropical in the far north, with monsoon-style rain, hot and humid, to English-style weather in the far south.   Believe it or not, some people (like me) find the northern half of the country too hot to be comfortable!   So you need to think what "good weather" means to you before you can decide which areas might work.  

Edited by Marisawright

Hello and welcome. Do you know if you could get a visa to enable you to migrate? 

Everyone is different, what suits one won't suit another. 

TBH the weather is often great but it can also be stinking hot, unbelievably so (think a run of 40C plus days in summer and nights not dropping below 30C for example). And also that big hole in the ozone means the UV here is harsh and can cause damage. You will no doubt need to be prepared to embrace a life of sunscreen, hat, sunnies and so on for 7-9 months of the year if outdoors for periods of time. 

You say 'we' and ask about the education system so figure you to be a family with children. 

I could write loads but honestly, don't have time or inclination as I've posted the same sort of things hundreds of times over on this forum. For us we are happy, have a great life, lots of sports for our child to choose from, good schools where we live so had a decent choice (and good private options if wanted). We bought in a lovely area that suits us. We didn't want beach living so are about 15 minutes inland in the hills of Adelaide. 

Can't help on work as am really not in that market. 

Best city to live is subjective. Sydney and Melbourne are expensive keep in mind and you could end out a long way out to be able to afford to live there. We love Adelaide but its not for everyone. It suits us and we have a good lifestyle with a really great balance of work and family time. 

I'd suggest spending some time browsing the forum and doing some reading on the things you are asking. There is lots of useful info out there. 

I worked with a woman from Vancouver (I'm in Perth) and she moved to escape the weather, she loved it here. She said the two places were quite similar, clean and modern, safe, cost a fortune etc. There were some things she missed, a particular brand of doughnuts being one thing I remember.

• Like 1

Hi Snifter, Thank you for your reply. We are Canadian passport holders so I am planing to visit Australia this fall, so far i am thinking of Sydney and Melbourne for 2 weeks visit to grasp some ground facts. We have 6 months old baby. I will browse on site to read.

35 minutes ago, Sam904 said:

Thank you Marisa! we are in IT industry. I did some stat check and it seems Sydney and Melbourne are the only cities with good IT prospects. I am still undecided though want to do some more research. 

But do your qualifications and experience meet the criteria set by the Immigration department?   It doesn't matter what the employment prospects are, you need to get a visa first.

Sydney has the kind of weather you probably picture as typically Australian and it's a beautiful place, however it is very expensive.  Melbourne weather is more unpredictable and although there are beaches, it's not really a place for a beach lifestyle.  Homes are about two-thirds the price of Sydney, though.

Thank you Marisa for quick weather comparison, You seems very well informed,. I do have few options to immigrate to Australia including Employer sponsorship from couple cities. I am only concern about leaving Canada because i am well settle here. I want to do a good comparison of what to expect is Australian cities. If i have some good information about different cities on my 2-3 week tourist visit before finally moving, i will focus on understanding concerns ie Sydney cost of living and Melbourne transport issue. I still want to know more about Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth or any other major city.

5 hours ago, Sam904 said:

Thank you Marisa for quick weather comparison, You seems very well informed,. I do have few options to immigrate to Australia including Employer sponsorship from couple cities. I am only concern about leaving Canada because i am well settle here. I want to do a good comparison of what to expect is Australian cities. If i have some good information about different cities on my 2-3 week tourist visit before finally moving, i will focus on understanding concerns ie Sydney cost of living and Melbourne transport issue. I still want to know more about Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth or any other major city.

Melbourne transport issues?   I lived in Sydney for 30 years and have been in Melbourne for 18 months.  Public transport in Melbourne is much better than Sydney.

1 minute ago, s713 said:

Just on the weather thing, I've been to Melbourne about 10 times and 9 times the weather was crap. The other time it was 46 degrees.

I've been to Melbourne fairly often and apart from one Christmas when it was 40C it always been quite pleasant.  It is changeable but that never bothered me.  Much prefer that to heat and humidity.

3 hours ago, Sam904 said:

Thanks guys! Do you also know something about schooling system for kids, Culture, tolerance towards skin colour, pay scale???

Much will depend on where you settle. Tbh all of the schools I’ve visited or my child has attendd have been fine. And I know lots of people with kids in other schools that are happy with their choices. Just find one that suits you.

Not sure what you mean by pay scale though.

Also keep in mind if you focus on Sydney and Melbourne you may be priced out of areas as they are pricey to live in, Sydney especially. 

Also, depending on the state, schools may well be zoned. 

Visit, see if you like what you see and then review where you may want to aim for in terms of a place to live. 

You are probably going to see 2 vast sprawling cities and I’m not sure you’ll really see much of what it is really like in suburbia and how it could be to live here if you confine yourself in and around the tourist areas or the CBD’s.