Creepy crawlies

Nandini Millar

Hi all, we are looking forward to move to Brisbane and hopefully things goes to our favour. I am scared of creepy crawlies esp snakes. Are the snakes problem really bad in Brisbane and how are they viewed in other places. Are they everywhere? Also what can we do to snake proof our house, garden etc. Also I am thinking to go for a first aid course with more emphasis on snakebite. I have 2 small kids 5 yr old girl and 3yr old boy and they would love to play outdoors.

My husband is British and doesn't seem to be scared of coming across snakes or maybe he is just ignorant of them hehe. I grew up in India and I know how dangerous they are. What do Australians do to protect their families? Thank you all already for stopping and replying to my concern [emoji4]

Hi and welcome. 

Dont over worry about it. The majority of Australians who live in cities have never seen a snake. You are only likely to see one in the outer parts of cities or areas such as large parks with lots of other wildlife. 

Even in more bush land areas, you are unlikely to see them, the only thing you need to do is not walk through long grass in more bush type areas. 

• Like 1

Hi and welcome. 
Dont over worry about it. The majority of Australians who live in cities have never seen a snake. You are only likely to see one in the outer parts of cities or areas such as large parks with lots of other wildlife. 
Even in more bush land areas, you are unlikely to see them, the only thing you need to do is not walk through long grass in more bush type areas. 
Thank you for the confidence. Yes we will try to avoid long grasses and bushes. I love gardening but will be careful not to have thick shrubs as I worry too much. Don't want any snakes saying hello to me [emoji16]

Don’t worry, they’re not prolific in suburbia which is likely where you’ll be living. You’re more likely to get spiders but somehow the kids seem to grow up knowing not to pet them. There are the odd ants that give nasty bites as well.

• Like 1

Don’t worry, they’re not prolific in suburbia which is likely where you’ll be living. You’re more likely to get spiders but somehow the kids seem to grow up knowing not to pet them. There are the odd ants that give nasty bites as well.
Yes I heard a lot about spiders and ants too. I hope I am bit ok with them unless I see a ginormous spider size of a plate coming down from anywhere. That will scare the hell out of me.

Ther is a good chance of seeing a fair few large spiders such the huntsman. Very common and also harmless. In fact once you get used to them, people are happy to have them around. 
Thank you. I just googled it and checked the size and it's quite massive but knowing that it is harmless make me feel better. I will try to keep my cool when I encounter one for the first time [emoji4]

Yes we have a large huntsman in the house at the moment.  He hides most of the time then manages to come out to make me jump when and where I least expect!  Since we have had a few big white tips around he is more than welcome and not seen any recently!

I can understand your concern and you are right to be cautious but more people are killed by trees here than snakes or spiders.  We are semi rural and the neighbours have chooks, I always garden with gloves and long sleeves and don’t poke my hand in dense foliage without rattling it first as I have seen the odd snake.  Not frightened (we used to have a pet snake) but sensible.

• Like 1

I think reading about them freaks you out more, i know it did for me,lol.

I live on acreage backing onto bushland and have seen very few snakes. A good pest spray will keep most spiders and crawlie things etc out of your house so i really wouldn't worry too much. (Easy for me to say now but 11 years ago i was just the same as you,lol).

Cal x

• Like 1

I think reading about them freaks you out more, i know it did for me,lol.
I live on acreage backing onto bushland and have seen very few snakes. A good pest spray will keep most spiders and crawlie things etc out of your house so i really wouldn't worry too much. (Easy for me to say now but 11 years ago i was just the same as you,lol).
Cal x
Haha I know I read too much and have even seen so much on YouTube about snakes on the other side of windshield of the car opposite to the driver haha. It will kill me if that happen to me [emoji23][emoji23] I think I will be getting loads of pest spray a lot. I even asked my husband whether snake bite vaccine is available haha x
  • Haha 1

Three years in Aus. A dozen orange trees. Goodness know how many capsicum and chilli plants... haven't even seen a huntsman.
Melbourne is tame [emoji6]
Wow that's really good. I love gardening but I was worried whether I would be inviting creepy crawlies when I do there hehe. Scared but still exciting too [emoji16]

7 minutes ago, CeltInCaulfield said:

Here you go.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-22/deadly-tiger-snake-stops-traffic-in-central-melbourne/9474864?pfmredir=sm

Nothing to worry about!

wowwww wowww wowwww omg and the snake catcher is even smiling. I can see myself ringing them up everytime i hear a hustling noise in my garden or house haha