Student debt

UDT1976

Guest The Pom Queen
5 hours ago, UDT1976 said:

Didnt think the student loans was goverment any more since the company has changed several times over the years.

If it’s not government then probably possible to get away with it then. 

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, SUPERSTARDJ01 said:

The government has an agreement to recover their debt with australia and student loans is one of them, credit cards and loans can't be recovered unless the bank have a presence in Australia

Is there any examples where it has been traced?

3 hours ago, seraphim said:

To be honest, if they are asking how to get out of paying back money they borrowed, morals are probably not high on the agenda!

Also please try to remember:

Its morally unacceptable:

- To work uk limited company to reduce tax liability

- To have house prices double in 10 years leaving people without affordable housing

- To buy lots of houses to rent out to people to "enslave them" into paying your mortgage for 30 years

- To start every public meeting in Australia by "acknowledging the traditional owners of the land where we meet today" but fail to give them any use of the land, money for its rent, address massive social inequality etc

- to set UK university tuition fees at 9 TIMES what it was when I studied in the early 2000's and infinitely more than anyone paid pre 1998

I could go on but wont ;)

I've paid off my loan in full but I wouldn't begrudge anyone trying to avoid paying there's back

3 minutes ago, can1983 said:

- To have house prices double in 10 years leaving people without affordable housing

- To buy lots of houses to rent out to people to "enslave them" into paying your mortgage for 30 years

- To start every public meeting in Australia by "acknowledging the traditional owners of the land where we meet today" but fail to give them any use of the land, money for its rent, address massive social inequality etc

- to set UK university tuition fees at 9 TIMES what it was when I studied in the early 2000's and infinitely more than anyone paid pre 1998

I've paid off my loan in full but I wouldn't begrudge anyone trying to avoid paying there's back

I know where you're coming from, but It's quicker to say:

"It's morally unacceptable, to have any advantage that I haven't been able to take advantage of. "

Or: " To be a capitalist. "

And before anyone attempts to to keyboard warrior the situation, I'm not disagreeing that those things aren't equitable (and I'm not a capitalist!) , but borrowing money from an agency you have no intention of paying back is theft, however you care to justify or dress it.  (I would like to drive this car but I don't want to pay back the finance, or I'd like this house but have decided not to pay the mortgage. I'd like a good education that (should) allow me a better life but I'd rather not pay for it.  Not a huge difference, except the education is of more personal benefit (well, unless you do an arts degree!)

If a person didn't want to pay it back, they shouldn't have spent it in the first place.  That's what causes todays students to have to shoulder the debt of yesterdays greed. (And yes I went to uni on a loan too, had student debt, and PAID IT BACK before I went using the rest of my income enjoying life)!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, seraphim said:

I know where you're coming from, but It's quicker to say:

"It's morally unacceptable, to have any advantage that I haven't been able to take advantage of. "

Or: " To be a capitalist. "

And before anyone attempts to to keyboard warrior the situation, I'm not disagreeing that those things aren't equitable (and I'm not a capitalist!) , but borrowing money from an agency you have no intention of paying back is theft, however you care to justify or dress it.  (I would like to drive this car but I don't want to pay back the finance, or I'd like this house but have decided not to pay the mortgage. I'd like a good education that (should) allow me a better life but I'd rather not pay for it.  Not a huge difference, except the education is of more personal benefit (well, unless you do an arts degree!)

If a person didn't want to pay it back, they shouldn't have spent it in the first place.  That's what causes todays students to have to shoulder the debt of yesterdays greed. (And yes I went to uni on a loan too, had student debt, and PAID IT BACK before I went using the rest of my income enjoying life)!

some keyboard warrior action for sure ;) 

I'm just trying to say the world hasn't been very moral to the young for the past 20 years and is getting even worse for todays young.

Why should I have got my education for 1000 a year when today it costs 9000 how's that fair? how's that moral

1 hour ago, can1983 said:

some keyboard warrior action for sure ;) 

I'm just trying to say the world hasn't been very moral to the young for the past 20 years and is getting even worse for todays young.

Why should I have got my education for 1000 a year when today it costs 9000 how's that fair? how's that moral

Definitely, you should have seen the karate chop I gave the keyboard! :D

You're confusing fairness and morality I think.  Plus, what you think is 'fair' might not be the same for everyone.  It's not "fair' that I haven't ever won the lottery (admittedly I don't buy a ticket, but by your logic, why should not buying a ticket exclude me from winning?!)

Have a great day, or night depending on where you are!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/27/2018 at 04:37, can1983 said:

OK its not moral but it is the taxpayers money you are affectingly stealing, student funding comes out of the government kitty, guess who paid for that kitty.

Plan 1 - Overseas thresholds

The repayment threshold for the UK for the period April 18 to March 19 is £18,330. So anyone with an annual salary of over £18,330 is required to repay their loan and they pay 9% of their earnings over this threshold.

If you are living overseas we work out your monthly repayment schedule using the same principles as for those who live in the UK. So, you will repay 9% of your earnings over the repayment threshold for the country you are living in.

To take account of differences in living costs, the repayment threshold in a foreign country will not necessarily be the same as in the UK. We will update thresholds each year to take account of price changes.

The repayment thresholds are set at an affordable level which reflects the conditions in the relevant country.

Overseas thresholds are calculated using information from externally published World Bank data. This data provides a measure of the differences in the general price levels of countries and therefore represents the relative cost of living between countries and enables fair thresholds to be set. Where the relevant economic information is not available to set a threshold the lowest threshold is used (£3,680 for the period April 18 to March 19).

For example, if you were living in Poland the repayment threshold is the equivalent of £7,345 so your repayments would be calculated as 9% of anything you earn over the equivalent of £7,345.

The applicable currency for each country and the exchange rate that SLC use when calculating an overseas repayment schedule is also listed in the below table.

These exchange rates are the average rates for the previous UK calendar year.

http://www.studentloanrepayment.co.uk/portal/page?_pageid=93,6678668&_dad=portal&_schema=PORTAL