Helps and tips for Perth

castliano

Hi all,

So flight is booked for April one way to Perth. I'm coming over on a 189 Visa, so no restrictions in regards to work and location, but we have our hearts (currently) set on Perth.

I'm sadly flying over solo whilst my wife sees out her contract in the Uk until June/July, depending on when they let her leave.

To help put my mind at ease and also help me settle in, I'm really looking for helpful tips and advice from fellow Poms to help get me acquainted as fast as possible to my/our new life down under.

I am from Newcastle and Work in marketing and events, with varied experience, so any work advice and where is best to search etc etc would be much appreciated.

My wife is a Perth girl, and we both love the city.  Enjoy!  I'm sure the time until your wife arrives will move pretty quickly.

Anytime I ask about Jobs people point me to seek.com.au but I guess you know that already!  I have also found the odd 2nd level connection via linked in, and will ask for introductions when the time comes.

• Like 1

My wife is a Perth girl, and we both love the city.  Enjoy!  I'm sure the time until your wife arrives will move pretty quickly.
Anytime I ask about Jobs people point me to seek.com.au but I guess you know that already!  I have also found the odd 2nd level connection via linked in, and will ask for introductions when the time comes.

Yeah I have been hammering Seek and using the app a lot. Very useful. I'm hoping it flies by as very daunting coming on my own!

Good time to fly. Take an empty pillow cover with you. If you find you have a stretch of four to yourself, fill it with the little pillows and excess blankets and you have a full sized pillow. If you miss Easter, you may get a stretch of four down the back of the plane.

They don't let you take water on board to Australia, so take an empty bottle and ask the hostesses if they will fill it.

If you get in a taxi in Perth, make sure you know where you are going, as the chances are the driver won't.

• Like 3

I noticed an Uber stand at the airport when I dropped someone off the other day - if Uber is your preference.

Have a look on  Jobs WA too ... not sure if anything for your occupation but may be an helpful site to look at.

• Like 1

Hello from an expat Geordie :).

I've lived in Perth since 1989 and am married to a West Aussie now, however I came over alone with no job, no accomodation and not knowing a soul :eek:. You don't say how much you know about Perth or if you've visited before?

If you're not staying with friends or family initially I'd suggest staying somewhere near the city, especially if you're job hunting. I was recently looking on Air BnB at Perth lets and there were quite a few city apartments listed so might be worth considering. So many UK expats seem to head out to the outer suburbs when they get here just to be near the beach but if you don't have kids yet with schooling to consider I think it's nice to be closer to the city at first with more going on.

If you're looking at car hire Bayswater car rentals have been around for years and have very good deals outside of school holiday. And don't forget April 25th is Anzac Day so a public holiday.

It will be cooling down at night soon so don't leave all your jumpers and jackets behind!

What other info would be helpful?

Hello from an expat Geordie [emoji4].
 I've lived in Perth since 1989 and am married to a West Aussie now, however I came over alone with no job, no accomodation and not knowing a soul :eek:. You don't say how much you know about Perth or if you've visited before?
If you're not staying with friends or family initially I'd suggest staying somewhere near the city, especially if you're job hunting. I was recently looking on Air BnB at Perth lets and there were quite a few city apartments listed so might be worth considering. So many UK expats seem to head out to the outer suburbs when they get here just to be near the beach but if you don't have kids yet with schooling to consider I think it's nice to be closer to the city at first with more going on.
If you're looking at car hire Bayswater car rentals have been around for years and have very good deals outside of school holiday. And don't forget April 25th is Anzac Day so a public holiday.
It will be cooling down at night soon so don't leave all your jumpers and jackets behind!
What other info would be helpful?

I have been for a weeks visit and know literally nothing tbh!! I'm staying in an air b&b for about 3 weeks in two different locations: West and east perth.

I intend to attend the Anzac ceremony so already got that pencilled in, as sounds nice. Although I am a t-shirt and short man above 12 degrees, I am still packing my 'cooler' clothes thankfully.

Is there key things to see and do? Also hot spots for living for a young couple?

10 minutes ago, castliano said:

I have been for a weeks visit and know literally nothing tbh!! I'm staying in an air b&b for about 3 weeks in two different locations: West and east perth.

I intend to attend the Anzac ceremony so already got that pencilled in, as sounds nice. Although I am a t-shirt and short man above 12 degrees, I am still packing my 'cooler' clothes thankfully.

Is there key things to see and do? Also hot spots for living for a young couple?

I wouldn't worry about "things to see and do".  You'll be flat out getting yourself organised for the first few weeks.  Besides, you're going to have the rest of your life to see the sights and I'm sure you'd rather see them with your other half.  

You'll need to open a bank account, get a Medicare card, sign up with some agencies and look for a place to rent.  As others have said, the outer beach suburbs can be tempting but they are more family-oriented so you might be better off in town.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, castliano said:

West and East Perth are both great areas - good plan. Did you visit Fremantle when you were here, it's a nice place to visit on the train? Also South Perth area, anywhere on the river is nice for a walk.

I live in the Hills these days but I've lived in several other suburbs. I think great areas  are Mt Hawthorn, Yokine, Joondanna, Mt Lawley, Inglewood, West Leederville and of course the more expensive ones Subiaco, West and East Perth. I've never lived South of the river for some reason.

Edited by Drumbeat

West and East Perth are both great areas - good plan. Did you visit Fremantle when you were here, it's a nice place to visit on the train? Also South Perth area, anywhere on the river is nice for a walk.
I live in the Hills these days but I've lived in several other suburbs. I think great areas  are Mt Hawthorn, Yokine, Joondanna, Mt Lawley, Inglewood, West Leederville and of course the more expensive ones Subiaco, West and East Perth. I've never lived South of the river for some reason.

We didn't get a chance but really like the sound of it, so I will be taking a visit. South Perth is expensive though isn't it? As we walked through Como. Thanks

2 hours ago, castliano said:

We didn't get a chance but really like the sound of it, so I will be taking a visit. South Perth is expensive though isn't it? As we walked through Como. Thanks

Yes, unfortunately all the riverside suburbs are fiendishly expensive.

When your wife comes over you should look at taking a road trip to Denham and Monkey Mia, it’s nice to visit in the winter. And an Entertainment Book is worth buying, the new one comes out in June and there are some good discounts for restaurants and attractions.

Edited by Drumbeat
  • Like 1