You're currently viewing the forum as a Guest
register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Sunset

Cornish cream scone

Clotted cream (drooling now ?) and jam (strawberry). Can they be found anywhere in Sydney (apart from making own scones and cream??). Proper English tea shop - I mean?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, ssiri said:

Clotted cream (drooling now ?) and jam (strawberry). Can they be found anywhere in Sydney (apart from making own scones and cream??). Proper English tea shop - I mean?

Don't know about Sydney but we used to get lovely scones, jam and cream in a tea shop in the Blue Mountains.  Anyone of the big hotels in Sydney that do afternoon tea would do them.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, maidensarah said:

The Devon way. Cream first then jam. (Husband’s from Devon)

I like to spread the jam all over the scone then plop the cream on.  I'd make a proper mess doing it the other way round.  :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ssiri said:

Jam on bottom or top though? 

Jam on the bottom ,spread, just as Toots described above

Cal x

• Like 1

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

15 hours ago, maidensarah said:

Thank you for reminding me.  I knew that one county put cream first then jam, and the other insists you put jam first then cream.  But I could never remember whether it was Devon that was cream-first, or Cornwall that was cream-first.

• Like 2

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

Yep, it’s got to be the Devon way for me, cream on bottom followed by jam (Cornish clotted though )
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, Sunset said:

Which is correct?

image.jpeg.ee4ce6d52efc9ccca584f7f10efc95ee.jpeg

Don't give a damn.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, newjez said:

Don't give a damn.

If someone else is doing it for me, I don't care.  If I'm doing it myself, I'll put the jam on first, because that way I can pile on more cream (I'm one of those people who has a bit of scone and jam with my cream, not the other way around).

Edited by Marisawright
  • Like 3

Scot by birth, emigrated 1985 | Aussie husband applied UK spouse visa Jan 2015, granted March 2015, moved to UK May 2015 | Returned to Oz June 2016

"The stranger who comes home does not make himself at home but makes home itself strange." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

8 minutes ago, Marisawright said:

If someone else is doing it for me, I don't care.  If I'm doing it myself, I'll put the jam on first, because that way I can pile on more cream (I'm one of those people who has a bit of scone and jam with my cream, not the other way around).

It's a bit like the milk in the cup before you pour the tea or after.

I'll stick with my jam on first then the big dollop of cream.  I don't care if that's correct or not.  :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Milk in first just makes the drink weaker in my opinion, not that i drink milk now gave that udder stuff up years ago.

40 minutes ago, Toots said:

I'll stick with my jam on first then the big dollop of cream.  I don't care if that's correct or not.  :)

No, it's not like that.

• Sad 1

19 minutes ago, newjez said:

No, it's not like that.

RunDMC in da house.

2 hours ago, Toots said:

Are you trying to start world war lll or what ???

• Like 1
  • Haha 2