Where did you stay when you first arrived?

kazb67

Myself, OH, toddler & dog will be moving to Melbourne on a PR visa.

We’ve been to WA a few times & were all set to go there however jobs for my OH seem more plentiful in VIC. Unfortunately neither of us have visited before so are just researching online.

We THINK we’ve chosen Frankston as the suburb that we’d like to rent longer term, however we’ll have a good rummage around when we arrive to see how it feels.

When we arrive we’re thinking about finding a house closer to the CBD for approx 1 month. This allows us to be close to the city so that OH can get to potential job interviews without travelling too far & allows us to explore suburbs round about. We had initially thought about a holiday caravan/cabin park so as there were plenty of things to do literally on the doorstep for our toddler whilst my OH is out job hunting, we also won’t necessarily have a car right away either.

Id appreciate hearing your experiences .....

Where did you stay when you 1st arrived, location/property type? 

Anything you’d do differently if you had to do it again?

We actually had a rental place set up before we went, simply because OH's employer contributed to a relocation agent who did everything for us.  However, most people would do exactly what you plan and rent a holiday home for a few weeks.  We actually ended up not liking the original suburb we rented in on the relocation agent's say so, but of course we were stuck with a six month lease.  I think if you can rent a holiday rental that often works out better because you can take your time to get a longer term rental.  The trouble for us was that OH needed to start work because his company needed him ASAP, and with two small kids in tow we had to hit the ground running.

When we moved back to the UK, although we had a rental sorted out, we were in a holiday house for about a week or so, which allowed us time to get some bits of furniture and so on.  It gave us a bit of breathing space, and meant that we had a functional kitchen, washing machine etc to use until we organised some things and moved into the rental.

Holiday let is the way to go - plan for 3-4 weeks that gives you time to get your bearings, and get to long term rental viewings. I'd suggest a holiday let close to the suburb(s) you have your eye on as it will give you more of a feel for the place and you are geographically closer to potential rentals when you have to drive from viewing to viewing on a saturday.

We started in Carrum, and then had a rental in seaford before buying in Langwarrin which is the suburb behind frankston. No regrets other than it would be nice to be closer to the beach, but its only a 10minute car ride anyway.

Its pretty easy to get to the CBD about an hour in the car (depending on the time you leave) and about the same on the train. Bear in mind that they have started the level crossing removals at frankston and seaford plus the redevelopment of frankston station. So you might have to get the bus to carrum etc etc, which you'll need to take into account in the short term potentially depending on your arrival dates.

Thankyou for sharing your experiences.

My OH thought it best to get a holiday rental closer to the suburbs we liked the look of but I was swaying more towards closer to the city.

Suppose if we went to the suburb though it would also give him a better feel for travelling to & from work aswell as myself & son getting a feel for how we’d settle.

We’re just desperate to get out & start the next adventure in our lives!

Stayed at CityEdge serviced apartments for about a week on Elizabeth/A Beckett street just so we could get stuff sorted in the city like bank/medicare etc.

Then moved out to Coburg for about 3 weeks, stayed at an Airbnb in someones garage. It was a bit grim, the guy was a massive hoarder and there was junk everywhere, we managed to secure a rental a week earlier so we were glad to escape.

Then it was Bacchus Marsh renting for about 9 months, we were half looking for a place to buy, went out for a drive one Saturday, saw there were some open houses in Greendale, was blown away and said fck it, we'll take this one. Been here several years now, best decision ever.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Footscray, Airbnb for 2 weeks.
Things were getting tight in terms of finding somewhere within that two weeks, so we booked another 2 weeks in a different airbnb.  That night we applied and got accepted the next day.  We cancelled the airbnb without an issue - we made sure it had a friendly cancellation policy;)

• 3 months later...
On 15/03/2018 at 04:49, kazb67 said:

Myself, OH, toddler & dog will be moving to Melbourne on a PR visa.

We’ve been to WA a few times & were all set to go there however jobs for my OH seem more plentiful in VIC. Unfortunately neither of us have visited before so are just researching online.

We THINK we’ve chosen Frankston as the suburb that we’d like to rent longer term, however we’ll have a good rummage around when we arrive to see how it feels.

When we arrive we’re thinking about finding a house closer to the CBD for approx 1 month. This allows us to be close to the city so that OH can get to potential job interviews without travelling too far & allows us to explore suburbs round about. We had initially thought about a holiday caravan/cabin park so as there were plenty of things to do literally on the doorstep for our toddler whilst my OH is out job hunting, we also won’t necessarily have a car right away either.

Id appreciate hearing your experiences .....

Where did you stay when you 1st arrived, location/property type? 

Anything you’d do differently if you had to do it again?

We had a 3 weeks in an AirBandB on arrival in St Kilda, handy for jumping on a tram and going to the CBD, but also handy for beach and chilling.  We arrived 16th June last year and had our rental to move into by 3rd July, and that was with a change of preferred area in between (we had chosen Seaford - just north of Frankston - to start with and had a house and school place sorted, then had a change of heart, and ended up in the Dandenong Ranges which suited us much better, more trees, less people)!

We hired a car to get out and about after our first week and then on week four, purchased a second hand Holden to get us about for around the $2K mark.

The funny thing is that we wanted to be near the CBD for the same reason but neither of us work in the CBD, so it kind of cancelled itself out!

If you want to go down the holiday park route, think there's a Big4 around Seaford/Frankston area.  If you go down the AirBandB route, negotiate a better deal for anything longer than one week.  We got our second week discounted and paid about half price for our third week, and was offered a fourth week at a discounted rate as well but didn't need it in the end.  Our AirBandB landlord also provided a reference for us, for our real estate agency for our long term home rental, which was really handy, and said we could use his address for post so our medicare cards and TFN were registered there initially until we found our feet.  Our AirBandB was a two bedroom ground floor fully self contained ArtDeco apartment, literally five minutes walk from Botanic Gardens and Barkley St in St Kilda, and about a 10 minute walk to Luna Park.  Very handy.

Good luck!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...