Investing In Business

J-J

Hi all

I am asking this question for some friends who are a couple. 

They own successful Bars over in the UK but would like to set one up in Australia.

The grand plan is that Myself and my partner (who by then will hopefully be settled in Australia) will go into business with them in equal shares and get the business up and running.

I have trawled the various websites and it seems a bit vague as to what visa they would be looking at if they have an invested interest in Australia or if there even is a visa that they could apply for and more importantly get granted. 

Any help greatly appreciated. 

58 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

There is a business investor visa but they'll need to have several million dollars to invest.

If the partners of the business were to come over and work in the business could they be sponsored through it? Or would they need the specific skills for that  (for example as a chef) ? 

8 hours ago, J-J said:

If the partners of the business were to come over and work in the business could they be sponsored through it? Or would they need the specific skills for that  (for example as a chef) ? 

If they can't afford a business investor visa, then their only other option is to get a normal visa following the usual eligibility criteria (i.e. having an occupation that's on the list).

It's actually 1.5 million to invest:  http://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/188-

Based on a cursory scan on the information on the website, it looks like they would be able to apply for a visa as the investors.  Whether they could then sponsor you on an employer-sponsored visa (e.g. the new TSS) is unknown but I would suspect it would be very difficult.

It's not something I'd suggest they try without first getting professional advice.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/27/2018 at 20:03, J-J said:

Hi all

I am asking this question for some friends who are a couple. 

They own successful Bars over in the UK but would like to set one up in Australia.

The grand plan is that Myself and my partner (who by then will hopefully be settled in Australia) will go into business with them in equal shares and get the business up and running.

I have trawled the various websites and it seems a bit vague as to what visa they would be looking at if they have an invested interest in Australia or if there even is a visa that they could apply for and more importantly get granted. 

Any help greatly appreciated. 

A business visa (188 provisional) under the Business Innovation Stream may be an initial option.

If they are then involved in an Australian business for two years and meet certain other criteria, they can then apply to covert the visa to Permanent.

The million dollar investments are only under investment streams and not relevant to the Business Innovation Stream.

• 2 months later...

U shud have aud 800,000 before applying and then check every state requirement 

For example you should meet 2 out of 3 main conditions for DHA and some other.  Its easy and do not hire shady agents for it

Just 188 provisional business visa on google. Just follow the eligibility criteria and apply.  

On 27/03/2018 at 23:14, Marisawright said:

There is a business investor visa but they'll need to have several million dollars to invest.

No, they don't.

As Raul has said, a visa under the Business Innovation stream of subclass 188 may be the way to go, if they are already operating a business at the required level, and have sufficient net assets (not "several millions").

Best regards.

• Like 1