Which VISA should we apply for

PatrickR

Hi,

This is my first time posting but have found this website very useful for doing research related to migration!

I'm just seeing if any one has any advice on the best course of action: I'm Australian and my girlfriend is from the UK, she is currently living with me as is on a working holiday visa

In the hope of finding sponsorship she is applying for jobs but we are aware of the 6 months to one employer rule which severely limits job opportunities, she is a qualified primary teacher here and in the UK

as far as I can work out we have two options: Apply for state nomination visa (189?) or apply for a Defacto visa. I have a couple questions based around these things

What are the general wait times for a 189 visa, is there a chance she will have to leave the country while it is processing? a rough points test shows she will be around 70-75

We've technically been together for 1 year as of now..... but she had to return to the UK for a period of that time while she sorted her life out there before the move back to Aus, we've lived together since the start of November last year - At what point do we claim the start of the relationship for the visa purpose, do we need to wait until November?

Is there any point applying for full time work at this stage? or just wait until she is on a permanent visa - has anyone found it possible to get a sponsorship with this 6 month limit on employment, most employers want someone who is going to be able to stay long term 

Sorry for the long post but all this visa info can get pretty confusing

Cheers,

Pat

Hi Patrick go for the partner 820 visa if you have the 7k to hand? as soon as your partners  runs out she will automatically be granted a bridging visa that will allow her to continue to work whilst the partner visa is being processed.thats how i understand it anyway worth looking into. Mel   

No, it doesn't override it. 

Out of interest, what state do you live in? As in some states you can register your relationship and therefore the 12 month rule is waived iirc. If you can only count de facto back to Nov 2017 it may be worthwhile investigating the registering the relationship aspect. It may not be possible but worth looking in to. 

@wrussell is a migration agent and does know what he is talking about so if he is suggesting a route, I'd investigate it and perhaps give him a call to run your case past him. 

FWIW, primary teaching is generally very over subscribed and depending on your area, jobs, even temp ones may be hard to come by as so many others looking also. 

We live in Victoria so I believe we can register the relationship but it doesn't really matter if we need to wait until her WHV expires  - that will be after the 12 month rule

It is quite complicated so at some point I will probably run the situation by a migration agent - just doing my own research first

My girlfriend is quite an experienced teacher with a unique skill set so being offered work hasn't been an issue - being able to accept these job offers is the issue because of the 6 month rule