Moving back, PR visa advice

Azdent

Hi everyone,

I would appreciate some advice. I moved to Australia on a 190 visa two years ago. I'm moving back to the UK next week. In the two years here, I have spent about 6 weeks overseas in total (at different times).

Someone mentioned to me that you have to live here for two years continuously for the option to have the PR visa extended in case I choose to return. Will my 6 weeks overseas reduce the time I lived here? Is it worth staying back for 6 weeks to gain that time back?

Also, how often does one need to return, in order to ensure that your PR visa isn't cancelled?

Thank you in advance :)

Strictly speaking, your PR visa is never cancelled.  It just becomes useless, because you lose all right to enter Australia.  

If you decide to return in the next five years, you can apply for a RRV (resident return visa).  To be eligible, you must have spent at least 2 years out of the previous 5 years in Australia.   So if you don't have any pressing need to return, it would probably be worth staying the extra 6 weeks.  

10 hours ago, Azdent said:

Also, how often does one need to return, in order to ensure that your PR visa isn't cancelled?

Howso? Are you thinking you can nip back for a holiday now and again and keep it current sort of thing? If so, I'd do some research into that as you'll see what is expected and required re residence and so on. 

Sorry, I missed that bit about "how often do you have to return".   

Your original right to enter Australia will expire 5 years from the date of your original visa, so you'll need to apply for a RRV before then.   

Assuming you stay the extra six weeks so you fulfil the requirements for 2 years residence during the 5 years, it's likely (assuming the rules don't change!), that you'll get a RRV for 5 years. 

On your second RRV the same rules will apply, i.e. you will have to accumulate 2 years' residence in Australia over the 5 years.  It doesn't have to be all in one go, it can be spread over the whole 5 years.  If you meet that requirement, then you should be able to get a third RRV. And so on.  Seems like a lot of effort though!

Edited by Marisawright