Electrical A Licence

Hi

I’m sure this topic will have been raised plenty of times before but the only posts I see are pretty dated. Here goes, we (me and family) are coming to Australia  in September. I am an Electrician and hold a OTSR Level 3 Cert. My understanding is that this Cert entitles me to a restricted licence from Energy Safety, BUT, just how hard is it to actually get an employer to take on someone with a restricted licence?

Can anything like Theory tests be done from the UK before arriving?

Anyone with any up to date information will be appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Antony Chinnock

That’s my big concern at the moment as well.  In fact I posted pretty much the same on another thread last hoping to get some positive stories.  I know the down under centre now offer the theory to the gap training whilst in the U.K but the cost seems higher than doing it in Aus. Looks like you need to be aware of the timescales too as they say it must be completed within 12 months including a practical exam that is done in Brisbane. Before spending the money make sure you have a clear moving date in mind. Saying that, there seem to be a  lot of sparks doing the course with them and they have a Facebook to share experience and issues with the theory. Then there’s the -2 months of e profiling - where does it end !!!

a lot of sparks make the move so it certainly must be possible to get work.  They are probably too busy enjoying their new surroundings to come back here 

As with everything you get out what you put in and employers will recognise that. 

Good luck with everything. 

Hi Thanks.

I am just looking at my paperwork from Vetassess and it details what is required when we get to Aus, and also lists some helpful website links which I didn’t realise I had until my agent told me. I agree with you that there are plenty of us sparkies making the move so it’s possible (that’s me picking the positives out of it).
I agree with you, you get out what you put in.
Thanks for your input and all the best!

• 2 months later...

I know a few members have thrown this out there already but it is possible to get a NZ electrical license and then have it transferred by mutual recognition. As I say a few have said but have any actually done it ? In theory it looks a very cost effective option but if it were really that easy I’m sure all would be doing it. 

• 8 months later...
On 29/03/2018 at 19:33, Antony Chinnock said:

Hi

I’m sure this topic will have been raised plenty of times before but the only posts I see are pretty dated. Here goes, we (me and family) are coming to Australia  in September. I am an Electrician and hold a OTSR Level 3 Cert. My understanding is that this Cert entitles me to a restricted licence from Energy Safety, BUT, just how hard is it to actually get an employer to take on someone with a restricted licence?

Can anything like Theory tests be done from the UK before arriving?

Anyone with any up to date information will be appreciated.

Thanks

in victoria ESV don't like giving out restricted licenses this type of license is mainly for disconnect & reconnect of appliances only. i have heard of some companies employing electricians from the Uk without the required license, but its illegal & the companies are Not allowed to let any person who has NO full license work alone. its a minefield to be honest bu Energy safe Vic suggest to any electricians to do the full A grade unrestricted license, once you have that you can work for a company then if you intend to work for yourself you must then do another course the electrical contractors course. this is for people running there own business & you can then legally quote for work.

so 1st get the A grade license. 2nd electrical contractors license (if self employed) 3rd once this has been completed you must get business insurance then you can quote for work for your business.

once you have done all that you can do quotes for people or companies, the every job you do you must provide a certificate of electrical safety for every job if you do a job on the day & completed you do the cert then if your called back the day after for more work you then are obligated to provide another cert of safety so on it goes there are 2 x different types of certs so if you want anymore info please email me.

arthur in Melbourne