600 visa for mother in law to stay 12 months

Wonderingaloud

Hi All, am so confused. I am expecting my second baby and my mother in law would like to come out for 6-12 months to help out and see us and her grand daughter. 

I know she can apply for the 600 but which stream? 

Theres also talk of health exams and police checks- we don’t know if these are required at the time of lodgement or even required at all.

She has stayed on the 651 3 month stay a few times in the past and complied with visa conditions, and we are Australian citizens.

she is 70 years old but in excellent health. Will she need health insurance or does she meet requirements for reciprocal health agreement?

Thankyou in advance.

7 hours ago, Wonderingaloud said:

Hi All, am so confused. I am expecting my second baby and my mother in law would like to come out for 6-12 months to help out and see us and her grand daughter. 

I know she can apply for the 600 but which stream? 

Theres also talk of health exams and police checks- we don’t know if these are required at the time of lodgement or even required at all.

She has stayed on the 651 3 month stay a few times in the past and complied with visa conditions, and we are Australian citizens.

she is 70 years old but in excellent health. Will she need health insurance or does she meet requirements for reciprocal health agreement?

Thankyou in advance.

What country is she living in and what passport does she hold?

She may need a medical at that age.  And yes she should take out travel insurance.  She will be entitled to reciprocal Medicare though.  

When we travelled inEurope the EHIC card gave us reciprocal medical care but we still took out travel insurance.  What did she do on her previous visits?

So have you applied for and held the 600 visa rammygirl? 

I assume we just apply and await instructions from immi regarding if she will need medicals and/or crb checks?

Previous visits have been just to see us and her grandchild, we have also taken some time off and gone to Sydney etc. This trip is again to visit us and to help out seeing her 2nd grandchild when he/she is born.

No but looked at it for a relative before and read plenty on here.  Check out the parents thread.

they apply for the visitor stream of the 600.

https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/Pages/600-Visitor.aspx?TermStoreId=1cafda66-8aac-4a45-95fa-3e03872913b6&TermSetId=b8c60187-5f41-48c0-98a2-10cb7f1b0ea2&TermId=9fd6b749-b83c-4501-be3d-8edc77cef82d&AdditionalQuestion1=a holiday/visit family or friends&=true

theybwill not know if they need a medical until they have completed the form online, but age does have a bearing.

I meant did they not take out travel insurance on their other visits.

As parents of Australian residents they may be granted a more generous longer lasting visa if they mention this in their application.

As they have to apply for themselves and offshore you can’t do it for them.  You might be able to download the forms so you can help though.

• 1 month later...

Just to conclude this post, the 600 visa (tourist stream) was applied for and granted in 3 weeks. They asked only for a certified copy of her passport, no medicals etc. My understanding was if she had requested the longer validity length she would have required medicals then. As it is, she can stay for 12 months and the visa is valid 12 months from date of grant. 

• Like 1