489 State sponsored Vs 489 Family sponsored

gord81

Hi All,

Could anyone advise on which one is the better option...... success/processing time/priority etc?

I'm looking at Queensland and my brother lives there so family sponsorship is an option but wanted to know if they give priority for one over the other. If anyone has any experience or knows of the pro's and con's I would love to hear them.

Cheers 

Gordon

Queensland Everywhere except the greater Brisbane area Valid postcodes for family 489 - 4019 to 4028, 4037 to 4050, 4079 to 4100, 4114, 4118, 4124 to 4150, 4158 to 4168, 4180 to 4899

Queensland Everywhere except the greater Brisbane area and the Gold Coast Valid postcodes for State nomination- 4124 to 4125, 4133, 4211, 4270 to 4272, 4275, 4280, 4285, 4287, 4307 to 4499, 4515, 4517 to 4519, 4522 to 4899
Edited by woody2709

Hi Woody2709,

Thanks for the reply.

He lives within the family area postcodes, so I'm trying to work out which will give me access to the most areas so I can move around as freely as possible to check out more areas for living and have greater access to work locations.

Do you know if the family sponsorship ties me down to a certain area such as where my brother lives? 

Or will it give me access to the regional area postcodes plus the family area postcodes? 

Thanks 

Gordon 

16 hours ago, gord81 said:

Hi Woody2709,

Thanks for the reply.

He lives within the family area postcodes, so I'm trying to work out which will give me access to the most areas so I can move around as freely as possible to check out more areas for living and have greater access to work locations.

Do you know if the family sponsorship ties me down to a certain area such as where my brother lives? 

Or will it give me access to the regional area postcodes plus the family area postcodes? 

Thanks 

Gordon 

I believe it will give you access to all the regional postcodes including where your brother lives. The information I found is rather vague but definitley outlines that much

Your obligations

Extended stay pathway applicants

If you were nominated by a state or territory for your current skilled visa, you must live and work in a regional or low-population growth metropolitan area in the same state or territory that nominated you for your current visa.

If you were sponsored by a relative for your current skilled visa, you can live and work in any designated area in any state or territory.

Nominated applicants

You must live and work in the state or territory that nominated you.

You might also have to:

• live in the nominating state or territory for a specified minimum time
  • be prepared to complete surveys and provide other information your nominator asks for
  • meet any other requirements of the state or territory.

Sponsored applicants

You can work in any designated area in any state or territory.

Family 489 can take longer for an invitation as it's still points based and will be against all 189 and 190 visas. State nominated will require a separate application to the state, but is generally processed within a month. What's your occupation and points?
Yes I'm applying 489 state nomination to the northern territory

Timeline

Electrician (general) 60 points +10 SS

Applied for NT nomination - 09/02/18
State nomination granted - 12/02/18
Visa invitation - 14/02/18
Visa application lodged - 15/02/18
Medical - 20/02/18
Police certs for UK and Aus -13/03/18

No case officer contact yet

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...