Social work & business analyst jobs

Bettiblu

Hi,

We have had our visa approved and will be travelling in August. My partner and I are going to try and find employment before leave the UK, hopefully have skype interviews or at least some face to face interviews lined up for when we arrive.

I was wondering wondering how people have got on with finding employment before they arrive in Oz.

Also, as a little heads up is there

Anything we could be doing now before we leave in terms of getting set for life over there? I was going to open up a bank account soon and look at applying for a blue card etc.

Thanks

Don't get your hopes up about getting a job before you move.   Employers are reluctant to hire new migrants before arrival, because they know you're going to be in chaos for the first few weeks - finding a place to live, activating the bank account, buying a car, buying furniture and pots and pans and linen and....so if you say you'll start work immediately, you're not going to be properly focussed, and all kinds of things might go wrong.  

Basically, when an employer is faced with the choice between a decent local candidate and an outstanding overseas one, they're always more likely to play it safe and hire the local guy. 

Of course I don't know anything about demand in your sectors.  If there's a real shortage, you might get lucky.

2 hours ago, Bettiblu said:

Hi,

We have had our visa approved and will be travelling in August. My partner and I are going to try and find employment before leave the UK, hopefully have skype interviews or at least some face to face interviews lined up for when we arrive.

I was wondering wondering how people have got on with finding employment before they arrive in Oz.

Also, as a little heads up is there

Anything we could be doing now before we leave in terms of getting set for life over there? I was going to open up a bank account soon and look at applying for a blue card etc.

Thanks

I’m going to sound really dumb now but what is a blue card?

Don't get your hopes up about getting a job before you move.   Employers are reluctant to hire new migrants before arrival, because they know you're going to be in chaos for the first few weeks - finding a place to live, activating the bank account, buying a car, buying furniture and pots and pans and linen and....so if you say you'll start work immediately, you're not going to be properly focussed, and all kinds of things might go wrong.  
Basically, when an employer is faced with the choice between a decent local candidate and an outstanding overseas one, they're always more likely to play it safe and hire the local guy. 
Of course I don't know anything about demand in your sectors.  If there's a real shortage, you might get lucky.

Hi, thanks for your reply. That does make sense. I have however spoken to a couple of people who have been successful in finding employment before arriving but with a view of starting a few weeks after they land.
I’m thinking of approaching agencies first just get my foot in the door. With regards to furniture etc that’s getting shipped and we’re planning of air bnb’ing for a a little while whilst the furniture arrives. I don’t intend to work as soon as i touch down but perhaps 2-3 weeks in

5 minutes ago, Bettiblu said:

Hi, from what I understand it’s like our equivalent to a DBS the old CRB.

Well, I’ve learnt something today, thanks. I’ve only lived here 12 years......:$

You might have some luck with social work jobs before arriving depending on where you are headed. It’s one of those jobs with high turnover rates.....

All the best.

Well, I’ve learnt something today, thanks. I’ve only lived here 12 years......[emoji5]
You might have some luck with social work jobs before arriving depending on where you are headed. It’s one of those jobs with high turnover rates.....
All the best.

Haha oh god, I could totally be wrong ??‍♀️
Are you in this line of work?

1 hour ago, Bettiblu said:

Hi, from what I understand it’s like our equivalent to a DBS the old CRB.

It has a different name in each State and you will need to apply to the State in which you will be working. However you can usually only apply once you have an employer, as they need to sign the forms etc. I also don't think there are any States where you can apply offshore, even if you have a job.

Edited by Nemesis

It has a different name in each State and you will need to apply to the State in which you will be working. However you can usually only apply once you have an employer, as they need to sign the forms etc. I also don't think there are any States where you can apply offshore, even if you have a job.

Ah ok, thank you Nemesis