Creepy crawlies

Nandini Millar

Nandini I am totally scared of snakes.  I have been here nearly 37 years and haven't come across one yet.  I know they are around but most of them are shy and will slither away when you approach them.  I wear boots when walking away from the town and keep my dog on a lead as he would tackle one if he found one.  :err:  I've never lived in Qld though.

• Like 1

Nandini I am totally scared of snakes.  I have been here nearly 37 years and haven't come across one yet.  I know they are around but most of them are shy and will slither away when you approach them.  I wear boots when walking away from the town and keep my dog on a lead as he would tackle one if he found one.  :err:  I've never lived in Qld though.
Wow 37 years and not seen one that's so good. I wish I could be like that. I have been thinking to have a cat and a dog too but worried how they would react when they encounter snakes. Good to know snakes are shy creatures. I need to learn about them so I could understand them better.

13 hours ago, Nandini Millar said:

goshh. what would work? i need something that will work 

There's no one thing which will keep snakes away.  Firstly, remember that not all snakes in Queensland are venomous...so you will need to learn which ones you don't need to worry about and which ones you do.  As others have said,  keep the garden tidy....grass trimmed,   bushes trimmed at the base so you can see exactly what is underneath,  no piles of rocks or timber or anything lying around which they can hide under.  Have fly wire screens over windows and doors so that nothing can crawl in even if the window/door is open for ventilation.    Always  walk in a clear space....ie. don't walk through long grass or jump over  logs without seeing where your feet will be landing.  This is important to teach children.   If the weather is dry snakes will be attracted to water so don't leave pets' water bowls outside.   Most areas have a reptile catching organisation.  Once you know where you will be living you can put their number on speed dial in your phone....and they will come and rescue you (and the snake) if you ever need it.  :)

PS:  Cats and dogs  should be kept away from snakes.  The cat/dog usually comes off worst.

Edited by Skani
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's no one thing which will keep snakes away.  Firstly, remember that not all snakes in Queensland are venomous...so you will need to learn which ones you don't need to worry about and which ones you do.  As others have said,  keep the garden tidy....grass trimmed,   bushes trimmed at the base so you can see exactly what is underneath,  no piles of rocks or timber or anything lying around which they can hide under.  Have fly wire screens over windows and doors so that nothing can crawl in even if the window/door is open for ventilation.    Always  walk in a clear space....ie. don't walk through long grass or jump over  logs without seeing where your feet will be landing.  This is important to teach children.   If the weather is dry snakes will be attracted to water so don't leave pets' water bowls outside.   Most areas have a reptile catching organisation.  Once you know where you will be living you can put their number on speed dial in your phone....and they will come and rescue you (and the snake) if you ever need it.  [emoji4]
PS:  Cats and dogs  should be kept away from snakes.  The cat/dog usually comes off worst.
Thank you so much for your tips and advice. I will remember and use it all the time. Definitely going to learn more about them crawlies a lot. Snake catchers number will be on my no.1 speed dial as soon as I get there. I may have to postpone or cancel my pet plans but let me see. Thank you so much [emoji4]

All good advice as far as I can tell we lived for 10 years in Suburban Perth never saw one snake and very few redbacks (plenty of other spiders though) and then 12 years on a farm in the bush (Near Denmark) we saw quite a few snakes then but never had a problem really even though we lived near a wet area with lots of frogs (snakes like frogs).

One scary moment had me go flying off the ride on mower when I ran over a large Tiger snake, I expected him to be wrapped in the mechanisum but he must have ducked as when I looked later there wasn't a sign of him. 

I did get bitten by a white tail spider and that meant a small dead area on my foot for several years (all gone now). If you are sensible you won't have a problem though I was particularly unlucky and in 22 years not at all bad really.

We are heading back to QLD soon might see you there...

• Like 2

All good advice as far as I can tell we lived for 10 years in Suburban Perth never saw one snake and very few redbacks (plenty of other spiders though) and then 12 years on a farm in the bush (Near Denmark) we saw quite a few snakes then but never had a problem really even though we lived near a wet area with lots of frogs (snakes like frogs).
One scary moment had me go flying off the ride on mower when I ran over a large Tiger snake, I expected him to be wrapped in the mechanisum but he must have ducked as when I looked later there wasn't a sign of him. 
I did get bitten by a white tail spider and that meant a small dead area on my foot for several years (all gone now). If you are sensible you won't have a problem though I was particularly unlucky and in 22 years not at all bad really.
We are heading back to QLD soon might see you there...

Wow so you have seen more snakes in Denmark!!! Yes I feel so much more calmer now as everyone has been telling me how to be careful and how to minimise them in my garden. I feel better and a bit ready now. Never knew what would happen if a spider venomous or non venomous spider bit me. I have never seen a spider close enough to bit me. It's a mystery. I need to Google it [emoji52]

• 1 month later...

Hello. I would not be over worrying about this. I have lived in Australia since 1994 and in all that time, I have seen less than ten snakes. And they have all been outside. Snakes like to hang out in long grass near creeks, so avoid tramping around in those areas. You will see more snakes if you live in the country (bush), than you would in the city and surrounding suburbs......?Although probably a good idea for you to stay away from the Brisbane Snake Catchers Facebook page - that is likely to give anyone the heebeejeebees.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/05/2018 at 23:47, Tootsie said:

Hello. I would not be over worrying about this. I have lived in Australia since 1994 and in all that time, I have seen less than ten snakes. And they have all been outside. Snakes like to hang out in long grass near creeks, so avoid tramping around in those areas. You will see more snakes if you live in the country (bush), than you would in the city and surrounding suburbs......?Although probably a good idea for you to stay away from the Brisbane Snake Catchers Facebook page - that is likely to give anyone the heebeejeebees.

thank u and actually i feel a lot better now regarding new life in Australia. I will stay away from Brisbane catchers Facebook page though haha :-)

• Haha 1