Moving dogs to Australia - help

Cameron2310

Hi guys,

I'm planning on flying my dogs over at the end of the year. I looked at the  agriculture.gov.au site at time lines to visit the vet etc. It says you need to get a vet to write a note to confirm what you'e done at each appointment, ie to confirm they scanned for microchip and vaccinated against rabies, my vet said he doesn't need to give me a note as everything will be logged on the computer, did anyone else get their vet to write a letter each time they visited the VET?

My next question is, one of my dogs is 9, I'm taking her for a pet mot to make sure she' healthy to fly. Does anyone have any stories of flying senior dogs over to Australia and if so, how did it GO?

Thanks 

Edited by Cameron2310

Hi,

Maybe contact one of the pet shippers for advice? I can't remember exactly what was needed when we brought our dog over, as it was a few years ago. We used Golden Arrow, who were really good and advised of what needed to be done at each stage. There's quite a lot involved in shipping a dog! and it's extremely expensive. I notice in another post you are planning on coming out on a WHV, so wonder if it's worth bringing 2 dogs just for a year, two at the most and then have to pay to ship them back again? Could easily cost you $20,000 for both dogs depending on their size. My staffie cost around $5,000 one way from the UK. As @Marisawright advised in your other post, a WHV isn't a permanent visa and no guarantee to stay.

• Thanks 1

Just make extra sure the agent is MARA registered.  There are some excellent agents on this forum but there are plenty of shonky ones out there, unfortunately, who will tell you what you want to hear.

It would be interesting to ask the agent what he thinks your chances are in percentage terms.  You wouldn't want to put your dogs through the whole transport process if there was, say, only a 30% chance of success.

Edited by Marisawright
  • Thanks 1

I'd check everything with a pet shipper and get quotes for shipping etc if you've not done so already. Its a big expense and you need to ensure you are doing everything properly re shipping your dogs. 

Have you gotten quotes etc from any pet shippers as they are very helpful with the process and what you will need to get done etc. Also quarantine costs and stay etc. And then shipping dogs onto your destination from Melbourne (unless that is where you will be located anyways). 

Also, keep in mind rentals with dogs. You'll need to do some research and so on to ensure you are up to speed with rentals in the area you are looking to live etc. 

Hi Cameron

Age is just a number! If your dog is fit healthy and well, then 9 is not that old really, but getting an "MOT" from your vets is a good idea. We have flown dogs much older than 9. It also depends on what breed your dog is - 9 is old for a Great Dane, but middle aged for a terrier.

You need to start the rabies work now for a flight at the end of the year. Check out our web site www.petairuk.com and click destinations and you will find an article about flying dogs to Australia. Your dog needs a chip and a rabies vaccination and then 3-4 weeks later a rabies blood sample and then they can fly 180 days at least after that. Either you can arrange the vet work pre travel or your pet shipper can help. Petair UK helps a lot, other pet shippers help less - so you get what you pay for!

Anything else just let us know

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Just make extra sure the agent is MARA registered.  There are some excellent agents on this forum but there are plenty of shonky ones out there, unfortunately, who will tell you what you want to hear.

It would be interesting to ask the agent what he thinks your chances are in percentage terms.  You wouldn't want to put your dogs through the whole transport process if there was, say, only a 30% chance of success.

Thanks but I'm happy with the agent I'm dealing with as I know people who have used him before. Like I stated in the other post he does have a sponsorship offer however we will go over apply for a visa from there as we are getting his skills assessed, ielts, done the now :)

On 27/03/2018 at 09:56, BobPetairUK said:

Hi Cameron

Age is just a number! If your dog is fit healthy and well, then 9 is not that old really, but getting an "MOT" from your vets is a good idea. We have flown dogs much older than 9. It also depends on what breed your dog is - 9 is old for a Great Dane, but middle aged for a terrier.

You need to start the rabies work now for a flight at the end of the year. Check out our web site www.petairuk.com and click destinations and you will find an article about flying dogs to Australia. Your dog needs a chip and a rabies vaccination and then 3-4 weeks later a rabies blood sample and then they can fly 180 days at least after that. Either you can arrange the vet work pre travel or your pet shipper can help. Petair UK helps a lot, other pet shippers help less - so you get what you pay for!

Anything else just let us know

Hi Bob

I had a look at different companies but feel pet air is the one for my girls. I filled out the online quote form at the weekend so hopefully bear back soon

Thanks 

Sorry, but I would not advise shipping dogs on a WHV. It is what is says on the tin. A holiday visa. Until you have a PR visa in your hand, you have nothing else but a holiday visa and just being eligible today to apply for PR, does not mean you will be tomorrow. There have been massive changes in visas in the last year, many of which were not expected. We know there will be a lot more changes to come as all visa categories are under review and pressure to slash the number of migrants. 

So, at the moment, you are looking at a complex process, many thousands of pounds, time in quarantine and then thousands to bring them back in 12 months. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Cameron2310 said:

Can i ask why? I'm going on a whv. My partner has a sponsorship offer when we get there. We are applying for a visa right now. so what's the issue? 

Employers may offer you a sponsorship "deal" offer but when then time comes and your WHV expires................what have you got? a sponsorship or a broken promise utilised to get you to work for them? They are under no obligation to sponsor once your WHV runs out................and yes.............Aussie employers can be as unscrupulous as those in the Uk when it comes to looking for cheaper labour.

• Like 3

Wow! People are just trying to help.  

We see so many people on this forum coming to grief with employer sponsorships.

It doesn’t hurt to be fully aware of the risks you are taking.  The rules have changed again this month and more and more applications are being refused and many employers are no longer willing to jump through the hoops.

If the sponsorship is for direct entry PR and you are down the path of application already and you have considered all the risks and have a back up plan then good for you.  Many do not and believe the reassurances of employers that it will all be fine and you will have PR in a few years.............................

• Like 4

9 hours ago, rammygirl said:

Wow! People are just trying to help.  

We see so many people on this forum coming to grief with employer sponsorships.

It doesn’t hurt to be fully aware of the risks you are taking.  The rules have changed again this month and more and more applications are being refused and many employers are no longer willing to jump through the hoops.

If the sponsorship is for direct entry PR and you are down the path of application already and you have considered all the risks and have a back up plan then good for you.  Many do not and believe the reassurances of employers that it will all be fine and you will have PR in a few years.............................

This is the thing. I didn't ask for visa help on what visa to get. I made two forums this one and a question about the whv age. At no point did I ask for advice on what visa to take. 

It's all good to sit there and go 'wow, people are just trying to help' I didn't ask for visa help! I was nice enough at the start, without going into detail about it but I don't know why some people think they can give advice on a situation they know nothing about and keep pushing it. Especially when each reply comes; I think it is in relation to someone moving their dog over and it's not.

I asked for stories about people moving their dogs. I signed up to this site as I felt anxious about my dogs and I had another question. Looking for some reassurance about flying dogs, Not have people tell things I know. 

The reason I didn't ask for help is, we trust the person offering him the sponsorship. I just don't want to live in Melbourne - where the offer is.

Thanks again guys. What a friendly site!

Edited by Cameron2310

14 minutes ago, Cameron2310 said:

This is the thing. I didn't ask for visa help on what visa to get. I made two forums this one and a question about the whv age. At no point did I ask for advice on what visa to take. 

It's all good to sit there and go 'wow, people are just trying to help' I didn't ask for visa help! I was nice enough at the start, without going into detail about it but I don't know why some people think they can give advice on a situation they know nothing about 

We do it because, as Rumsfeld said, you don't know what you don't know.  You might be surprised how often people come to this forum to ask the wrong questions, because they don't know the questions they should be asking.  For instance, we often have people come to the forum asking which suburbs to live in, and then when we "push", it turns out they've been offered a temp visa on a low salary and promised, by some shonky agent or employer, that they're guaranteed PR as the reward at the end.  When we tell them it's never, ever guaranteed and the employer's promise has no legal force, they think twice.  In that situation, I think we have a responsibility to express our concerns.

I suspect most of us think you're bonkers to bring your dogs over on a WHV, even if you do think sponsorship is likely.  Visas are never certain, and I feel sorry for the poor dogs if they have to make the return trip in twelve months - but we've all warned you so it's your call.

• Like 1

At the risk of a "kicking" by one side or the other in this post - quite a few people do take pets who only have a working holiday visa. Indeed, we have people who fly their pets for 6 months in Australia and then 6 months back again in UK, and it has been know for cricket players to take their pets over for the length of a tour. It is expensive, but the pets cope with it pretty well.

Key thing Cameron - whatever you do - is get the rabies work started soon as that is the thing which holds people up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BobPetairUK said:

At the risk of a "kicking" by one side or the other in this post - quite a few people do take pets who only have a working holiday visa. Indeed, we have people who fly their pets for 6 months in Australia and then 6 months back again in UK, and it has been know for cricket players to take their pets over for the length of a tour. It is expensive, but the pets cope with it pretty well.

Key thing Cameron - whatever you do - is get the rabies work started soon as that is the thing which holds people up.

It wasn’t the dogs I was concerned about tbh!  I know that people who love their pets will make sure they are OK, I was more concerned that the OP maybe had not appreciated some of the visa issues.  We have seen so many people on here who have been emotionally and financially broken by the promise of employer sponsored visas.  

We all love it when things work out and people beat the odds, unfortunately this is becoming less and less common.  

I really do wish them well and hope it all works out for them and their dogs

• Like 4

9 hours ago, rammygirl said:

It wasn’t the dogs I was concerned about tbh! ... We have seen so many people on here who have been emotionally and financially broken by the promise of employer sponsored visas.  We all love it when things work out and people beat the odds, unfortunately this is becoming less and less common.  

Yes, but actually I'm less worried about Cameron, because he's not uprooting a whole family, it's just the two of them - if it doesn't work out, they're young enough to recover.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/03/2018 at 07:26, Cameron2310 said:

Hi guys,

I'm planning on flying my dogs over at the end of the year. I looked at the  agriculture.gov.au site at time lines to visit the vet etc. It says you need to get a vet to write a note to confirm what you'e done at each appointment, ie to confirm they scanned for microchip and vaccinated against rabies, my vet said he doesn't need to give me a note as everything will be logged on the computer, did anyone else get their vet to write a letter each time they visited the VET?

My next question is, one of my dogs is 9, I'm taking her for a pet mot to make sure she' healthy to fly. Does anyone have any stories of flying senior dogs over to Australia and if so, how did it GO?

Thanks 

You need to follow the Australian guidelines step by step otherwise your dog wont get there ! Your vet is so wrong in what he says Is he a UK government authorised vet if not then anything you have done so far is invalid again you need that little rubber stamp on the documents We had documented proof of everything from microchip desexing etc plus the lab report from the rabies titre test to see if it has taken My advice would be contact a reputable pet shipping company and get some sound advice I tried very hard to follow the rules step by step only to have my vet stuff up and loose our boys final blood test ! Talk about panic we had left the UK he was at the shipping company Golden Arrow who luckily pulled out all the stops got his bloods redone and couriered to the lab so he made his flight Our boy is a  Shar Pei and i was worried over him travelling but he did it fine