Brisbane

Nandini Millar

Hello, we are thinking to move to Brisbane but some of my friends who lives in Sydney has been telling me that Brisbane is too hot. I live in England now and near Manchester which is mostly wet and cold all year round. I was wondering whether it would be a shock to us esp my 2 small kids who are 3 and 5. We wanted to be in sunny and warm place that's why we chose Brisbane but never visited before so we are just doing guessing game of the weather with help from Google regarding weather. Thank you all already [emoji4]

Hi 

We moved from Manchester to Brisbane 11 years ago  with 2 kids who at the time were  3 and 8, we have no regrets yet. Yes it gets hot but ive only found a small handful of days eac year be unbearbaly hot and you can't do much,. Temperatures also vary across the Brisbane suburbs which is a bit weird and If your near the coast you get the added bonus of a coastal breeze.  We only had air con fitted last year ,prior t that we managed adequately with ceiling fans however make sure your car has good air con as that is a necessaty.

On the flip side July and August are normally a bit cold,especially at night,, so dont do what i did and leave your winter stuff behind,lol, i wear jeans and hoodies all through winter although hubbys stays in shorts he still wears a jumper.

Good luck with everything and i hope this helps a bit

Cal x

• Like 2

We moved to Brisbane in 1988.  It is HOT!! and very humid.  Especially this summer.  It actually feels like it is never going to end.  We live on the bay so it is a little cooler than inner suburbs.  This summer seems to have been a lot hotter than previous summers.  We have had the AC on almost non stop.  Unfortunately we are in a rental house that does not have fly screens on the windows too so we are unable to have the windows open to allow a through breeze.  You do adjust to the weather.  When we first arrived it was in November.  It was such a shock to our system coming from Scotland where it was snowing to 35 degree heat haha  Saying that... we are moving back home next year as we are sick of the heat.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Nandini Millar said:

Hello, we are thinking to move to Brisbane but some of my friends who lives in Sydney has been telling me that Brisbane is too hot. I live in England now and near Manchester which is mostly wet and cold all year round. I was wondering whether it would be a shock to us esp my 2 small kids who are 3 and 5. We wanted to be in sunny and warm place that's why we chose Brisbane but never visited before so we are just doing guessing game of the weather with help from Google regarding weather. Thank you all already emoji4.png

Wouldn’t worry too much about the kids and climate.  They adjust more easily than adults, hot or cold.

This past 2 months has been exceptionally wet and humid.  I love living here but bear in mind the temperatures don’t tell the full story.  When it gets very humid here and the breeze disappears (as it does on many summer evenings) 26C can feel unbearable.  April to December though is pretty spectacular.  Warm, sunny and rarely humid.  Nights and early mornings are cold though from July to September because of the clear skies (4-6C minimums not uncommon where I live semi-rural) but inner suburbs a few degrees up on that.

Hi 
 We moved from Manchester to Brisbane 11 years ago  with 2 kids who at the time were  3 and 8, we have no regrets yet. Yes it gets hot but ive only found a small handful of days eac year be unbearbaly hot and you can't do much,. Temperatures also vary across the Brisbane suburbs which is a bit weird and If your near the coast you get the added bonus of a coastal breeze.  We only had air con fitted last year ,prior t that we managed adequately with ceiling fans however make sure your car has good air con as that is a necessaty.
On the flip side July and August are normally a bit cold,especially at night,, so dont do what i did and leave your winter stuff behind,lol, i wear jeans and hoodies all through winter although hubbys stays in shorts he still wears a jumper.
Good luck with everything and i hope this helps a bit
   Cal x
Thank you so much and it did helped me a lot to understand better. Sounds like we need to look for properties near the coastal areas and I will bring my winter clothes too thank you for the advice. Need to do some research on kids school too. Too many things to sort out haha x

2 minutes ago, Nandini Millar said:
9 hours ago, calNgary said:
Hi 
 We moved from Manchester to Brisbane 11 years ago  with 2 kids who at the time were  3 and 8, we have no regrets yet. Yes it gets hot but ive only found a small handful of days eac year be unbearbaly hot a

Thank you so much and it did helped me a lot to understand better. Sounds like we need to look for properties near the coastal areas and I will bring my winter clothes too thank you for the advice. Need to do some research on kids school too. Too many things to sort out haha x

You'll notice that not everyone agrees with calNgary.  Everyone feels differently about the heat.  

I don't think you should worry so much about the children because children adapt much better than grown-ups.  However the grown-ups might be like calNgary, or they might be like TazG.  

I used to live in Sydney.  Like your friends in Sydney, I could never, ever move to Queensland because I can't cope in the summer. It's not the heat, it's the high humidity, which makes a hot day feel unbearable. But that is me - some people enjoy that heat.   

If you have a choice of where to go in Australia and you just want somewhere that's "nice and sunny"- everywhere in Australia is "nice and sunny" compared to the UK.  

• Like 1

We moved to Brisbane in 1988.  It is HOT!! and very humid.  Especially this summer.  It actually feels like it is never going to end.  We live on the bay so it is a little cooler than inner suburbs.  This summer seems to have been a lot hotter than previous summers.  We have had the AC on almost non stop.  Unfortunately we are in a rental house that does not have fly screens on the windows too so we are unable to have the windows open to allow a through breeze.  You do adjust to the weather.  When we first arrived it was in November.  It was such a shock to our system coming from Scotland where it was snowing to 35 degree heat haha  Saying that... we are moving back home next year as we are sick of the heat.
I can imagine moving to Brisbane from Scotland such a vast difference. We will be camping at Loch Ness in may. It is still very cold here and we were all worried about a snowfall call beast from the east during easter even calling it white easter but luckily it didn't happen in our area. We are getting fed up of the cold in here haha. Will need to consider coastal area in Brisbane as it sounds better. I don't like humid though don't know what to do about it. I bet you cant wait to feel some cold weather and me some warmth haha. Thank you for your reply x

You'll notice that not everyone agrees with calNgary.  Everyone feels differently about the heat.  
I don't think you should worry so much about the children because children adapt much better than grown-ups.  However the grown-ups might be like calNgary, or they might be like TazG.  
I used to live in Sydney.  Like your friends in Sydney, I could never, ever move to Queensland because I can't cope in the summer. It's not the heat, it's the high humidity, which makes a hot day feel unbearable. But that is me - some people enjoy that heat.   
If you have a choice of where to go in Australia and you just want somewhere that's "nice and sunny"- everywhere in Australia is "nice and sunny" compared to the UK.  
Yes very true all we want is somewhere nice and sunny. We seen the sun about 2 weeks ago for one day and very briefly haha. I grew up in India but after being here for about 15 years I got acclimatised to cold weather maybe I will turn back to hot weather again. How long does the hot humid days last over there? Is it only during summer? Also if we air-condition our house would that help? Thank you x

1 hour ago, Nandini Millar said:
1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

Yes very true all we want is somewhere nice and sunny. We seen the sun about 2 weeks ago for one day and very briefly haha. I grew up in India but after being here for about 15 years I got acclimatised to cold weather maybe I will turn back to hot weather again. How long does the hot humid days last over there? Is it only during summer? Also if we air-condition our house would that help? Thank you x

Yes, it's only during summer.  Again, it depends on your own reaction to heat.  calNgary says it's only bad for a few days. Personally, I find the heat and humidity in Queensland unpleasant from December to March.   

Frankly, if you are worried about snakes, creepy crawlies and heat, then you should consider another state.  The further south in Australia you go, the less snakes there are, the less creepy crawlies there are, and the less humidity there is.  Yet compared to the UK, the summers are warm and sunny.  What kind of jobs are you looking for?

• Like 2

Yes, it's only during summer.  Again, it depends on your own reaction to heat.  calNgary says it's only bad for a few days. Personally, I find the heat and humidity in Queensland unpleasant from December to March.   
Frankly, if you are worried about snakes, creepy crawlies and heat, then you should consider another state.  The further south in Australia you go, the less snakes there are, the less creepy crawlies there are, and the less humidity there is.  Yet compared to the UK, the summers are warm and sunny.  What kind of jobs are you looking for?
My husband is an IT professional. Which places in South is good. I will have a look at it. Thank you for the insight. I am extremely scared of snakes eeww. I can't stand it hehe.

Just now, Nandini Millar said:
6 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

My husband is an IT professional. Which places in South is good. I will have a look at it. Thank you for the insight. I am extremely scared of snakes eeww. I can't stand it hehe.

I don't think you should worry about snakes.  I have lived in Australia for over 30 years and I have only seen three snakes.  Two were out in the countryside.  The only one I saw in a town was in Noosa, in Queensland.

• Like 1

I don't think you should worry about snakes.  I have lived in Australia for over 30 years and I have only seen three snakes.  Two were out in the countryside.  The only one I saw in a town was in Noosa, in Queensland.
Wow only 3 snakes in 30 years that's a lot of relief. It's the media that scared me then haha. Thank you [emoji4]

Yes, but I do not live in Queensland.  
Haha I am sure I will be ok. I will go for first aid course and buy all kinds of pest control spray or anything like it hehe. I am thinking to attend classes on how to identify and understand snakes. It might help me be a bit more confident [emoji3]
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nandini Millar said:

Haha I am sure I will be ok. I will go for first aid course and buy all kinds of pest control spray or anything like it hehe. I am thinking to attend classes on how to identify and understand snakes. It might help me be a bit more confident emoji3.png

My sons first school teacher gave him a list of all the dodgy snakes and spiders found in this area when he started school.We found it a great help, maybe you can find something similar on line ,but reading to much will make you over think too, so its a catch 22,lol. TBH if it came to it, i think i could deal with a snake (better than my hubby anyway,lol), its spiders that ceep me out the most, i am loads better than i was a few years ago and can squat one if i've no other choice ,lol .

First aid courses are also quite common over here and held just about anywhere, they teach you what to do if the worst did happen, its good to attend one ,even for drowning advice as we do spend more time in the water over here. 

Cal x

• Like 1

I lhave lived on The Sunshine Coast for 15 years, have seen 3 snakes in the garden in all that time and they were harmless tree snakes, but they are around. My son has seen more in a Brisbane suburb though than here, mostly smallish! pythons, but the neighbors did have chickens for a while which attracts them, and tree snakes.

Havent heard of anyone I know ever having been bitten by a snake, so don't worry too much. 

Edited by ramot
  • Like 1

I lhave lived on The Sunshine Coast for 15 years, have seen 3 snakes in the garden in all that time and they were harmless tree snakes, but they are around. My son has seen more in a Brisbane suburb though than here, mostly smallish pythons and tree snakes.
Havent heard of anyone I know ever having been bitten by a snake, so don't worry too much. 
Wow pythons too only seen them in zoos. I need to know how to identify so I don't get super worried whenever I spot one. Good to know you haven't heard of anyone who has been bitten by a snake. Thank you for your reply [emoji4]
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, calNgary said:

My sons first school teacher gave him a list of all the dodgy snakes and spiders found in this area when he started school.We found it a great help, maybe you can find something similar on line ,but reading to much will make you over think too, so its a catch 22,lol. TBH if it came to it, i think i could deal with a snake (better than my hubby anyway,lol), its spiders that ceep me out the most, i am loads better than i was a few years ago and can squat one if i've no other choice ,lol .

First aid courses are also quite common over here and held just about anywhere, they teach you what to do if the worst did happen, its good to attend one ,even for drowning advice as we do spend more time in the water over here. 

Cal x

yes i think that a great if the school does all that and it made me laugh that u could squat one if needed. I need to grow up to that confidence haha. Yes definitely going for all kinds of first aid course haha. Snake bites drowning snake phobia spiders chasing haha. its too exciting thinking of a new life but scary too :-)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TazG said:

It's odd how people react differently; we live on the bay also and have barely run the AC this past summer, and don't find any issue with humidity.  I was in Singapore last week with work and the humidity there was stifling and couldn't cope with that so appreciate how it feels if it affects you.

I didn't expect to acclimatise quickly but for us it seemed to work well as we have only been here 18 months and enjoying the heat - so much so that bigger emphasis is now on managing UV exposure ;) (and irrelevant of how you feel about heat that is a must in QLD)

2 hours ago, Nandini Millar said:

Wow pythons too only seen them in zoos. I need to know how to identify so I don't get super worried whenever I spot one. Good to know you haven't heard of anyone who has been bitten by a snake. Thank you for your reply emoji4.png

In 18 months have seen 2 snakes; a brown python in a tree by a bike path and then a sea snake in Noosa.  Snakes weren't interested in me, I didn't poke them and we all went about our business.  Hardest part is making sure my little kids know not to touch spiders!!

• Like 1

In 18 months have seen 2 snakes; a brown python in a tree by a bike path and then a sea snake in Noosa.  Snakes weren't interested in me, I didn't poke them and we all went about our business.  Hardest part is making sure my little kids know not to touch spiders!!
Wow it's good to know if we don't bother them or don't scream or try to get rid of them it's fine. So maybe I should just think of them as any other animals which I like such as squirrels or cats or dogs hehe [emoji16] I need to teach my kids about all these esp creepy crawlies.

1 minute ago, Nandini Millar said:

Wow it's good to know if we don't bother them or don't scream or try to get rid of them it's fine. So maybe I should just think of them as any other animals which I like such as squirrels or cats or dogs hehe emoji16.png I need to teach my kids about all these esp creepy crawlies.

Almost everything will try and steer clear of you; snorkelling I saw a reef shark and not sure which of us tried to swim away quickest! 

To my knowledge the biggest exception to that rule of thumb would be saltwater crocodiles.  Always stay out of their way.

• Like 1

Almost everything will try and steer clear of you; snorkelling I saw a reef shark and not sure which of us tried to swim away quickest! 
To my knowledge the biggest exception to that rule of thumb would be saltwater crocodiles.  Always stay out of their way.
Wowwww crocodiles too omg. Where do you find them? I will avoid such places always. If I do see one I will run for my dear life as fast as I can [emoji23]

You rarely see snakes.  We have had two in our house... but they were baby green snakes.  Not poisonous.  We lived out west for a while and the average day was around 40 degrees and we had snakes galore!!  My biggest issue with Brissie is as I said the humidity atm.  Winter is awesome here! I love the cool crisp mornings.

• Like 1

You rarely see snakes.  We have had two in our house... but they were baby green snakes.  Not poisonous.  We lived out west for a while and the average day was around 40 degrees and we had snakes galore!!  My biggest issue with Brissie is as I said the humidity atm.  Winter is awesome here! I love the cool crisp mornings.
That's good news. Looks like not everyone has seen lots of snakes near them. They all seem to be where there are long grasses and thick bushes. Would love to enjoy a nice winter. In here it's chilly winter most of the time and is not the nice ones. Thank you for your reply.