Hairdresser Skills assessment - Query

Hi, 

I have been on before and asked a similiar question but this is hopefully more specific. 

My wife is a time served Hairdresser here in the UK with 12 years experience.

We are 32 and are now looking into how to get her skills assessed. We are going to attempt this ourselves before getting agents involved as we have been stung before with advise from an agent who in all honesty was more interested in getting my pack in to recieve their payment but thats a different gripe.

Is there anyone here who has completed the skills assessment for Hairdressing in the last few years and has the relevant/ up to date information that we could use to get this started? 

We have an idea of the process through endless searches but it would be such a help if we could round up some specific information. 

Thanks in advance 

Scott 

Hi I have recently done a skills assessment but my agent who has been really good submitted everything for me, it’s not somebody on here as I found this site after I found my agent . But from the top of my head here are some of stuff I sent her - references from previous employer, (I was employed for 10 years) wage slips , (then been self employed for 5) so tax records for last 5 years , references from clients, receipts/ invoices from wholesalers, certificates, self employed template, which I had to fill in giving some clients names and phone numbers, services I offer etc. That was the first part of skilled assessment then I had to do technical interview in London , so I revised for that about the science side of hairdressing- the colour wheel, what the hair is made up of etc, different cutting techniques, different colour techniques, stock in the salon , reception services, making appointments etc. This was all done through vetassess. To be honest I found it all very very stressful getting the info together but the actual technical interview wasn’t to bad . My struggle has been to pass the English test, but I finally got it recently, just had to write a commitment statement as we are doing the 190 visa and get a bit more info together on the Northern Territory. I’m hoping to put my EOI in within a few days . Then the dreaded wait begins.

i hope this has been a little bit helpful x 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Move2oz said:

Hi I have recently done a skills assessment but my agent who has been really good submitted everything for me, it’s not somebody on here as I found this site after I found my agent . But from the top of my head here are some of stuff I sent her - references from previous employer, (I was employed for 10 years) wage slips , (then been self employed for 5) so tax records for last 5 years , references from clients, receipts/ invoices from wholesalers, certificates, self employed template, which I had to fill in giving some clients names and phone numbers, services I offer etc. That was the first part of skilled assessment then I had to do technical interview in London , so I revised for that about the science side of hairdressing- the colour wheel, what the hair is made up of etc, different cutting techniques, different colour techniques, stock in the salon , reception services, making appointments etc. This was all done through vetassess. To be honest I found it all very very stressful getting the info together but the actual technical interview wasn’t to bad . My struggle has been to pass the English test, but I finally got it recently, just had to write a commitment statement as we are doing the 190 visa and get a bit more info together on the Northern Territory. I’m hoping to put my EOI in within a few days . Then the dreaded wait begins.

Hi - My wife is a hairdresser and also submitted similar documents as you have on her full time employment, she was however  lucky to have her vetassess (technical interview ) done over a Skype interview which was brilliant and stress free in the comfort of our home.

She has been sponsored by a hairdresser in the NT and have used a MA from there - We have submitted our visa application for the 187 DE and this was done in Oct 2016 - Yes Oct 2016  We have not heard a thing from immigration since. The current processing time is 17-19 months. Just to fore warn you this is a long long process and lots of patience is needed. Maybe the 190 visa will be quicker - good luck.

9 hours ago, dasinlondon said:

Hi - My wife is a hairdresser and also submitted similar documents as you have on her full time employment, she was however  lucky to have her vetassess (technical interview ) done over a Skype interview which was brilliant and stress free in the comfort of our home.

She has been sponsored by a hairdresser in the NT and have used a MA from there - We have submitted our visa application for the 187 DE and this was done in Oct 2016 - Yes Oct 2016  We have not heard a thing from immigration since. The current processing time is 17-19 months. Just to fore warn you this is a long long process and lots of patience is needed. Maybe the 190 visa will be quicker - good luck.

Hiya , I think it is a more recent thing that you have to go to a centre for technical exam , I’m hoping if we do get invited to apply for NT that our wait won’t be as long , does anyone know the average waiting times for 190 visa hairstylist with 70 points for first the EOI then 2nd the actual wait if we are invited ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Move2oz said:

That really is great information thanks very much. 

If you dont mind me asking more specific questions I will list them below :)

- I have all the downloads from Vetassess and its looks long winded, but clear enough so I am confident I can gather up most of the information, BUT how much visual, video evidence do they want of the actual practice of hairdressing? I read about the perms and various other styles but is there a limit to how much they want/need? I woudl hate to not include enough but also dont want to drown my application with hundreds of pictures and videos. 

- Was the English test required for your skills assessment or is it more to support your points total in order to apply for the 190 visa? Also can I ask what test you sat? I assumed it woudl be the general but my wife thinks it might be the academic test? 

- I am not sure what the commitment statememt is either but it will hopefully be the 190 we are applying for if the skills assessment is successful so I will look into this also. 

I hope you dont mind me asking these questions. 

We are determined that this time we can follow the whole process through and finally get our move. 

Thanks 

Scott 

Hi scott

i will answer the best I can.....

so in regards to evidence, I didn’t upload any videos it was just about 15 before and after pictures of colours cuts and extensions. 

There are compulsory sections that you need to answer in the technical exam, like colours, cuts etc like how you would perform them step by step. Then you have to pick some 3 different sections out of about 8 I think ? 

i picked perming, extensions and stock take.

english test was for points, I did the pte academic 3 times and couldn’t pass on the speaking every time! 

I picked the pte as heard it was easier, so after 3 failed attempts I did the IELTS and got 7 and above in every section which is what I needed so was a big achievement for me ? that was the IELTS general.

the commitment statement is explaining why you want to live in NT and why it would suit you and your family , so basically listing everything from schools, which suberbs you would like to live in , that you have researched the weather, researched job opportunities, hobbies, affordability,just everything to do with living really, etc etc .

yes we are so determined and desperate to get out there, we live in Scotland and it’s been a long winter ❄️ 

hope this has been helpful 

ha ha I feel your pain, we are the outskirts of Glasgow and it feels like we have had a 3 year winter ha ha.

Thats great info again. So you have now passed your skills assessment?

Ive not seen the pte exam but we are thinking ielts.

I sat this last year so can explain whats what to my wife.

I passed that and done all the groundwork but its traspired that i need a degree to back up my trade so we are going to try and get on the strength of hairdressing. 

If possible could you let me know your agent via PM if that suits, as I have said before we got stung before so using one that someone else has used would be great for the Visa process if we can get through the skills assessment. 

Thanks

• 4 months later...
On 22/03/2018 at 11:53, raeside01 said:

Hi, 

I have been on before and asked a similiar question but this is hopefully more specific. 

My wife is a time served Hairdresser here in the UK with 12 years experience.

We are 32 and are now looking into how to get her skills assessed. We are going to attempt this ourselves before getting agents involved as we have been stung before with advise from an agent who in all honesty was more interested in getting my pack in to recieve their payment but thats a different gripe.

Is there anyone here who has completed the skills assessment for Hairdressing in the last few years and has the relevant/ up to date information that we could use to get this started? 

We have an idea of the process through endless searches but it would be such a help if we could round up some specific information. 

Thanks in advance 

Scott 

Hi Scott

There is a thread on here that’s been running a few years, with a lot of infomation on the whole vetesses skills assessment process and detailed lists of the questions they ask for the technical interview. 

It’s a long read but well worth it. See below. 

I did my skills assessment Sept 2017. Submitted visa application in Nov 2017. No news yet.

The wait will be very long unfortunately. 

Good luck. 

Hi Scott
There is a thread on here that’s been running a few years, with a lot of infomation on the whole vetesses skills assessment process and detailed lists of the questions they ask for the technical interview. 
It’s a long read but well worth it. See below. 
I did my skills assessment Sept 2017. Submitted visa application in Nov 2017. No news yet.
The wait will be very long unfortunately. 
Good luck. 

Hi brills33,
It really is a long wait isn’t it, what visa route are you going down and where are you heading in oz? And have you got kids ?
We applied for a 190 but have recently just been offered the 489 instead, but hey it’s a offer we’re not refusing, so we have just got to wait for the grant now

50 minutes ago, Move2oz said:

Hi brills33,
It really is a long wait isn’t it, what visa route are you going down and where are you heading in oz? And have you got kids ?
We applied for a 190 but have recently just been offered the 489 instead, but hey it’s a offer we’re not refusing, so we have just got to wait for the grant now

Hi Scott

We’ve applied for a 187 direct entry RSMS visa for the NT. I have a sponsor in place waiting for me but the wait it still set to be a long one. It’s possible we may apply for a temporary visa while we wait for the 187. 

No children so that makes things easier for us in terms of the move itself. 

Sometimes it feels like we are never going to get there. Reading through this forum there are so many people with their lives on hold just waiting in limbo for some news, with no guarantee. 

I agree take what you can, get there and then rethink if you want to change or apply for a different visa. 

Good luck though guys. 

Emma 

On ‎16‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 15:09, Brills33 said:

Hi Scott

We’ve applied for a 187 direct entry RSMS visa for the NT. I have a sponsor in place waiting for me but the wait it still set to be a long one. It’s possible we may apply for a temporary visa while we wait for the 187. 

No children so that makes things easier for us in terms of the move itself. 

Sometimes it feels like we are never going to get there. Reading through this forum there are so many people with their lives on hold just waiting in limbo for some news, with no guarantee. 

I agree take what you can, get there and then rethink if you want to change or apply for a different visa. 

Good luck though guys. 

Emma 

We just had our 187 DE visa (Hairdresser) for the NT refused on 01/08/18 at nomination stage after waiting for 22 months ?

CO determined that the employer would not be able to afford the salary?? which would of been the norm as any other hairdresser in the area. A lot of applications are getting refused for silly reasons. We're  not appealing as we feel it will be a waste of time (18months approx.) and money

6 hours ago, dasinlondon said:

CO determined that the employer would not be able to afford the salary?? which would of been the norm as any other hairdresser in the area. A lot of applications are getting refused for silly reasons. We're  not appealing as we feel it will be a waste of time (18months approx.) and money

Did you guys consult an Agent? are you guys planning to apply to another state? 

• Like 1

On 19/08/2018 at 14:29, dasinlondon said:

We just had our 187 DE visa (Hairdresser) for the NT refused on 01/08/18 at nomination stage after waiting for 22 months ?

Oh my, I thought at that stage it would be "all GO" 

Im really sorry to hear this............ 

are considering another country or staying where you are?

So at some point was there salary expectations required? This is my main concern becuase as it stands my trade isnt valid in the NT so everything will depend on the hairdressing status?!

We have already lost a lot when I applied a few years ago and they changed the rules mid process so to lose even more and effectively put your life on hold for this length of time is quite a daunting process.

We have had a decent summer here so having passed the IELTS we still need to work on her skills assessment so in order to get things started we should really get motivated again!! 

Oh my, I thought at that stage it would be "all GO" 
Im really sorry to hear this............ 
are considering another country or staying where you are?
So at some point was there salary expectations required? This is my main concern becuase as it stands my trade isnt valid in the NT so everything will depend on the hairdressing status?!
We have already lost a lot when I applied a few years ago and they changed the rules mid process so to lose even more and effectively put your life on hold for this length of time is quite a daunting process.
We have had a decent summer here so having passed the IELTS we still need to work on her skills assessment so in order to get things started we should really get motivated again!! 

Hi, I think a lot depends on what visa you are applying for, ?
We have just had invitation for 489 visa to apply for nt (hairdresser) , originally wanted the 190 permanent visa, but it seems they aren’t giving many of these out at the moment,
Great about the ielts [emoji1360]
The skills assessment is pretty straightforward, but just adds to the waiting game!
We are estimating that by the time we get the visa granted (that’s if we do, fingers crossed) and enter the country it will be 2 years of a job [emoji51]

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/03/2018 at 09:10, dasinlondon said:

Hi there. Can you please advise me the questions your wife had to answer for her technical vet assess? And which tools she used to revise? I have been looking at all the vet assess guidance and printing out the unit of competency etc but it's a massive over load. I need to narrow down what I need to know for the technical assessment.  Also, have you heard any thing since lodging your EOI?

Hi , I did my skills assessment at the beginning of the year , I got asked things about , the 3 different stages of hair growth, about primary and secondary colours, how to do graduated bob step by step , how I would do full head foils , how I would handle a complaint, how I work with someone’s face shape , shampoo massage techniques, sterilising equipment, how to do a men’s scissor over comb , stock take .......
all things you learn when you start hairdressing to be honest , I used my old theory books and there is a thread on here somewhere that people wrote down questions they’d been asked. That was very helpful

• Like 1

Hi fliss- I found it handy too , I think I had the results back in a couple of weeks, we are about to have our medicals next week , then fingers crossed they come back ok , that will be the last thing I hope, and yeah I just explained with hand gestures and talked it through step by step, I found the skills assessment easy it was the English test I struggled with , but got there in the end.what visa are you applying for? X