Another visa overstayer

Toots

3 hours ago, Toots said:

Yes it's a shame but many want to live in Oz, that doesn't mean they can. She  knew the rules. Strange that her parents chose to leave the uk to start a new life in Oz knowing they were leaving their daughter behind but when they needed someone to look after them they called on her.  It will be hard for her to go back and start again but she knew it would happen one day and that's her parents doing in part as they knew too she'd one day have to return.  The parents died some years ago and still she has deliberately remained there illegally.  If they let her stay that opens the door for everyone with ageing parents living there to try that one 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, ramot said:

Shame she couldn't get a carers visa when she was caring for them.

Very hard to get I believe which makes sense otherwise thousands  with ageing parents would be on it.  Particularly in a country that has things in place if people need care. If you can get a carer in easily how can you demonstrate someone from another country needs to be issued a visa.  Sure people may prefer a relative but that's not their call. The parents in question here made a choice to move to Oz. We all know we will be old one day and may need care.  The person in question her was lucky to be allowed to stay for 5 years. She has shown total disregard to that. 

• Like 1

I dont think her parents dragged her here shotuing and screaming so i dont blame them at all.  It doesnt look like she ever tried to get a permanent visa enabling her to stay it just mentions her keep getting temp visas which she couldnt even be employed on.. Yes its harsh but she has no visa so needs to return, rules are in place for a reason and now her parents have passed i see no reson to bend them to suit her requirements.

Cal x

36 minutes ago, calNgary said:

I dont think her parents dragged her here shotuing and screaming so i dont blame them at all. 

I suppose they just assumed she'd be able to head back to the UK to her old life when they went.  But you'd have thought they'd be aware of how difficult it was for her to stay - didn't they even contemplate the possibility of going back to the UK instead of putting her in that precarious position?  

2 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Very hard to get I believe which makes sense otherwise thousands  with ageing parents would be on it.  Particularly in a country that has things in place if people need care. If you can get a carer in easily how can you demonstrate someone from another country needs to be issued a visa.  Sure people may prefer a relative but that's not their call. The parents in question here made a choice to move to Oz. We all know we will be old one day and may need care.  The person in question her was lucky to be allowed to stay for 5 years. She has shown total disregard to that. 

Someone I know managed to get one.

Many people want to migrate to Australia and cannot get a visa because they don't qualify. To allow that woman to stay would be unfair. She already got the rare privilege to secure a 5-year-visa from the former Immigration Minister so she could care for her parents - though Australia already had a sophisticated progam of 'in home care' for her parents in place where Home Support Workers would be paid carers paid from the Aged Care Progam of Commonwealth Australia. Anyway, that a 55 year old woman who stayed 45 years of her entire life n Britain and came here 10 years ago claims she doesn't know anybody in the UK any longer is just ridiculous and only wants to arouse pity.  I'm here more than 6 years and are still in contact with my best mates in my home country. Maybe the next step would be to claim that she doesn't speak the language anymore and only understands Australian English *sarcasm off*. Her parents wanted to migrate to the other side of the world and why should adult children feel obliged to care for them like others mentioned before. If possible it would open the flood gates for sure.

Edited by silencio
erros
  • Like 4

Makes you wonder if it was the parents pushing for it. If the person in question has no family or friends to go back to maybe she didn't really in the first place. She could have been like many are - I'll go there to do xyz and hopefully I'll find a way to stay for ever. Her parents may have said I wish you were here or something and that turned a lightbulb on or something.  She must be forced to return, can't be one rule for one 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tulip1 said:

Makes you wonder if it was the parents pushing for it. If the person in question has no family or friends to go back to maybe she didn't really in the first place. She could have been like many are - I'll go there to do xyz and hopefully I'll find a way to stay for ever. Her parents may have said I wish you were here or something and that turned a lightbulb on or something.  She must be forced to return, can't be one rule for one 

That's along the lines of what I was thinking.  Unless she's one of those people who makes a martyr of herself, her parents must have been aware of how difficult it was for her to stay in Australia, and that she'd eventually have to leave.   After all, it would be a pretty heartless parent who said, " who cares, we need you and we're not moving back to the UK, so lump it".   So maybe like you say, she grabbed the chance to move over to Australia and thought she could play the system to let her stay. 

• Like 1