You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

lewisant48

Employers hesitating to sponsor since 457 to 482 change?

Hi all.

I was recently interviewed for a job with a company offering  sponsorship to successful candidates. It seemed to go really well and i felt there were a few hints towards me being successful (these were interviews for multiple jobs of the same role rather than 1 job available).

I travelled the length of the UK for the interview and they were really thankful for that and made a point that they will 100% call whether it's successful or not. They said they'd call by Thursday or Friday and i'm pretty certain they said next week which would have been there 17th.

I haven't heard from them and i'm hoping i got my weeks mixed up and it's this week as in today but my worry is that the visa changeover on the 18th may be delaying it and putting things in jeopardy. It's not so bad as we can apply for a 489 but we were just kinda hoping to get over on a temporary visa first and experience other parts of the country.

Is any body experiencing similar or do any migration agents think the change would delay things as companies go though all the details with a fine toothed comb?

Personally, if you are eligible for a permanent visa now, I wouldn't risk delaying it. The rules change far too often to risk it.  I've lost count of the number of people who come over on a 457,  only to find that by the time they're ready to apply for PR, the rules have changed and they're no longer eligible - so they have all the expense and upheaval of having to go home. 

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

1 minute ago, Marisawright said:

Personally, if you are eligible for a permanent visa now, I wouldn't risk delaying it. The rules change far too often to risk it.  I've lost count of the number of people who come over on a 457,  only to find that by the time they're ready to apply for PR, the rules have changed and they're no longer eligible - so they have all the expense and upheaval of having to go home. 

It's sound advice!

The introduction of the TSS system will definitely reduce the number of people being sponsored due to the huge increase in costs to employers.

Many employers are still trying to understand the changes as they are extensive.

Raul T Senise

Registered Migration Agent

MARN 0636699

www.ozimmigration.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."

On 3/25/2018 at 21:13, Raul Senise said:

The introduction of the TSS system will definitely reduce the number of people being sponsored due to the huge increase in costs to employers.

Many employers are still trying to understand the changes as they are extensive.

Thanks Raul, i got a reply today so that was good!

On 3/26/2018 at 07:13, Raul Senise said:

The cost increase is quite significant.  My company will still sponsor but I'll be giving management an overview of the costs so we'll likely be more selective in future on which roles we would sponsor.  When I came on my 457 in 2013 I think it would have cost approx. $1500 for the whole thing including SBS, nomination and visa and if I'd had a spouse and 8 children they could have come along at no extra cost.  We're now sponsoring an employee with a spouse and 2 children and I've estimated the cost at $14,000 from nomination through to English test, health checks and migration agent.

One of the big consequences of the cost increases is that companies and immigrants become more cost conscious and opt for DIY applications which can be expensive catastrophes.  Fortunately my company has agreed to go the other route and use the increasing complexities as motivation to use an agent for all applications.

186 ENS Temporary Residence Transition - Granted Dec 2013 :biggrin: