To go home, or to stay ?

Dosey

After 47 years here in Victoria, I Am seriously considering return8ng to UK. My only brother lives there. My children and grandchildren are all well and happy and settled in Australia. I am retired , and not essential to anyone’s life here. Is it time to go ‘home ‘ to UK ?  Am I foolish ?  Anyone done it ? 

No, you're not foolish.  I'd say go for it, with one big proviso.   Don't, whatever you do, think of it as "returning" or "going home", because it won't be. You've been away 50 years and Britain is NOT the place you left, in hundreds of little ways.   You have also changed more than you realise.  So you can't expect to go back and fit into the hole you left.

However, if you think of it as a new adventure in a new country, you'll be fine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dosey said:

After 47 years here in Victoria, I Am seriously considering return8ng to UK. My only brother lives there. My children and grandchildren are all well and happy and settled in Australia. I am retired , and not essential to anyone’s life here. Is it time to go ‘home ‘ to UK ?  Am I foolish ?  Anyone done it ? 

No, not foolish at all. We did it after 30 years in Australia and we haven't looked back. If it's what you want to do then do it. 

• Like 3

Thanks Marisa 

good words of wisdom .

i appreciate them

i got back a few days ago from 3 weeks in UK , and loved every single minute .... even the snow, and burst pipes, and traffic . Felt I had found my tribe . I will take another few months to finally make a decision.

• Like 2

Yup, not "going back" but "moving on".  As long as you have your Aussie citizenship you can come and go as you choose.  Personally, after 32 years in Australia I have loved this last 6 years back in UK but even though I moved to my home town I knew I had to treat it like a move to a new place and put myself out there to make mates (as you do) and it's worked really really well.  I will be returning to Aus when my dad dies, I know but having had this new lease on life I hope I can view Aus as an adventure when the time comes and "move on" to there too.

• Like 5

I would go where your heart is- if it is the UK, just go for it.  Same applies to Australia.  Deep down I think most of us know where we feel 'at home'. Australia for me but i have met a few who always look back to the UK and eventually leave.  Nothing wrong with that.

• Like 5

Thank you so much for your thoughts , wisdom and advice . It’s helping heaps ! I have a new resolve to make sure I don’t see it as ‘going home ‘, and will look forward to a new adventure . Thanks for taking the time

• Like 1