nice regions in the far south coast

y not

17 hours ago, Booma said:

Nowra is a regional hub so would be one of the places your wife is most likely to find a job. we lived in huskisson & I worked at a school in Nowra before we moved further down the coast & it was brilliant. The main road through the area doesn't really show the best bits so it's not surprising some people get a poor impression. there were some problems with the aboriginal community at wreck bay coming into Nowra on their government pay day & causing trouble but that was settled down by the time we lived there. east Nowra isn't somewhere i would like to live because a lot of the housing there is government housing but most bits of central Nowra, north Nowra, cambewarra, Nowra hill & even bomaderry are all fine if you want to live close to town.

There are lots of small townships on the coast & further west of Nowra where people live but go into Nowra for work or major services but the townships themselves have most day to day needs. where we were in & around huskisson & vincentia was just magical but the area is also a bit more expensive. cheaper but still lovely are shoalhaven heads, culburra & other townships surrounding jervis bay.

i always found the people in the area very friendly. there was good community spirit with lots to do if you like the outdoors. Not so much to do if you like museums :)

Thank you Booma for your time and help its really informative. Its ok looking online but you cant beat boots on floor info. Can i ask you what you found so brilliant about the place and why you left. Nowra High school looks really good, and fun. PS don't like museums much.:) Cheers

We went down that way for holidays quite a few times, mostly to Jervis Bay area, and used to go to Nowra for shopping etc.  It looked okay.  The people in the supermarkets were friendly, as were other people we came across.  Some bits of the town did look a bit more run down, but other parts looked pretty nice, same as most places.  It seemed to have most amenities, and was big enough to sustain two Specsavers stores (my OH was a director for Specsavers in Aus, he always judged places by how many Specsavers they needed xD).  There was a little retail centre with a Woolies, butchers, fishmonger, coffee shops etc, and also a high street area I think (although we never really ventured there).  It is on the doorstep of some of the most beautiful beaches in the world!  Huskisson is a nice little township, we really loved that area.  It's about 30 minutes drive from Nowra.

5 hours ago, y not said:

Thank you Booma for your time and help its really informative. Its ok looking online but you cant beat boots on floor info. Can i ask you what you found so brilliant about the place and why you left. Nowra High school looks really good, and fun. PS don't like museums much.:) Cheers

I love the outdoors & the beaches & waterways & national parks in that area are all gorgeous. There is just so much to explore. the bay beaches are also very safe for people like me who arent strong swimmers. There are plenty of surf beaches though if you like surfing etc Its maybe an odd thing to say but it smelled good as well. a mix of ocean & eucalyptus from the bush. we moved from london so thats probably why i noticed the fresh smell so much :) the wildlife is amazing & there was dolphins that lived in the bay & even whales sometimes came in to rest on migration.

the people were generous & friendly & there is a real community feel. there is lots of tourists that come especially in summer but that just seems to bond the locals tighter together. i just felt safe & comfortable there. its hard to find the right words but living was just easy. there are no big department stores but day to day living is well catered for. every now & then we went to canberra or Sydney for a weekend. Just to see concerts & for me to get some major retail therapy.

you mentioned Nowra high school. i didn't teach there but it had a good reputation & the programs they had for the kids were amazing. 

we moved because my husband found 140 hectares with beach frontage that he couldn't live without further down the coast & closer to where he grew up.

• Like 1

Im no expert on regional visa but most of jervis bay seems to be in the designated regional postcodes. A bit of the bay isnt classed as nsw but its just the white bit in this map. certainly something for the poster to check out though.

IMG_7083.PNG

On 3/24/2018 at 11:00, Marisawright said:

Before we get too excited, has anyone checked whether Jervis Bay counts as Far South Coast?   I have a feeling it might not. 

Nowra is the very North tip of it.  Goes down to the state border south of Eden where it's very sparce.  You'd think for Regional Development and especially Health they'd be more concerned with developing the least populated areas in the very South, because this is where retirees are moving to with the youth moving the other way to the cities.  Average age is only going to get older unless they purposely restore the balance by bringing in fresh young blood for a reason.

One of the problems with the idyllic lifestyle is the need to go back to Canberra for full hospital services, a lot of people only feel isolated when they realise how old they are and what could happen if there's a lack of local services. There's no secret why the coach sustains a service to Canberra every day throughout the year even in winter, it's for people going for treatments or visiting people in Canberra Hospital.   As for emergencies.....helicopter?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 21:33, y not said:

Anyone got any thoughts on Nowra NSW. Anyone lived there, or been there recently? Cheers:D

I'm looking at Nowra as well, North Nowra looks like the nicest bit! We're also trying for  a 489 with 60 points! Hard to know where to head for! Berry looks nice but pretty pricey!  Have you used Homely.com.au? Gives suburb reviews.

The job situation concerns me... 

Good luck! 

21 hours ago, CVS said:

I'm looking at Nowra as well, North Nowra looks like the nicest bit! We're also trying for  a 489 with 60 points! Hard to know where to head for! Berry looks nice but pretty pricey!  Have you used Homely.com.au? Gives suburb reviews.

The job situation concerns me... 

Good luck! 

Hi

Homely is good but read it with a pinch of salt. I think you have to look and judge for yourself. What job are you going for?

16 minutes ago, y not said:

PS sorry it took 21 hours to get back to you:jiggy:

Hey,

No worries at all!

Re jobs, my husband is an IT Manager and I'm a PA, Office Manager, Admin bod! 

I live in hope that all will be well!

Its the not knowing whether you're wasting your time and money that is the biggest bug bear. Just been looking up mid north coast that looks nice as well. Don't know if your  state visa lets you go up that way. Keep me posted on your progress. :) and I will too

Good luck to you too