nice regions in the far south coast

y not

Hi all

just wondering if anyone lives, or has lived in a nice sub what they would recommend for a family who love sailing, rugby, and the good old out doors. We are looking at the Far South Coast, or Mid North Coast. Would love some inside knowledge. Thanks for any hel:Dp.

NSW, Victoria, South Australia, Tasmania and Western Australia al have a 'Far South Coast' and Queensland has a south east coast...

NSW and Queensland have 'a Mid North Coast'...

Personally, I would look at Queensland for sailing and rugby and an outdoor life.

Cheers, Bobj.

Post was made in the New South Wales forum, so I assume they’re asking about NSW ?.

The far south Coast is pretty remote from most places. Very beautiful but a very long drive from Sydney or Melbourne. Canberra is closest but at least 2 hours away. You’d need to enjoy rural or small town life if you lived down that way.

Mid north coast is a bit more developed. Port Macquarie is a reasonable sized town with decent facilities.

You’d be able to sail, play rugby and live an outdoor life in both places - but what would you do for work?

8 minutes ago, NickyNook said:

Post was made in the New South Wales forum, so I assume they’re asking about NSW ?.

The far south Coast is pretty remote from most places. Very beautiful but a very long drive from Sydney or Melbourne. Canberra is closest but at least 2 hours away. You’d need to enjoy rural or small town life if you lived down that way.

Mid north coast is a bit more developed. Port Macquarie is a reasonable sized town with decent facilities.

You’d be able to sail, play rugby and live an outdoor life in both places - but what would you do for work?

Cheer Nickynook

Very good point, that's what I need to find out. Only just started looking at NSW. Backpacked through NSW  years ago.  4 years ago I  went to Adelaide, and Perth, on a recce, thinking that was where we would go. But then my trade came off of the SOL list (bricklayer) I got older, and the 60 points were getting harder to gain. So now its the wife turn:) she retrained and now she is going to be the lead applicant.

What is your wife's job?  Would you need to be near a larger town e.g for a hospital if she's a nurse, or is her job something she could do in a smaller town?  How regional do you need to be for your visa?  The north has more larger towns if I recall, whereas the south coast has fewer, smaller towns.  I would think that Nowra would be the largest town down that way.  We went on holiday down there quite a few times, it's a couple of hours from Sydney, but I wouldn't really class it as far south coast.  That would be places like Mollymook, Ulladulla, Batemans Bay, but I think they're all much smaller.  People do live in those towns quite happily though, so I'd say it depends on the job.

Ditto, very much depends on the job. It’s a very touristy kind of area rather than huge industry, full of Canberra retirees and Canberra holiday homes (along with the locals of course, who do the fishing/farming/small retail/hospitality). It’d be hard to think of what occupation would be in need that couldn’t be filled locally. But, if you can get a job, go where it is.

2 hours ago, NickyNook said:

Thanks for getting back to me everyone, it really is helpful. My wife will be a Occupational Therapist (finish in 3months time) and i am a bricklayer but have been doing building maintenance for the last 13years. house refurbes, Kitchen bathrooms ect

What kind of sailing?   Jervis Bay is a big centre for small boat sailing because it's a huge bay but offers some shelter.  So if you have a trailer sailer or like catamarans and small craft, pick somewhere close to that.  Lake Macquarie is another big, sheltered sailing venue.

Otherwise, a lot of the sailing on the coast is generally open water which means bigger yachts, or it's in rivers, which means the winds are more flukey (e.g. Urunga Sail Training Club).  

I'd certainly say the north coast has better job opportunities.   Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour, Ballina are all bigger centres than the towns on the south coast.  

Edited by Marisawright

9 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

What kind of sailing?   Jervis Bay is a big centre for small boat sailing because it's a huge bay but offers some shelter.  So if you have a trailer sailer or like catamarans and small craft, pick somewhere close to that.  Lake Macquarie is another big, sheltered sailing venue.

Otherwise, a lot of the sailing on the coast is generally open water which means bigger yachts, or it's in rivers, which means the winds are more flukey (e.g. Urunga Sail Training Club).  

I'd certainly say the north coast has better job opportunities.   Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour, Ballina are all bigger centres than the towns on the south coast.  

Happy sailing dinghy or crewing. Been looking at the places that have been mentioned, Lots to think about. But all good.:) Without your input would not of known about Urunga sailing club or Ballina ect so much appreciated.

1 hour ago, y not said:

Happy sailing dinghy or crewing. Been looking at the places that have been mentioned, Lots to think about. But all good.:) Without your input would not of known about Urunga sailing club or Ballina ect so much appreciated.

If I remember rightly, you have family in Queensland so I'd certainly recommend concentrating on the North Coast.   You may think if you settle further south, you'll travel to Canberra and fly up - that will get tiresome very quickly.   Two hours just to get to the airport, then there's checking in, hanging around, flight, then you've got no car at the other end.  Whereas from somewhere like Port Macquarie, it's only about 5 hours' drive to the Gold Coast.   Obviously the further up the coast you go, the shorter the drive!

The beaches are just as nice as the far south coast. 

No idea if OT is anything like any of the other allied health professions but finding an OT job in that area without full registration could be tricky. If she has to spend a period under supervision with assessment before she gets full registration, I don’t know that there are going to be many options for supervised practice. Has she dealt with AHPRA yet? I think you’d struggle to find anything much outside Wollongong or possibly, at a pinch, Nowra. Experience in the field is really going to be key here.

On 21/03/2018 at 05:51, y not said:

Hi Bobj 

Thanks for your reply. Sorry i thought i put the post in the NWS bit. We are trying for a 489 regional, so that is are options. :)

Be aware Rugby (Union) is a very minor game in Australia.  Rugby (League) not so, being the second largest code played nationwide mainly East Coast 

1 hour ago, Quoll said:

No idea if OT is anything like any of the other allied health professions but finding an OT job in that area without full registration could be tricky. If she has to spend a period under supervision with assessment before she gets full registration, I don’t know that there are going to be many options for supervised practice. Has she dealt with AHPRA yet? I think you’d struggle to find anything much outside Wollongong or possibly, at a pinch, Nowra. Experience in the field is really going to be key here.

Yes there are two stages, one here and one in OZ. I have been looking at jobs and some are ok with new grads. But i wouldn't bet my house on it. I'm hoping a company called Global Health Source allied health recruitment will  help out a bit.

• Like 1

Of all the places south of Sydney that is one place I didn't like that much.  Can't put my finger on it - just didn't like the feel of the place.  I'm sure other folk think differently though.  I've not lived there just passed through on the way further south.

1 minute ago, Toots said:

Of all the places south of Sydney that is one place I didn't like that much.  Can't put my finger on it - just didn't like the feel of the place.  I'm sure other folk think differently though.  I've not lived there just passed through on the way further south.

xDxD just a bad feeling. You cant like everywhere. Cheers for saying

• Like 1

Nowra is OK - it's quite big for a country town and has everything you need for day-to-day living. It's on the Shoalhaven River which is quite wide but there's only has a narrow-ish bridge to carry traffic across so the river is a bit of a bottle-neck. The town itself is pretty ordinary-looking but the surrounding countryside is nice. It's close to Jervis Bay which has the most stunning beaches in the state (I believe) and to the north you have lovely rolling countryside towards Berry and Kiama. 

3 hours ago, y not said:

Anyone got any thoughts on Nowra NSW. Anyone lived there, or been there recently? Cheers:D

This site is a good one for getting an idea of an area, (though as always, you have to take reviews with a pinch of salt)

https://www.homely.com.au/nowra-shoalhaven-illawarra-new-south-wales

The town seems to have a bad reputation.   However, all the areas around Jervis Bay are popular with retirees and sailing is HUGE there.

Edited by Marisawright

Nowra is a regional hub so would be one of the places your wife is most likely to find a job. we lived in huskisson & I worked at a school in Nowra before we moved further down the coast & it was brilliant. The main road through the area doesn't really show the best bits so it's not surprising some people get a poor impression. there were some problems with the aboriginal community at wreck bay coming into Nowra on their government pay day & causing trouble but that was settled down by the time we lived there. east Nowra isn't somewhere i would like to live because a lot of the housing there is government housing but most bits of central Nowra, north Nowra, cambewarra, Nowra hill & even bomaderry are all fine if you want to live close to town.

There are lots of small townships on the coast & further west of Nowra where people live but go into Nowra for work or major services but the townships themselves have most day to day needs. where we were in & around huskisson & vincentia was just magical but the area is also a bit more expensive. cheaper but still lovely are shoalhaven heads, culburra & other townships surrounding jervis bay.

i always found the people in the area very friendly. there was good community spirit with lots to do if you like the outdoors. Not so much to do if you like museums :)