Jump to content

You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

J-J

Investing In Business

    Recommended Posts

    Hi all

    I am asking this question for some friends who are a couple. 

    They own successful Bars over in the UK but would like to set one up in Australia.

    The grand plan is that Myself and my partner (who by then will hopefully be settled in Australia) will go into business with them in equal shares and get the business up and running.

    I have trawled the various websites and it seems a bit vague as to what visa they would be looking at if they have an invested interest in Australia or if there even is a visa that they could apply for and more importantly get granted. 

    Any help greatly appreciated. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    There is a business investor visa but they'll need to have several million dollars to invest.


    Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

    "The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

     

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    58 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

    There is a business investor visa but they'll need to have several million dollars to invest.

    If the partners of the business were to come over and work in the business could they be sponsored through it? Or would they need the specific skills for that  (for example as a chef) ? 

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    They would need specific skills for the business to sponsor them. I would recommend they seek professional advice. 

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    8 hours ago, J-J said:

    If the partners of the business were to come over and work in the business could they be sponsored through it? Or would they need the specific skills for that  (for example as a chef) ? 

     

    If they can't afford a business investor visa, then their only other option is to get a normal visa following the usual eligibility criteria (i.e. having an occupation that's on the list).


    Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

    "The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

     

     

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    It's actually 1.5 million to invest:  http://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/188-

    Based on a cursory scan on the information on the website, it looks like they would be able to apply for a visa as the investors.  Whether they could then sponsor you on an employer-sponsored visa (e.g. the new TSS) is unknown but I would suspect it would be very difficult.

    It's not something I'd suggest they try without first getting professional advice.

    • Like 1

    ____________________________________________________

    186 ENS Temporary Residence Transition - Granted Dec 2013 :biggrin:

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    On 3/27/2018 at 20:03, J-J said:

    Hi all

    I am asking this question for some friends who are a couple. 

    They own successful Bars over in the UK but would like to set one up in Australia.

    The grand plan is that Myself and my partner (who by then will hopefully be settled in Australia) will go into business with them in equal shares and get the business up and running.

    I have trawled the various websites and it seems a bit vague as to what visa they would be looking at if they have an invested interest in Australia or if there even is a visa that they could apply for and more importantly get granted. 

    Any help greatly appreciated. 

    A business visa (188 provisional) under the Business Innovation Stream may be an initial option.

    If they are then involved in an Australian business for two years and meet certain other criteria, they can then apply to covert the visa to Permanent.

    The million dollar investments are only under investment streams and not relevant to the Business Innovation Stream.


    Raul T Senise MARN 0636699

    www.ozimmigration.com

    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

    Share this post


    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now


    ×