Where do you draw the line? Anyone In a similar boat?

aconcannon

1 hour ago, Marisawright said:

So she can't even manage a short-hop flight?   I must say it does sound like emotional blackmail to me.   As i said before, I think the idea of renting a villa somewhere and offering open-house to anyone who cares to visit, would solve a lot of your problems and give your Mum a nice holiday into the bargain.

My mum had breathing issues flying to the US and had to be put on oxygen, she was advised medically to think very hard before flying again even short-haul, so yes, some people really can't even do short hops if they have certain conditions, nothing to do with emotional blackmail, simply a case of staying alive!

6 minutes ago, Nemesis said:

My mum had breathing issues flying to the US and had to be put on oxygen, she was advised medically to think very hard before flying again even short-haul, so yes, some people really can't even do short hops if they have certain conditions, nothing to do with emotional blackmail, simply a case of staying alive!

Yes, I know some people can't fly for medical reasons, but the OP has never mentioned any specific medical problems and her mother has previously done several long haul flights.

• Like 1

So she can't even manage a short-hop flight?   I must say it does sound like emotional blackmail to me.   As i said before, I think the idea of renting a villa somewhere and offering open-house to anyone who cares to visit, would solve a lot of your problems and give your Mum a nice holiday into the bargain.

You’re definitely right & it is a way of her emotionally blackmailing me. I’ve even suggested meeting in Dubai so she only has to endure a 7 hour flight & it was a no go! If she could drive to somewhere in Europe she’d do that & net is there but then we may as well just fly home if we do that. It’s very frustrating.
  • Like 1

As you get older it becomes harder and harder to even contemplate long flights, sadly.  This is a fact that many of us ( me, too, at the time) choose to ignore  or are simply unaware of. Apart from obvious health issues like blood clots it is very tiring , stressful and flying in cattle class has become progressively worse with seats so close together you are practically breathing down people's necks.  You get stiff when you are older, too!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, starlight7 said:

As you get older it becomes harder and harder to even contemplate long flights, sadly.  This is a fact that many of us ( me, too, at the time) choose to ignore  or are simply unaware of. Apart from obvious health issues like blood clots it is very tiring , stressful and flying in cattle class has become progressively worse with seats so close together you are practically breathing down people's necks.  You get stiff when you are older, too!

We are in our 70's and go to UK every year as do several of our friends, but we don't fly straight through. That's the bonus of being older, we aren't time short, and breaking the journey, even for 24hrs makes a big difference. To be honest our friends are always off somewhere, and cope with long haul.

• Like 2