Bugger - Mum having a bypass

CeltInCaulfield

Hiya guys,

Bombshell this morning.  Phone call back to Blighty.  Mum went in for routine tests on Wednesday last week, Friday she was up at the Jubilee in Glasgow.  And I find out this morning during a call that she's in line for a triple bypass.

She's young enough that it's (always going to be) a serious issue, but shouldn't be high risk.

Really not sure if I should head back and visit before the operation.  More concerned than anything it would upset her, strange as it sounds.

Anyone on the forum been in a similar position?  All views and opinions on how to handle this would be very gratefully received.

Celt

Sorry to hear about your Mum.  Does she have any other sons/daughters nearer?  It's a very personal decision you have to make.  When is she going into hospital for the bypass?   She would probably be happy to see you once she is recovering from the op as she will need quite a bit of recuperation time.  That's just my opinion though.  You must be very stressed at the moment.  It's awful being so far away. 

To be honest, I'm comfortable leaving it with the medics - they're the best placed to sort it out ;-)  No point in getting overly worked up and anxious over things we can't control.  It's more about just whether or not being there before the op is a good idea.  

My brother's back there, and my dad's still around.  The appointment with the cardiologist to schedule the op is in 2 - 3 weeks.  So there's little urgency as I understand it, which is a good thing (I imagine?  I'm no medic).  It's more preventative from the way she was talking than anything else.

The wife and I are trying to convince the folks to come out here for six months' recuperation after the operation. The climate here's going to be a damn sight better than Scotland for that.  As long as I can get her a full flat bed on the flight, I doubt there'd be much concern about taking the flight.

Bit of an embuggerance, that's a fact.

37 minutes ago, CeltInCaulfield said:

To be honest, I'm comfortable leaving it with the medics - they're the best placed to sort it out ;-)  No point in getting overly worked up and anxious over things we can't control.  It's more about just whether or not being there before the op is a good idea.  

My brother's back there, and my dad's still around.  The appointment with the cardiologist to schedule the op is in 2 - 3 weeks.  So there's little urgency as I understand it, which is a good thing (I imagine?  I'm no medic).  It's more preventative from the way she was talking than anything else.

The wife and I are trying to convince the folks to come out here for six months' recuperation after the operation. The climate here's going to be a damn sight better than Scotland for that.  As long as I can get her a full flat bed on the flight, I doubt there'd be much concern about taking the flight.

Bit of an embuggerance, that's a fact.

I agree with Toots, probably better to go after the op and give your Dad a hand with looking after her unless she particularly wants to see you before. 

I'm not sure how much you know about the surgery but this is quite a good booklet: https://www.heartfoundation.org.au/images/uploads/main/Your_heart/Heart_Bypass.pdf

Sorry to hear that. I wouldn’t plan on her going to Aus to recuperate though, much as it would be lovely. Her travel insurance would be through the roof, if she could get it at all. 

Judging by the bloke next door who had a similar surgery in January, I agree it’s the others, go after the op and lend a hand then. BTW the 82 year old bloke next door is recovering nicely but it’s taking him longer than he hoped it would (although the doctors did tell him!)

Guest The Pom Queen

Could you go the day before the op then you get to see her and tell her you will be waiting for her when she comes out of it. For me that would give me something to push me through. Then maybe spend 2 weeks helping her before flying home.