12 minutes ago, J-J said:

Kind of off topic a little but didn't think it required a new thread....

Been ask by some of the removal companies who we are getting quotes off if we are sure our T.V.s will work in Australia.

Has anyone herd of UK TVs not working over in Australia?  

You might need to connect to a set top box or cable service in order to get the channels. Or, apparently, a few do work if you set the region to Germany. Probably better to sell it and buy new when you get there. Ditto dvds are a different region if you still play them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quoll said:

You might need to connect to a set top box or cable service in order to get the channels. Or, apparently, a few do work if you set the region to Germany. Probably better to sell it and buy new when you get there. Ditto dvds are a different region if you still play them.

Thanks for your reply. Once we are settled we will look at Fox tel as i'm an F! nerd and that's the only way to watch over there. 

Another question kind of the same topic is will an Xbox work over there? I'm guessing if its not connected to online then it should but how about online services? 

57 minutes ago, Quoll said:

At least in the UK it is easy enough to get a hifi shop to globalize your dvd player.  I asked when I bought one, and they spent about 10 minutes downloading and updating the software; been happily playing UK and Australian DVDs for years.

9 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

At least in the UK it is easy enough to get a hifi shop to globalize your dvd player.  I asked when I bought one, and they spent about 10 minutes downloading and updating the software; been happily playing UK and Australian DVDs for years.

There are codes on line for most DVD players to dexregionalize  them (dont ask an Aussie shop to do it!) but if you mainly play them on a laptop it gets confusing as I don’t think they can be de-regionalised but I think you can get round the region problem by using something like VLC media player.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Changing plugs is easy and I was taught this in school at at Scouts. In the UK when I was younger, electrical goods were sold without plugs - you were expected to buy a plug separately and wire it yourself. I cannot believe that a licensed electrician would wire a plug better than me as it is a purely mechanical process - the same as a sparky wouldn't put a plug into socket any better than a regular dude. You don't need any tool beyond a Swiss army knife (or pliers and a screwdriver). 

As for invalidating warranties - that's a scare story. Nobody could ever prove the plug had not been changed by a qualified electrician. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 18/03/2018 at 04:20, Johndoe said:

They're sealed to prevent ingress from mould/damp due to the climate. Prevents the likelihood of shock from touching a damp one. That's the main reason that it's illegal to change them because once changed, they wouldn't be damp proofed

That is what an RCD is supposed to protect you against and for the same reason Aus plugs don't have a fuse built in. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/09/2018 at 02:34, Davo453 said:

That is what an RCD is supposed to protect you against and for the same reason Aus plugs don't have a fuse built in. 

I'm no leccy but RCD doesn't prevent shock  IME. It trips out before major shock but I have still experienced shocks. I had a stiff fitting plug on an appliance and whilst attempting to push it in, my finger touched a prong and I got a shock.

On 12/09/2018 at 09:13, Johndoe said:

I'm no leccy but RCD doesn't prevent shock  IME. It trips out before major shock but I have still experienced shocks. I had a stiff fitting plug on an appliance and whilst attempting to push it in, my finger touched a prong and I got a shock.

Yep point taken you have to have a tiny shock to trip the Earth leakage (important to have an earth wire) but you will not get a major jolt. If you don't have RCD (hard to believe these days) get it asap and they do wear out so testing is a good idea just occasionally.

• Like 1