Commonwealth Games GC2018

calNgary

33 minutes ago, Bulya said:

They tried to but he turned them away as he thought he could continue.  Just updated on the news 

I saw that when watching and he did get up and continue for a little while ,albeit very wobbly. When he went down the 2nd time i think it was obvious to anyone after a minute or so he couldnt get up and the poor guy just lay there motionless. I feel so sorry for his family watching from the UK they must have been worried senseless.

Cal x

11 hours ago, Bulya said:

Chinless wonders..

we will see who's chinless when the games come to Birmingham .

Australian arrogance has been noted , as I watched the closing ceremony with my mom , the pommie commentators mentioned it a few times.

I even saw the end of the netball ?

2 comments from bulya and parley ,who are plastic Aussies , you should be ashamed ...seriously .

if you think the poms are chinless ....pack your bags and make your way to brum , and I will take you on a tour ?

3 hours ago, calNgary said:

I saw that when watching and he did get up and continue for a little while ,albeit very wobbly. When he went down the 2nd time i think it was obvious to anyone after a minute or so he couldnt get up and the poor guy just lay there motionless. I feel so sorry for his family watching from the UK they must have been worried senseless.

Cal x

can I just an obvious question ....what time was the marathon held in 27c heat ?

surely it should start at daybreak and finish early morning for the health of the athletes running over 26 miles

why did no one help the bloke ...and instead were taking pictures ? .....that was also noted on British t.v

1 hour ago, bunbury61 said:

can I just an obvious question ....what time was the marathon held in 27c heat ?

surely it should start at daybreak and finish early morning for the health of the athletes running over 26 miles

why did no one help the bloke ...and instead were taking pictures ? .....that was also noted on British t.v

we are in Brisbane at present, and it was 28 degrees at 9am yesterday.........by midday it was 32 degrees. 

Edited by Nemesis

40 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

we are in Brisbane at present, and it was 28 degrees at 9am yesterday.........by midday it was 32 degrees. 

so knowing that nemesis , why wasn't the race started at 7am ? ....these people have to run 26miles plus .....its ridiculous ,regardless where they are from .

if it was a horse race ,there would rightly be an outcry

4 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

5. Jim Peters collapses at end of the marathon in the 1954 British Empire Games

Jim Peters was unconscious for three hours after collapsing at the end of the marathon at Vancouver 1954 ©Getty Images/Hulton Archive

Even now, more than 60 years after it happened, the grainy black-and-white newsreel footage is still painful to watch. 

Jim Peters, a 35-year-old Englishman who had lowered his own marathon world record to 2 hours 17 min 39.4sec just five weeks earlier, is wobbling on spindly legs down the Empire Stadium track during the 1954 Empire Games in Vancouver. 

After running 26 miles on the road under a blazingly hot mid-day sun in temperatures that reached as high as 28 degrees, he is weaving back and forth across the track, stumbling like a drunk in a groggy search for the finish tape and the victory.

It is 45 minutes after a capacity crowd of 35,000 has been enthralled by the "Miracle Mile", the legendary race between Roger Bannister and John Landy.

And now, suddenly, the fans are transfixed by this heroic/tragic figure whose face is turning as ghostly greyish-white in his sweat-soaked singlet, ridiculously baggy shorts and Woolworth’s plimsoles. 

High in the pressbox, the great Peter Wilson of the Daily Mirror fed another sheet into his typewriter: "Two steps forward, three to the side. So help me, he is running backwards now...oh, he's down again...The nauseous spectacle of a semi-conscious man being allowed to destroy himself while no one had the power or gumption to intervene."

Some in the crowd had begun shouting for officials to put a stop to the sad sight. At one point, the announcer called for order and "a respect for sportsmanship".

Peter Wilson of the Daily Mirror described Jim Peters' struggle as like watching Peter Wilson of the Daily Mirror described Jim Peters' struggle as like watching "a trapped and bloody fox which has gnawed its own leg off for freedom" ©Getty Images

Peters, who entered the Stadium 17 minutes ahead of his closest pursuer, eventually sprawls over what some English officials thought to be the finish line, where he is caught by the team’s masseur and laid on a stretcher. The "grotesque" dance has gone on for 11 minutes.

"And then they announce that the real finish line is on the other side of the track, 220 yards away, and so Jim Peters has lost anyway," Wilson wrote.

"What does he remind you of, as, head lolling and a collar of foam streaming from one corner of his twisted mouth, a landed fish with a gaffed jaw heaving for water and dying in the sun, a trapped and bloody fox which has gnawed its own leg off for freedom, a rabbit with infected myxomatosis beating its own brains out?"

Several myths have grown up around the race, including a claim by English officials at the time that the course was too long by as much as three-quarters-of-a-mile than the official distance of 26 miles 385 yards. Alex Frew, who had been in charge of measuring the marathon course for the Games, later claimed that "two or three months of laborious preparation" went into ensuring the length of the course was accurate. 

Before the start of the race, Peters had tossed away the baseball cap he had bought that morning to help beat the heat. He had never used a cap before and found it uncomfortable. "With that cap, I would have, without a doubt, finished the race," he said years later.

Incredibly, Peters drank no water during the race. He liked to cool himself with sponges, but the first two he took at the feed stations were dry.

Despite the sweltering conditions, he set off on a fast 2:20 pace, with only team-mate Stan Cox and Scotland's Joe McGhee able to stay with him. McGhee dropped back at nine miles. As Peters neared the Stadium, he believed Cox was still close behind. But Cox, suffering from heatstroke, had run into a telegraph pole at 24 miles.

There were reports that English officials who could have informed him of his big lead had abandoned their positions to go into the Stadium to watch the Bannister-Landy race.

Cheers, Bobj.

3 hours ago, Bobj said:

5. Jim Peters collapses at end of the marathon in the 1954 British Empire Games

Jim Peters was unconscious for three hours after collapsing at the end of the marathon at Vancouver 1954 ©Getty Images/Hulton Archive

Even now, more than 60 years after it happened, the grainy black-and-white newsreel footage is still painful to watch. 

Jim Peters, a 35-year-old Englishman who had lowered his own marathon world record to 2 hours 17 min 39.4sec just five weeks earlier, is wobbling on spindly legs down the Empire Stadium track during the 1954 Empire Games in Vancouver. 

After running 26 miles on the road under a blazingly hot mid-day sun in temperatures that reached as high as 28 degrees, he is weaving back and forth across the track, stumbling like a drunk in a groggy search for the finish tape and the victory.

It is 45 minutes after a capacity crowd of 35,000 has been enthralled by the "Miracle Mile", the legendary race between Roger Bannister and John Landy.

And now, suddenly, the fans are transfixed by this heroic/tragic figure whose face is turning as ghostly greyish-white in his sweat-soaked singlet, ridiculously baggy shorts and Woolworth’s plimsoles. 

High in the pressbox, the great Peter Wilson of the Daily Mirror fed another sheet into his typewriter: "Two steps forward, three to the side. So help me, he is running backwards now...oh, he's down again...The nauseous spectacle of a semi-conscious man being allowed to destroy himself while no one had the power or gumption to intervene."

Some in the crowd had begun shouting for officials to put a stop to the sad sight. At one point, the announcer called for order and "a respect for sportsmanship".

Peter Wilson of the Daily Mirror described Jim Peters' struggle as like watching Peter Wilson of the Daily Mirror described Jim Peters' struggle as like watching "a trapped and bloody fox which has gnawed its own leg off for freedom" ©Getty Images

Peters, who entered the Stadium 17 minutes ahead of his closest pursuer, eventually sprawls over what some English officials thought to be the finish line, where he is caught by the team’s masseur and laid on a stretcher. The "grotesque" dance has gone on for 11 minutes.

"And then they announce that the real finish line is on the other side of the track, 220 yards away, and so Jim Peters has lost anyway," Wilson wrote.

"What does he remind you of, as, head lolling and a collar of foam streaming from one corner of his twisted mouth, a landed fish with a gaffed jaw heaving for water and dying in the sun, a trapped and bloody fox which has gnawed its own leg off for freedom, a rabbit with infected myxomatosis beating its own brains out?"

Several myths have grown up around the race, including a claim by English officials at the time that the course was too long by as much as three-quarters-of-a-mile than the official distance of 26 miles 385 yards. Alex Frew, who had been in charge of measuring the marathon course for the Games, later claimed that "two or three months of laborious preparation" went into ensuring the length of the course was accurate. 

Before the start of the race, Peters had tossed away the baseball cap he had bought that morning to help beat the heat. He had never used a cap before and found it uncomfortable. "With that cap, I would have, without a doubt, finished the race," he said years later.

Incredibly, Peters drank no water during the race. He liked to cool himself with sponges, but the first two he took at the feed stations were dry.

Despite the sweltering conditions, he set off on a fast 2:20 pace, with only team-mate Stan Cox and Scotland's Joe McGhee able to stay with him. McGhee dropped back at nine miles. As Peters neared the Stadium, he believed Cox was still close behind. But Cox, suffering from heatstroke, had run into a telegraph pole at 24 miles.

There were reports that English officials who could have informed him of his big lead had abandoned their positions to go into the Stadium to watch the Bannister-Landy race.

Cheers, Bobj.

so how warm was it bob ? .....and secondly , hasn't a lesson learned .

human beings running over 26 miles in temps over 27c .....its poor planning at best .

I wouldn't let my dog run 2 miles in that , never mind 26".....its bullshit

2 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

so how warm was it bob ? .....and secondly , hasn't a lesson learned

human beings running over 26 miles in temps over 27c .....its poor planning at best .

ps why on earth would you dig up an article from 1954 ? or are you trying to make it an oz uk post ...for heavens sake

3 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

so knowing that nemesis , why wasn't the race started at 7am ? ....these people have to run 26miles plus .....its ridiculous ,regardless where they are from .

The weather on Sunday was exceptionally and unusually hot.  Several degrees above average and indeed way hotter than the day before even.  Saturday morning had been cool and overcast.

Organisers cannot move a series of road races forward a couple of hours at the drop of a hat.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bunbury61 said:

ps why on earth would you dig up an article from 1954 ? or are you trying to make it an oz uk post ...for heavens sake

You made comment about the heat and you made comment about photographing the Scottish athlete, both condemning Australians for their actions in that incident. I showed that these things happened before...and will happen again.

You were the one making it an Oz/UK post.

Cheers, Bobj.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Australian arrogance has been noted , as I watched the closing ceremony with my mom , the pommie commentators mentioned it a few times.

2 comments from bulya and parley ,who are plastic Aussies , you should be ashamed ...seriously .

if you think the poms are chinless ....pack your bags and make your way to brum , and I will take you on a tour ?

Hardly a plastic Aussie after half a century here.  Not a failed migrant either 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Because he asked them to stay away as he thought he ciukd continue.  Oh and 27 is barely warm, but for a chinless wonder it might be

11 hours ago, calNgary said:

I had a little giggle at this...

a.jpg

The closing ceremony was terrible and not to show the athletes come out was a huge mistake - I watched for an hour waiting - then my daughter read it that they were already in the arena  (and many had then left).  I wanted to see Kurt Fearnley carry the flag  

7 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

The wheelchair marathon started at 6:10am, the women’s marathon started at 7:20am and the men’s at 8:15am.  For the men’s to have started at 7am the wheelchair marathon would have had to start at 4:55am.  Probably not realistic, practical or fair on the wheelchair athletes asking them to be up and ready to race at that time of day.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

so how warm was it bob ? .....and secondly , hasn't a lesson learned .

Far warmer in Olympic and other CG marathons. 

On 4/13/2018 at 21:19, Sandgroper said:

Failed to come close? There was 9 gold medals in it at the end of the 2014 games? There's currently 34 xD I know that will change over the closing days though.

Scotland were hosts and going on the theory the hosts do well they didn't actually do that well they did better on the GC xD

Maybe you should have checked first!!

Scotland  2014 19 15 19 53
Scotland 2018 9 13 22 44

On Friday, April 06, 2018 at 20:39, Bulya said:

Natives will do nothing in the athletics etc.  World champ Sally Pearson just withdrew and many of the others left athletics, hockey, netball etc for AFLW, for good reason.  Expect England to easily top medal tally as of course they should with their population 

Ever wished you could go back in time and change a post Bulya?.

I really enjoyed the games. Me and the wife love watching all types of sport and we watched as much as we could. 

Thought the games went really well with some brilliant performances. Does a lot to bring realisation that the commonwealth is still alive and well and all nationalities have a lot more in common than differences. It was good to watch.

Bit disappointed in not seeing squash featured a bit more. It's not a great TV sport I know but there were enough hours and channels to show it. I didn't want to watch it on an app when we have a good big TV screen. 

I'm not into opening or closing ceremonies but caught the last 15 minutes of the closing last night. Said to the wife must be a man free zone after seeing about 4 female acts on the trot with female backing bands. Wife just said I was thinking that myself.

Cut to the channel 7 presenters who were livid and gave it a real serve. Great that they didn't hold back. Hope they don't get into trouble for it.

Apart from that, brilliant.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Be a great opportunity to tidy Brum and some surrounding areas up a lot bunbury. Gold Coast was OK before they got the games but the amount of money thrown at it was unbelievable. 

I guess the money will be found somewhere. Did a great favour for Manchester when they got it. Can even swim in the old Manchester ship canal now.

12 hours ago, bunbury61 said:

Can't rush over and help otherwise he's disqualified. He could have recovered and won a gold given a minute. It's not unusual for athetes to collapse and be taken to hospital during marathons and other long races. The athletes train hard and they would have known there was a chance of it being hot. The guy was leading and obviously just pushed himself too hard. The people stood there taking photos should be ashamed but that's just a reflection on society in general. Reach for the phone camera no matter what's happening.

• Like 1