Do you ditch their collar and leads when going to OZ?

Newstart

Hi,

I hope this doesn’t sound too silly. Did you discard your dog and cats collars / leads, and just buy new ones once you arrived in Australia?

Since the pets don’t fly with their collars on; I assume quarentine put their own leads on the dogs when taking them for walks at the facility?

And perhaps, if you fly with their leads and collars, they will be taken off you once you go through Quarantine, anyway?

Guest The Pom Queen

I don’t know current law @BobPetairUK will be able to update on that, however, I personally wouldn’t have a lead in with the dog. They would also probably go missing in quarantine. Pack them with your items or purchase new here. Prices for a lead range from $3 - $120. The average collar price for a medium dog is $25.

31 minutes ago, s713 said:

I got my little one a new matching chest brace, collar and lead last week and it was $160. Just so you know.

Goodness, that is a lot. Mine costs $18 for a harness (reflective thread), about the same for the collar and about $25 for the leash (which I’ve never actually bought to complete the set).

I’ve only bought one collar the entire 3.5 years we’ve had the dog and a new harness each year as he trashes them in the winter in the mud. The leads I use are the good old rope working dog ones I brought with me from the UK. This is the 4th dog they have been used on and are still going strong over 15 years since I first got them. Cost me £10 each at the time I seem to recall, which was a fair whack back then. No need to replace them. 

1 hour ago, snifter said:

Goodness, that is a lot. Mine costs $18 for a harness (reflective thread), about the same for the collar and about $25 for the leash (which I’ve never actually bought to complete the set).

I’ve only bought one collar the entire 3.5 years we’ve had the dog and a new harness each year as he trashes them in the winter in the mud. The leads I use are the good old rope working dog ones I brought with me from the UK. This is the 4th dog they have been used on and are still going strong over 15 years since I first got them. Cost me £10 each at the time I seem to recall, which was a fair whack back then. No need to replace them. 

My dog is a puller so he needs a strong harness.  It cost just over $50.  His collar cost $5 (K Mart)and his lead $10.  I got them when we collected him from the dogs' home over 3 years ago.