Hi, has anyone been advised to remove all UK plugs from their electrical goods before they pack them up? That’s what John Mason advise before shipping.

I was just going to get them re-plugged (is that even the term?!) once we arrive, so that we can use things and get them converted at our own pace.

Anyone had any experience with this?

TIA [emoji846]

7 minutes ago, Castling said:

Hi, has anyone been advised to remove all UK plugs from their electrical goods before they pack them up? That’s what John Mason advise before shipping.

I was just going to get them re-plugged (is that even the term?!) once we arrive, so that we can use things and get them converted at our own pace.

TIA emoji846.png

Generally I just take a power board from the UK, and change the plug on that. Saves a lot of hassle and any warranty violations. Or, you can plug the power board into an adapter if you don't want to mess with re wiring.

• Like 1

Generally I just take a power board from the UK, and change the plug on that. Saves a lot of hassle and any warranty violations. Or, you can plug the power board into an adapter if you don't want to mess with re wiring.

Power board?! At the risk of sounding stupid, what is that?

Not only will changing plugs yourself void any warranties or insurance should you get sparked, or have a fire, it is also illegal (if you are not a certified sparky) in Qld and I believe that could also apply to some other states https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/injury-prevention-safety/electricity/homeowners-and-consumers/dontdiy

Get adapters!!! So do not cut off plugs!

Edited by Johndoe
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Depends on the state. In SA you can change a plug or do anything not hard wired to the mains. After that you need a sparky.  Queensland are much stricter. Not sure about other states. 

As mentioned do not cut off the plugs before shipping but bring power boards. Out UK washer and dryer are still plugged into a UK power board with a AUS plug on the end many years later. 

When we travel we take an Aus board with a UK plug on the end. 

It is easier for them to wrap without the plugs but it is not a requirement. 

14 hours ago, Castling said:

TIA emoji846.png

No need to take them off get some adapters and just change them to oz ones over time once you are here.

Guest The Pom Queen
On 16/03/2018 at 08:42, Johndoe said:

Not only will changing plugs yourself void any warranties or insurance should you get sparked, or have a fire, it is also illegal (if you are not a certified sparky) in Qld and I believe that could also apply to some other states https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/injury-prevention-safety/electricity/homeowners-and-consumers/dontdiy

Get adapters!!! So do not cut off plugs!

In Victoria it was also illegal to change a plug yourself and as you say if a fire happened your insurance would not pay out. Most bring adapters, personally I would t be cutting them off as believe me it take months to get an electrician out in some areas. 

Guest The Pom Queen
1 hour ago, bristolman said:

It's illegal to change a plug..seriously ? 

You should know you lived here long enough.

41 minutes ago, The Pom Queen said:

Well I can't disagree with that but I had no idea you weren't able to do something as simple as change a plug, just about everyone I know is breaking the law lol 

6 hours ago, bristolman said:

Well I can't disagree with that but I had no idea you weren't able to do something as simple as change a plug, just about everyone I know is breaking the law lol 

Didn't you  notice, when you lived here, that all the plugs are sealed on to the leads?  It's the first thing I noticed when I arrived.  That made me curious - why couldn't you just take them apart like British plugs?   Then when I started work, I discovered what the rules were.

7 hours ago, bristolman said:

But you knew all about the plug changing rules when you were posting under one of your previous personas (Chris995 wasn't it?). 

https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/125634-taking-tv-to-ozwhat-about-plug/?page=2

What a short memory you have. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Didn't you  notice, when you lived here, that all the plugs are sealed on to the leads?  It's the first thing I noticed when I arrived.  That made me curious - why couldn't you just take them apart like British plugs?   Then when I started work, I discovered what the rules were.

They're sealed to prevent ingress from mould/damp due to the climate. Prevents the likelihood of shock from touching a damp one. That's the main reason that it's illegal to change them because once changed, they wouldn't be damp proofed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Johndoe said:

They're sealed to prevent ingress from mould/damp due to the climate. Prevents the likelihood of shock from touching a damp one. That's the main reason that it's illegal to change them because once changed, they wouldn't be damp proofed

aha, it's good to know the reason behind it.

9 hours ago, Marisawright said:

Yes many of the plugs on appliances here are the same but just like here you can buy plugs to do the job yourself. 

1 hour ago, bristolman said:

Yes many of the plugs on appliances here are the same but just like here you can buy plugs to do the job yourself. 

In NSW you have to be licensed, so the electrical shops wouldn't sell them to you (or at least they didn't a few years ago).  Of course you can buy them on eBay.