NSW drivers locence

Wulworra

Hello all,

just arrived (1 week in!) and trying to get as much sorted before I start work.  Next weeks priorities are Medicare and a driving licence.  How easy is it to transfer my uk licence?  I've looked up the rms website and it appears I rock up with id and don't need to take a test etc - is that correct?  I'll be going to the wynyard office but don't have access to a printer so hoping to do any form filling on the spot without having to do a repeat visit.  Any experiences?

thanks 

We did ours at the Bondi Junction office. Had to take 2 forms of ID, one with address, so we took passport and medicare card. Also our UK driving licence and proof of PR visa. There is a form to fill in but you get given it when you first turn up - probably takes about 5 minutes. We then did it all in one go, just stood at a desk while a person processed it. Quick eye test (literally just look over the attendants shoulder at a letter chart) and a photo for the licence. No new test or anything. Just be prepared for a bit of a wait if the office is busy, but once you get called up it's about 10-20 mins. Too easy.

Edited by RavenBlue

Haha, thank you both for your replies.  The easy bit is I have an Aussie passport the tricky bit is don't have a permanent address as in a holiday let at the moment so don't have any Id with an address on.  It's that vicious circle, can't get rental without a job, can't get Medicare (or any form of permanent Id) without an address, can't register with job agencies without the id.  Would you suggest Medicare first or will they also need something with an address on.  I can give friends addresses if it's just a case of somewhere to mail to but I can't prove where I live.  

We got our medicare cards when we were still in temporary accomodation, so gave them that address. You just need to be sure you'll be there for a good couple of weeks after that as it's where they'll send your medicare card. You can be getting on with that whenever. But with your drivers licence your address is printed on your licence, so it would be a pain (and maybe extra cost?) if you changed your address on that. We did wait until we had permanent accommodation before we did that.

And you should be able to register with job agencies with your passport? We were here 3 months before we got permanent accomodation but we signed up with job agencies almost the day we landed.

Thank you again, I'll get on to Medicare first then wait a bit for the drivers licence - it's more important to get a permanent address for that one.  I'll find it easier once I get one other piece of Id so will pursue Medicare as the next option.  

As as an aside RavenBlue, I notice you're in early days over here, how are you finding it?  

Yes, do Medicare first.  Our Medicare cards arrived within the week, just don't tell them it's temporary.  I think you can drive on a PR visa on a UK license for three months after you arrive, so it isn't urgent.  Once you have a Medicare card you are registered in the Aus Government system, so other things become easier.

@Wulworra its been quite a journey! There's just so much to do in the early days that it flys by, yet at the same time you don't really know what you've achieved sometimes! Getting our own flat was a turning point and then having a couple of months in jobs - it all just serves to start making you feel more settled. We've had our home sick moments, but mainly because you miss what you're used to. You just have to sit back and realise that part of moving somewhere like Australia is to experience a new and exciting way of life. It's different to the UK but that doesn't make it any less good. For us we're seeing this as a bit of an adventure, and if in a couple of years its not for us we'll go back. We're fortunate that we don't have children to worry about, so for us to move around is quite easy. The key is to take it one day at a time, and be grateful we even have this opportunity!

How are you finding things?

As with anyone moving to Australia - you have to give it at least two years before you make up your mind to stay or go. We came 19 years ago......and stayed. Australia is a wonderful country but it does have its downsides also; isolation, nanny-state politics, lack of decent pubs and Australian's of course! ?

3 minutes ago, BobHatton said:

As with anyone moving to Australia - you have to give it at least two years before you make up your mind to stay or go. We came 19 years ago......and stayed. Australia is a wonderful country but it does have its downsides also; isolation, nanny-state politics, lack of decent pubs and Australian's of course! ?

Min 3 years.  Oh and you really do need to get out more....

Haha, thank you LKC, RavenBlue, BobHatton and Bulya - it's good to hear from you all with views and advice.  The one day at a time advice is good as is the comfort in giving it 2 (or 3) years - don't act on knee jerk reactions and realise I will go through ups and downs of doubts.  I'm doing this on my own and sometimes dealing with all the business side of things gets me down and the comfort of 'home' is appealing but I'll throw myself out there - join groups and I'm sure look back in a years time with no regrets!